Quote Originally Posted by manswtor View Post
    Threats like that are really useless, even if 100k went because of that reason it means completely nothing. You adapt or I would advice to start looking for a new game. Threats like that never worked when crz came out, nor when mythic was announced . Don't know if you noticed, but when someone says something like that blizzard makes fun out of them, which is the best thing to do
    Well of course Blizzard makes fun of them. Blizzard knows, from long experience, that most such threats are baldfaced lies. It costs a player absolutely nothing to say they are going to quit, so some will threaten that (falsely) under the delusion that that will get Blizzard to change their minds. But the people at Blizzard long ago clued in to all that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well of course Blizzard makes fun of them.
    Thats ok. I make fun of them if they lose 800.000 subscriptions in an expac.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Well of course Blizzard makes fun of them. Blizzard knows, from long experience, that most such threats are baldfaced lies. It costs a player absolutely nothing to say they are going to quit, so some will threaten that (falsely) under the delusion that that will get Blizzard to change their minds. But the people at Blizzard long ago clued in to all that.
    Yah but making fun of you customers and talking down to them is never a good thing.

Remember the learn to play comments regarding the Cata heroics, that didn't work out so well for them.

Blizzard has been on top for to long and because of that IMO they have become creatively and intellectually bankrupt or just lazy. They really don't produce the best game on the market anymore ... what they have though is a game that people have already vested so much of their lives in that it makes it difficult to step away and go to another game.

Hell I have over 400 days played on my account.

It is almost like a bad relationship.

I really wish some other game would rise to 6 million subs to challenge WoWs top spot then maybe just maybe they would stop treating WoW like it is a 10yr old game and start being innovative and creative again.

Seriously they only way these high payed individuals could come up with in regards to flight was remove it?... that is just pathetic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I really wish some other game would rise to 6 million subs to challenge WoWs top spot then maybe just maybe they would stop treating WoW like it is a 10yr old game and start being innovative and creative again.
    There is no wow killer needed. The devs manage to bleed out their game without any competition challenging them.

Seriously they only way these high payed individuals could come up with in regards to flight was remove it?... that is just pathetic.
    Reducing development effort with the most possible gain. To turn off flying is exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Thats ok. I make fun of them if they lose 800.000 subscriptions in an expac.
    Blizzard has also figuratively slapped people who go "lots of people will quit if you don't do X!" and "lots of people quit because of X!" I am guilty of that last one, I will admit.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

There is no wow killer needed. The devs manage to bleed out their game without any competition challenging them.
    WoW is still on top and is going to be for probably another 5 years at least...

Reducing development effort with the most possible gain. To turn off flying is exactly that.
    Yah I fully believe this is a test to see if they can get by with it. If they can they no longer have to render the game in 3d in future expacs.

Well off to play Wildstar.
    Last edited by Maneo; 2014-08-16 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    WoW's success is based on the revolutionary introduction of flight and being alt friendly. That is a big reason why City of Heroes lasted just as long when both games launched around the same time and in fact City of Heroes rise from the ashes could be more of a reality than most think.
    Wut? WoW's success trend began when leveling alts was like a part-time job and flying mounts were non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninepenny View Post
    Wut? WoW's success trend began when leveling alts was like a part-time job and flying mounts were non-existent.
    WoW was simply just better than anything in the market at the time. It was more casual friendly back then than anything around. It took off and went on from there. Compared to other games leveling was a breeze. (UO power hour anyone?)

7+ Year Old Account
    I hope they don't bring flying back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    If flying is detrimental to Blizz's vision they can add a 5-10 second flying debuff after you have disengaged from combat which reduces flight speed or unable to use a flight mount. That is how City of Heroes handled the problem of jousting. There is things Blizz can do to be creative instead of removing flight outright. How is it possible other MMO developers can come up with creative ways for travel while keeping a game balanced but WoW devs can not?

WoW's success is based on the revolutionary introduction of flight and being alt friendly. That is a big reason why City of Heroes lasted just as long when both games launched around the same time and in fact City of Heroes rise from the ashes could be more of a reality than most think.
    Wouldnt solve anything. Just CC the other player, run off while they stumble around and you're good to fly away.

Besides it's not just PvP.. the areas are boring if you can't explore them and can just fly to your destination and skip all the content.

So has it been confirmed theres no flying? I havent keep up with all the game news. If it is true i might resub to the game after closing my subscription literally one month after clearing heroic LK. The new player models looks nice, the story is a reach back to my favorite expansion and wc2 (my second favorite game). No flying is just a cherry on top if its for the whole dreanor.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2014-08-16 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    So has it been confirmed theres no flying? I havent keep up with all the game news.
    It's more of wait and see currently, they want to see their players reaction to inability to fly during first patch of Warlords of Draenor, and if player-base reacts negatively, they will simply reinstate it with Patch 6.1.

But I've strong believes that it'll come with the major patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you have the Devs telling the players to L2P during the Cata heroics that couldn't be PUGd by the majority of players... that went well for them.
    Well, back in beginning of Cataclysm - sure the heroics were a bit harder than they used to be, but I liked them and did most of them with randoms through Dungeon Finder... and like 95% of runs were extremely smooth. Maybe I was just lucky with players then, most of them knew when to CC and what or the tank just had brains and marked them for players.

"Mage, sheep moon."

Then you had the daily fiasco that went really well for them to didn't it.
    I liked it.

Hence why I am now playing Wildstar, damn fine game to be honest. They don't even have flight, but travel isn't a pain or a chore (well there is one area). Blizzard is unwilling to make the changes needed to accomplish this is WoW.
    If only my friends could have cut loose from World of Warcraft, I could be happily playing that while waiting for expac. But nah, they thought that it's more fun to grind Siege of Orgrimmar over and over.

Deleted
    I personally hope they wont come back with 6.1! No flying is actually one of the main reason why im so excited about draenor! Finaly WoW is going from a singleplayerRPG back to a MMORPG !

Quote Originally Posted by jd5 View Post
    Father to son...
    "Alright boy time to play WoW, what do you want to do today? Finish questing through the world?"
    "Nope."
    "Do a heroic dungeon or challenge mode?"
    "Nope."
    "Join a raid and defeat the mightiest of bosses?"
    "Nope."
    "Well then, what do you want to do?"
    <excitedly>
    "I want to jump off a cliff and glide into a cave for gold and achievements!"
    <long pause>
    <Father rummages through closet>
    "Here you go son."
    <hands him a Super Mario Brother game>
    "Enjoy."

This is why we can't have flying?!? Rope bridges and jump puzzles for achievements & gold. Give everyone a special pat on the back for mind-numbing useless shit they sell to us as actual content? Gotta make it seem rewarding or people won't do it themselves. Some days...
    Still more valid than "I don wanna run"

- - - Updated - - -

It adds NOTHING to the game, except to make it so max level players have to fight leveling mobs.
    why should anyone bother reading the rest of that when you blatantly disregard 820 pages of points saying the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    What, so you can glide to the cave instead of flying to the cave? You'll see all those secret shit while you level. After you're done leveling you should have seen it all...
    Not true at all.

And Idk why people freaked out about the few jumping puzzles on T.I.
    Last edited by Dormie; 2014-08-16 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evridej View Post
    I personally hope they wont come back with 6.1! No flying is actually one of the main reason why im so excited about draenor! Finaly WoW is going from a singleplayerRPG back to a MMORPG !
    Nothing is going to change the world content is still easy, very few reasons to group up still have LFR/LFD .. nothing is going to change except people are going to be out in the world less then they were before.

WoW is going to be a glorified lobby game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Well we now know the reason for no flying until 6.1.
    May not even happen in 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by twelvedogs View Post
    meh, as long as they add it in after i've levelled my first char and experienced their "awesome quest flow" i'm fine with it. bugger having to run everywhere every time on alts
    This is all a test to see if they could possibly get by w/out having to create flight in future expacs I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I think you're right. This way, they don't have to render the entire world for the release, just for 6.1. And you know what? If they just said that, I'd be fine with it. Don't give me this 'ruins immersion' crap.
    Expecting honesty and integrity from Blizzard... <snicker> that ship has sailed.

Quote Originally Posted by HollerTH View Post
    All those people standing around in the cities doing nothing are really going to suffer by not being able to fly.
    No it is the people who were out in the world doing things that are going to suffer and be driven into the cities (garrisons).

If the majority of your game is instanced content or you are just another capital city que person this isn't going to effect you. If you were out in the world doing things.. it is going make the already tedious tasks we have for max level content dailies (weekly now), archeology, pet battles, gathering etc etc... more tedious at best a chore at worst.

How is that a good thing?

Ok so back to what we were talking about in the other thread - I think it's really poor of Blizzard to talk about how the CE mount "swoops down from the sky" on the box marketing. Is the casual guy who looks at the box at Gamestop while deciding whether to preorder going to realize that it's pretty useless if he already has the Sethekk mount anyone can farm because they leave out that it CAN'T FLY IN ANY NEW CONTENT? Really Blizzard? Given how Blizzard has released the no-flying info I feel like it's the thing in WoD that more casual players are the least likely to know about. It wasn't announced during the main Blizzcon event, it wasn't on the launcher, dev watercooler,, it's not on the box, etc etc. I question whether any player who neither reads MMO champ or the WoW forums would even know about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are people "angry" about flight being removed? It's not necessarily about being angry flight's going away. You can be somewhere on sliding scale between mildly miffed and righteous fury.

I'm just slightly disappointed and a little annoyed something I enjoy is being taken away. I don't agree with the reasoning behind it or that the "benefits" out-weigh the sense of enjoyment I get from seeing the character I build flying on a freaking dragon.

I don't need to regurgitate the same arguments both sides have had back and forth, I'm not going to change anyone's mind. All I'll say is that if elements of your game design philosophy are so damn boring to begin with that people will fly over it, the problem is with the game design and not with the flying.

If you feel compelled to throw the old "People will take the path of least resistance" to a goal, then clearly the path Blizzard want you to take can't stand on its own as a compelling thing people want to do when an easier option is available.

I'll just say this: If you enjoy something in a game you don't try to skip over it.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    It's more of wait and see currently, they want to see their players reaction to inability to fly during first patch of Warlords of Draenor, and if player-base reacts negatively, they will simply reinstate it with Patch 6.1.

But I've strong believes that it'll come with the major patch.
    Hope you are right but I have my doubts... if Blizz can get by with this they will save a fortune on future development.

Well, back in beginning of Cataclysm - sure the heroics were a bit harder than they used to be, but I liked them and did most of them with randoms through Dungeon Finder... and like 95% of runs were extremely smooth. Maybe I was just lucky with players then, most of them knew when to CC and what or the tank just had brains and marked them for players.

"Mage, sheep moon."

I liked it.
    I had no problem with my guild group or my group of friends, the problem arose when I was gearing up a alt and couldn't get them to run them again (to much of a pain in the ass) and had to PUG them. I could seriously count on w/out having to use my toes how many times I completed a Heroic PUG in Cata.

Just curious were you playing a tank or healer?

If only my friends could have cut loose from World of Warcraft, I could be happily playing that while waiting for expac. But nah, they thought that it's more fun to grind Siege of Orgrimmar over and over.
    Yah it is a great game, the whole attunement is such a epic pain in the ass. Hell I don't even know if there is going to be 40 people on Dominion on my server.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'll just say this: If you enjoy something in a game you don't try to skip over it.
    I love WoW .. let me tell yah what I don't love.

Being max level riding through an area for the 100th time on my way to an objective to be dismounted by a mob that poses no threat challenge or reward to be compelling or fun game play.

Playing a enhance shaman I have zero way to drop those mobs... I think many of the people that have no problem w/flight being removed are classes that have a way to completely drop agro or they are capital city que types, or are suffering from blood loss to the brain because of the massive hard on they have for dreams of WPVP that won't happen.

Removing flight does nothing to benefit or improve game play for the players. It does however make the devs job easier, and possibly save them money ...

I'm all for the Wrath model. Reach max level on one character and you can buy (much needed gold sink) a book to teach your alts flying 3 levels before max.

Quote Originally Posted by whynotchris View Post
    I'm all for the Wrath model. Reach max level on one character and you can buy (much needed gold sink) a book to teach your alts flying 3 levels before max.
    hey and that was when WoW was at its peak. Must not have been to much wrong with it.