Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I don't mind too much, I think the lowest we would ever be able to get would be somewhere between 130-150 since that would be approximately how much is added from the deep sea cable. Don't think we'll see it that low until everyone has fibre connected to homes though which thanks to Abbott won't be for a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    I don't mind too much, I think the lowest we would ever be able to get would be somewhere between 130-150 since that would be approximately how much is added from the deep sea cable. Don't think we'll see it that low until everyone has fibre connected to homes though which thanks to Abbott won't be for a very long time.
    170ms is the lowest. MAYBE 160 if you are close to the connection. Anything below is imposable and anyone who says they get less is lying. Even with the NBN it will never get lower then that with the current setup.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    170ms is the lowest. MAYBE 160 if you are close to the connection. Anything below is imposable and anyone who says they get less is lying. Even with the NBN it will never get lower then that with the current setup.
    NBN just gives you plenty of bandwidth and reduces most of the local latency you get before your signal starts travelling the ocean. The stability you gain through that is amazing though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    NBN just gives you plenty of bandwidth and reduces most of the local latency you get before your signal starts travelling the ocean.
    As aussies we should be demanding for a few more ocean pipes to connect us to america better.
    Hi

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Should just hail our google overlords and ask them to give us fiber to home and no doubt they'd lay more pipes to australia, it'd piss off Telstra.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have got the southern cross cable and its not even being used too its full potential.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Am fine with semi-hardcore raiding at 200ms. The only time I really feel the sting is when I'm trying to PVP against those with double or single digit latency. They just appear to teleport around me. Pretty much stuffed at PVP lol.

Hey guys, OP. As for my location. I'm currently here: http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/vie...f7767efc372329

I used to be with Telstra, however I've changed to TPG (Moving out is expensive.)

It's mainly Raiding and Arena's I had issues with. (25 man raiding made my ping jump 250 -> 400) and I struggled with lock downs, interrupts in arena's.
    Mainly with melee characters. (It's crazy how different range vs melee can be played at 400 ping)

(Please delete if this part conflicts with mmochamps rules) Playing on a local private server made me insanely jealious, playing wow at 25 ping is just the bee's knee's. I'd rather play bugged free retail though.

Is there anything people have done to improve there latency? I have been researching but sometimes it's easier to ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the people I've known who play on TPG have had issues. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Most of the people I've known who play on TPG have had issues. :/
    I've had severe issues with tpg back when I was still with them. Really laggy connection, in games and in general. At peak hour I would get dial-up speeds.

It's mostly because TPG is so cheap that many people sign up with them.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Well I get between 150-160 on Telstra Cable in an inner Sydney suburb, generally sits around 155.

Granted, in the same suburb on ADSL I was around 170, but I know for a fact that sub 160 is possible if you have a decent connection in inner Sydney.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qck View Post
    Well I get between 150-160 on Telstra Cable in an inner Sydney suburb, generally sits around 155.

Granted, in the same suburb on ADSL I was around 170, but I know for a fact that sub 160 is possible if you have a decent connection in inner Sydney.
    It's cause the deep sea cable route starts at sydney isn't it?

I sit at 180-195 most of the time with Telstra adsl2 . I have been with other companies and have had up to 600 . As hard as this is to say , bigpuddle is the best provider , those in my guild on other providers all seem to have many more problems then I do . One of my guildmates is on the NBN and he sits nicely at 150 , he used to have huge problems before the NBN came to his area so if its available and you can afford it , jump on .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sul View Post
    so if its available and you can afford it , jump on .
    i wish the pollies would actually roll it out faster. the libs really need to adopt labours NBN policies. fibre to the home is what the country needs.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i wish the pollies would actually roll it out faster. the libs really need to adopt labours NBN policies. fibre to the home is what the country needs.
    It's not gonna happen as long as Abbot is on the throne. I dont intend to change my service from optus cable until FTTP is made available in my area. While quite pricey at $120/month I'm getting unlimited data and 100mbps speeds and I'm quite happy overall as I was getting speeds around 2.5mbps on my adsl2+ line back when I was there.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damedrius View Post
    I am pretty sure the only place in the US that will give you over 120ms on a decent broadband connection is Florida. If you're on any higher than that you are selecting the WRONG server. They have servers in California and New York. Even those in the center of the US will get less than 120ms on a broadband connection.

And if you're connecting to the closest server and still experiencing those network issues it's probably your personal connection and not based on server location.

Just to clarify, if you live in New York and select a server based in California then you will get 160-190ms ping. That is your mistake. If you live in Australia we only have one option; Above 160ms.

Also, the reason why we don't have real oceanic servers is not because it's too expensive. It's due to Blizzards 'cbf' attitude when it comes to delivering us a reasonable service.
    For years I was on the best broadband connection available to me in NY and playing on a Central time zone US server and getting almost 300ms. At the time I was in a server first guild on a decent server as the main tank and also managed gladiator in at least one season. So it always seemed odd to me that people said they couldn't play at over 100ms. Now, years later, on the same server and from roughly the same location I'm getting 85ms~ and I don't feel that I have any kind of advantage because of it. The ping thing is largely overrated. *shrug*

Edit: To be fair, there was like a 1.5 year period between when I stopped playing with the 300ms and when I started playing with the 85ms~ So I'm sure there is a noticeable difference that I just missed out on because it had been awhile since I played. If I'd be one day playing with 300ms and the next day 85ms I'm sure I'd have noticed a difference.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    For years I was on the best broadband connection available to me in NY and playing on a Central time zone US server and getting almost 300ms. At the time I was in a server first guild on a decent server as the main tank and also managed gladiator in at least one season. So it always seemed odd to me that people said they couldn't play at over 100ms. Now, years later, on the same server and from roughly the same location I'm getting 85ms~ and I don't feel that I have any kind of advantage because of it. The ping thing is largely overrated. *shrug*
    You dont feel it at all until you hit the higher ping ranges, 300-500ms and up.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    We can't get ping below the time it takes light to travel from our location to theirs. NBN fibre optic cables cause data to travel at 99.4% of the speed of light(correct me if I am wrong, it's somewhere around that). And it takes more than 160ms to get from Sydney to LA at the speed of light so unless we get local servers. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post

Edit: To be fair, there was like a 1.5 year period between when I stopped playing with the 300ms and when I started playing with the 85ms~ So I'm sure there is a noticeable difference that I just missed out on because it had been awhile since I played. If I'd be one day playing with 300ms and the next day 85ms I'm sure I'd have noticed a difference.
    That would be because they increased server capacity and added more servers in that time frame.

Edit: I just wanted to leave this here Yes, that is what I pay $100 a month for on Telstra. GO TELSTRA! NBN would at most chop 40 ms off that due to copper being terrible.
    Last edited by Damedrius; 2014-03-10 at 07:41 AM.
    This is not a part of the post I just made.

Far out man. This is what i get for just $20 more.

176ms to LA.
    Last edited by Evil Inside; 2014-03-10 at 07:52 AM.

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Its what gamers and people who download movies want. Its not what the country needs.

To have it would be nice.

End of the day, Fibre isnt going to solve this issue. The biggest issue is the sheer distance between countries.
    Last edited by Murderdoll; 2014-03-10 at 07:52 AM.