Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Australian Lag in Blizzard games. (Particularly Wow)

I thought I could handle playing Wow with 250-350 Ping. (Raiding at 350-500). However over time I've grown sick of the constant lag and delay.

Being biased I compare it to Dota 2 and Battle field 4. Both with Australian servers, I'm so jealous of the response times and smoother play they both offer.

I have used, Tunnels, smoothping, etc. in the past but it's hard to justify paying each month

Any suggestions? Solutions? Similar stories?

Thanks,

live in the U.S. or Europe, sorry man but you cant just ignore\get around hundreds or even thousands of kilometers of wires between you and servers, afaik "Oceanic" servers still in US.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It actually isn't Blizzards fault.

They tried to host servers but our greedy as fuck telecommunications services were going to charge them 10x the amount that they generally pay other countries to host servers in.

It was going to cost them far to much to appease a minority of their active players in AUS/NZ.

So whilst Blizzard DID try, from a purely business point of view they did not follow through since why should they have to pay huge amounts of money to keep a small number of players happy when their games are perfectly playable from Australia.

I'm an Aussie and I get between 150-190ms with my internet and that is without tunnels.

You would need to live in Europe or the US in order to have lower ping.

(I am thankful that i can play with 5-10ms)

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    wasnt TPG or IPGN offering to host the servers in Australia at one point for cheap but blizzard refused? or am i mistaken.

I generally get 170-180ms on optus cable.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SindariN View Post
    wasnt TPG or IPGN offering to host the servers in Australia at one point for cheap but blizzard refused? or am i mistaken.
    They refused because by that time servers for Oceanic had already been set in US, and the trouble to open up new servers into Aus and then deal with the mass amount of outcry and need to give free xfers/having people whinge about having to start fresh on Aussie servers was not worth their time by that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. In wow it isn't that big of a deal. They make room for it. I even used to rank in the top 20 for dps in my class. Games like titanfall it was a huge problem due to no Aussie servers. You can play most mmos with 200-300 ms. But you sure as hell can't play fps games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SindariN View Post
    It was internode. They offered to do it for almost free and blizzard knocked them back. I would happily have the oceanic realms be offline for a week or two for our own servers. But I guess blizzard are not.
    Aye mate

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Meh. In wow it isn't that big of a deal. They make room for it. I even used to rank in the top 20 for dps in my class. Games like titanfall it was a huge problem due to no Aussie servers. You can play most mmos with 200-300 ms. But you sure as hell can't play fps games.

- - - Updated - - -

It was internode. They offered to do it for almost free and blizzard knocked them back. I would happily have the oceanic realms be offline for a week or two for our own servers. But I guess blizzard are not.

Yeah i thought one company did, just couldn't remember the reason why they refused in the end. defiantly sucks but with optus cable i sit on around 180 so i cant complain to much.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play with anywhere from 180-220 most nights. 170-180 with tunnels - Optus routes to the US first anyway so tunnel services for me dont provide a whole lot (just gotta pray those fucks dont deciede to shape your data when you play).

It is certainly playable, I do remember sometimes I had difficultly interupting bosses such Heroic Halfus back in Cataclysm, I really wish that sometimes theyd take things like that in designing interupt stuff - some of it is very tight, weve had a few close calls with H protectors during progression.

The only thing you can do is move country or put forward a plan to Blizzard to provide local servers.

Honestly, with so many games from Blizzard - HotS, Diablo, Starcraft, WoW im surprised it hasnt been revisted.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have been playing with 100 to 200ms for years i don't think blizz will ever do anything for aussies and im fine with that now, i can't even imagine what its like to play with 10ms its probably wonderful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Murderdoll View Post
    (just gotta pray those fucks dont deciede to shape your data when you play).
    Do optus really do that? I am with internode and they keep trying to get me to download more so I buy data packets lol.
    Aye mate

Thanks for the replies guys, I figured I might be stuck in a trench. (I don't really want to move haha...)

I might consider tunnels or another service if it can cover all my blizzard games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I used a friends Battleping account for a while, worked with a nmber of games, used it to great effect for both RIFT and WoW, was a few years ago now so I'm not sure what it's like these days.

To be fair, as of late the ping for us in the states isn't much better. Our decaying infrastructure, saturated lines, and recently, throttling, is really slowing down speeds and increasing latency. AT&T's peering connections are jacked up as well and many of us on are now experiencing the same ping as the AU/NZ players. I couldn't fathom going from 20 to 200 MS awhile back but lately, it's been a reality.

Unfortunately, not much in terms of options for you guys other than seeing how a VPN works for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have the same issue, I average around 200 ms. I'll only not be able to get any significant raiding or pvp done but ya know. >_>

At least they're changing healing from reactive gameplay to thought provoking which will fix our latency problems as a healer.

The amount of Australians I know that stopped playing or are currently in the process of quitting for other games is ridiculous... it's sad that we get the short end of the stick and Blizzard won't do anything to fix it. If they can open up WoW in China, I'm pretty sure they can spare a few servers over here. -_-

You can raid fine with 200 ms. If you're getting 350 - 500 ms you must live in the bricks or have a really really shitty provider. Never had any issues interrupting abilities or dealing with mechanics. It can be a bit of an issue in PvP, but for PvE, having latency like that isn't going to stop you from killing bosses.

Your only options are to A) Get a better service provider, preferably one that can offer Cable, B) Move, C) Deal with it.
    Druid | UI | Youtube
    R1 & 14x Glad PvPer
    Honestly US 2nd / Ally World 1st

I'm in Australia and I don't have this issue with any online games...
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Australian ping has improved considerably over the years. Back in WotLK it was common to get ~300 ping consistently, but since Cata it went to around ~190 ping for most of us Australians.

Not a fault of Blizzard, if you want lower ping then move sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyphtics View Post
    You can raid fine with 200 ms. If you're getting 350 - 500 ms you must live in the bricks or have a really really shitty provider. Never had any issues interrupting abilities or dealing with mechanics. It can be a bit of an issue in PvP, but for PvE, having latency like that isn't going to stop you from killing bosses.

Your only options are to A) Get a better service provider, preferably one that can offer Cable, B) Move, C) Deal with it.
    I can raid normally, but I'm talking competitive play. If I ever wanted to join a Heroic guild, or go for rank 1 gladiator, it'd be quite difficult and we wouldn't have that option.