Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Speak for yourself.

I keep seeing this argument and I don't agree. First and foremost, it's an improvement over WoW's archaic systems of travel. Even then flying is not perfect, it's just better. Secondly, I do not consider mob density content.
    I like how normal, logical means of travel is 'archaic'.

Deleted
    One aspect of flying never gets mentioned: it isn't in any sense unique or challenging. You just effectively run in the air.
    You can't easily get knocked out of the even when attacked and you can't crash otherwise.

Real-life flight has considerable danger and requires skill. I feel that if flight wasn't as straightforward to execute then
    it wouldn't bring about the same trashskipping and other similar problems the devs referred to.

Quote Originally Posted by Deydrania View Post
    There's no flying now and people still never run into each other or if they do, they ignore each other.

There's no flying now and the ground is still deserted.

There's no flying now and I run into far more people outside of draenor than I ever have within this new expansion.

There's no flying now and even PvP realms are deserted and people are ignoring each other.

There's no flying now and the only time you see anyone anymore are during Apexis dailies and instances where no one would be flying even if we COULD fly!

Great job breaking it, hero.
    I guess you are playing on a death server then

Wildstar Black Ops - loved by strangers

Quote Originally Posted by iperson View Post
    If you enjoy the "gameplay" of flying you can still do that, but everyone knows that's not the truth. There's nothing "fun" about flying. It lets you skip parts of the game you don't like that bliz devs don't want to be skipped, and that's why you want it back. I wish you guys would just be honest and stop trying to make flight into something it's not. When you do that your argument falls flat, but then again, I assume you know that saying "I want to spend as little time in the world as possible while still getting stuff" isn't going to convince anyone of anything, so being dishonest with yourself and everyone else is the only way you see forward...
    If you hate flying so much, then you must walk everywhere. No skipping content? Then no flight paths, portals, summons, or ground mounts ever. You speak of dishonesty but you make such wild claims about yourself. I don't believe a word of what you're saying. Every portal you take, every summon you accept, every flight path you purchase, every mob you dart past on your favorite ground pounder is skipping content and avoiding gameplay.

You are the one being dishonest. Your reply was complete bullshit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    One aspect of flying never gets mentioned: it isn't in any sense unique or challenging. You just effectively run in the air.
    You can't easily get knocked out of the even when attacked and you can't crash otherwise.

Real-life flight has considerable danger and requires skill. I feel that if flight wasn't as straightforward to execute then
    it wouldn't bring about the same trashskipping and other similar problems the devs referred to.
    Real life flight uses machines that aren't smart. You are flying living creatures, or unliving creatures in a fantasy game. Apples and oranges.

We have also paid for training over and over again. Precious few people are more trained in flying things than our characters are. Our characters are skilled at flying, not us. Just as our characters are skilled at throwing fireballs.

Ground mounts are impervious to PvP. I've tried Death Grip, Asphyxiate, Remorseless Winter, and anything else I could and I still couldn't dismount someone off their ground mount. They got away. there was nothing I could do.

So unless Ground Mounts are changed to dismount the rider the instant they are attacked by anyone, I don't want to hear about how "safe" flying mounts are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deydrania View Post
    If you hate flying so much, then you must walk everywhere. No skipping content? Then no flight paths, portals, summons, or ground mounts ever. You speak of dishonesty but you make such wild claims about yourself. I don't believe a word of what you're saying. Every portal you take, every summon you accept, every flight path you purchase, every mob you dart past on your favorite ground pounder is skipping content and avoiding gameplay.

You are the one being dishonest. Your reply was complete bullshit.
    The key point here is " bliz devs don't want to be skipped". Flight paths get you to a zone but don't trivial the content when you are there. Be able to pick and choose your contact with the game world is overpowered and needs nerfing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    The key point here is " bliz devs don't want to be skipped". Flight paths get you to a zone but don't trivial the content when you are there. Be able to pick and choose your contact with the game world is overpowered and needs nerfing.
    Trivial and Overpowered are very subjective in this case. The overwhelming majority don't find the open world the least bit threatening, so nothing can make it more trivial than it already is. And flying has usually been for max level characters. Max level the most you are doing is picking up garrison resources and farming for apexis shards. Oh, so overpowered. It would make gathering less tedious and would do nothing to change the raid mob smashing group quests for apexis dailies.

Deleted
    I think it would be the best if they enabled flying for players who reached level 100.
    Viewing the world from a ground perspective makes you feel more immersed though, which is absolutely great for leveling.
    But every other area in WoW already fully supports flight, so why not Draenor? That would be a bit weird.

Why would I even want that? I went out into SMV on my level 100 the other day just to get enough lumber to start another work order. I had tremendously bad 'luck' getting repeatedly dismounted by the level 90 wolves out there, all of which I had to stop and kill because it was quicker than having them hound me for however long until they de-aggroed. It was a pain in the ass. What should have been a couple minutes at best turned into this irritating 10 minute excursion that was not fun at all.

I will never understand how that is enjoyable, "immersive", or "challenging" gameplay.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I like how normal, logical means of travel is 'archaic'.
    Because people don't all feel the same way, no matter how much you seem to think they should. To me ground travel feels archaic and honestly just *wrong*, and flight feels natural, normal, and logical.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2014-12-21 at 02:27 AM.

Deleted
    Why would I even want that? I went out into SMV on my level 100 the other day just to get enough lumber to start another work order. I had tremendously bad 'luck' getting repeatedly dismounted by the level 90 wolves out there, all of which I had to stop and kill because it was quicker than having them hound me for however long until they de-aggroed. It was a pain in the ass. What should have been a couple minutes at best turned into this irritating 10 minute excursion that was not fun at all.
    Step one: Get Stables Garrison Building
    Step two: Upgrade it
    Step three: Congrats, you now have a lower chance to get dazed by mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    The overwhelming majority - how can you claim this? I am playing on high populated PvP server where horde is dominant, where alliance doesn't exist. But put yourself on those realms that have both factions. Farming apexis crystals can be very dangerous if you can't avoid fighting between factions. Isn't that already big threat enough? You can as group pull more mobs but on top of those mobs you can get enemy faction to make everything harder. Choosing to fight to get what you want or just go away and do different type of quest to get apexis crystals are great options to the gameplay. With flying mount, you could just go to a "safe" place and when you see someone near, you can mount up and fly and avoid all that "threat" - which is supposed to be the part of the game.

We could now argue that then "you don't have a choice there" if you are forced to fight with opposite faction, because Blizzard see it fit. That is true but, for example, in order to play top rated PvP (arena in this case) you must choose specific combos that work the best, which again forces you to choose specific stuff, not just what you want, and that has no connection with flying mounts - it's just game design choice. This has been going on since Burning Crusade and I don't see why they would change things. If they remove flying in WoD because they think it makes people engage in more things rather than skipping them, I am totally fine with that.
    PvE mobs are trivial. This has nothing to do with pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Because people don't all feel the same way, no matter how much you seem to think they should. To me ground travel feels archaic and honestly just *wrong*, and flight feels natural, normal, and logical.
    And that is not logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    And that is not logical.
    Flight feels perfectly logical to me for our characters, while ground travel does not. This is a subjective preference, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise. It's a fantasy game, we have flying fantasy creatures we have befriended and trained and worked with for years, doesn't make logical sense to not be able to fly them, in my mind.

I will never understand how that is enjoyable, "immersive", or "challenging" gameplay.
    That's just it, the trade off for having a building that creates garrison resources without crafting material cost is time and effort. If you don't want that choose the trade hut instead and use TS mats. The devs want the world to be living and threatening, not just for you to fly over and spectate choosing to drop from the sky on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    and that was explained long time ago, blizzard allowed flying during levelling cause cata zone were in the middle of azeroth
    They allowed flying during the levelling as the half of Hijal anl Deepholme were unaccessible without flying, making you unable to progress past 81 otherwise.

Speak for yourself.

I keep seeing this argument and I don't agree. First and foremost, it's an improvement over WoW's archaic systems of travel. Even then flying is not perfect, it's just better. Secondly, I do not consider mob density content.

No idea who said that, perhaps you should quote the post and address it to the person individually instead of attributing it to those who prefer flying as a whole.
    Flying in SMV would be no different than flying in elwynd forest. If flight truly was fun then you'd go do it in all the many parts of the game where you can. You see, everyone sees through your arguments because there's no logic to them. The only reason you want flying is to skip content that blizzard doesn't want you to skip. Not because "weeeeee, loopty loops are fun." You can do those loopty loops in stormwind or orgimmar until your hearts content...

You can argue until you're blue in the face (okay, more blue), but nothing is going to change unless people start leaving the game, and there's absolutely zero evidence that's happening. Just because you're the loudest voice in the room doesn't mean anyone agrees with you...

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    Flight feels perfectly logical to me for our characters, while ground travel does not. This is a subjective preference, no matter how much you try to convince yourself otherwise. It's a fantasy game, we have flying fantasy creatures we have befriended and trained and worked with for years, doesn't make logical sense to not be able to fly them, in my mind.
    Pulling a flying dragon out of your bum isn't logical either.

I can't believe this is still going.