Thread: Water cooling

Question Water cooling

Looking to go Watercooling on my build, i have a pretty big case for a decent size reservoir, have 2 GTX 760's and LGA 1155 socket, is there any complete kits or would it all have to be custom?

Was looking at a H100i CPU cooler and going watercooling on my GPU but not sure if its worth it, any advice much appreciated.
    Build:
    i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz - 3.9GHz (turbo)
    x2 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC Edition 4GB
    G. Skill Ares 32GB (4x8GB)
    Aeorcool Strike-X Super FT
    Aerocool Strike-X 1100w PSU

Why use a H100i if you are going to get a proper loop for the GPU anyway?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

15+ Year Old Account
    There are some pretty good kits for starting that basically include everything you need apart from the waterblocks for the cards. Check out your local watercooling vendors, I think EK at least makes full kits. You'll probably need something along the lines of 2x240 (480) radiator space for dual 760'. Only problem would be finding water blocks for the lower end cards, can't remember off the top of my head if those are sold.

Problems with full kits are of course that you can't customize them to your own liking. When you find yourself buying more and more stuff on top of the kit it starts to lose it's value and you might as well pick it all up yourself. Something like tubing and fittings are the things people usually like to customize the most (kits usually include only barb fittings).

These are the kind of kits you'd be looking at. LINK Only parts for the cpu so you have to get GPU waterblock etc seperate. Or you can compile a list of parts yourself and work from there, but a think a kit is the best start if it's your first time.

They're a lot more work then pretty much anything else at least in my experience and they can get expensive so, there's a warning. That being said they're good fun to install if you enjoy that kind of work.

edit: if you're going to cool your gpu's don't even bother with an AIO cooler for the cpu, better (and cleaner) to do it all in one loop.

won't be customizing the kits, or any water cooling part wouldn't want to change something and it all to burst out. I've researched water blocks for the 760's and apparently they are the same as 670 or 680's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    These are the kind of kits you'd be looking at. LINK Only parts for the cpu so you have to get GPU waterblock etc seperate. Or you can compile a list of parts yourself and work from there, but a think a kit is the best start if it's your first time.

They're a lot more work then pretty much anything else at least in my experience and they can get expensive so, there's a warning. That being said they're good fun to install if you enjoy that kind of work.

edit: if you're going to cool your gpu's don't even bother with an AIO cooler for the cpu, better (and cleaner) to do it all in one loop.
    expense isn't much of an issue to me since my rig was 4k, I read reviews on the H100i and everyone basically said it was best for the CPU, but if it turns out that having a all-in-one water cooling inc CPU would be more performance based or beneficial for my rig will probably lean towards the kits.
    Build:

You really don't need to water cool the GPUs unless you intend to OC them. Ditto CPU. If you really don't care about cost and it's more a hobby thing though get the custom parts. If you're hardcore about it I might opt for a phase cooling system.

Seriously though get the gpu blocks, get the cpu block, get the pump, get the radiator, get some extra cpu fans, get a small reservoir (or if you can nail it do it with no reservoir), get metal clamps (screw plastic clamps - they suck), get some tygon silver tubing to reduce mold and have fun with it.

Honestly there is minimal performance benefits from liquid cooling. Maybe 3% over a after-market cpu fan. If you really want to go there realize it's a luxury of the highest order and the only tangible benefit is noise reduction.

Agreed the H100i is a nice cpu liquid cooling setup. If you really want to OC your cpu hard and can stomach not OCing your gpus I'd opt for that and call it a day. Still get almost identical performance from most post-market cpu fans.

If you really want to have some fun go look up pugent sound's liquid immersion computers. drop the whole thing in mineral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    You really don't need to water cool the GPUs unless you intend to OC them. Ditto CPU. If you really don't care about cost and it's more a hobby thing though get the custom parts. If you're hardcore about it I might opt for a phase cooling system.

Seriously though get the gpu blocks, get the cpu block, get the pump, get the radiator, get some extra cpu fans, get a small reservoir (or if you can nail it do it with no reservoir), get metal clamps (screw plastic clamps - they suck), get some tygon silver tubing to reduce mold and have fun with it.

Honestly there is minimal performance benefits from liquid cooling. Maybe 3% over a after-market cpu fan. If you really want to go there realize it's a luxury of the highest order and the only tangible benefit is noise reduction.

Agreed the H100i is a nice cpu liquid cooling setup. If you really want to OC your cpu hard and can stomach not OCing your gpus I'd opt for that and call it a day. Still get almost identical performance from most post-market cpu fans.

If you really want to have some fun go look up pugent sound's liquid immersion computers. drop the whole thing in mineral oil.
    GPUs are stock OC but want to clock them a bit more than factory OCing, i messaged xs-pc (ref from Jakexe) and asked for a quote on a kit, the hardest part is finding the blocks that would fit the fittings etc, not bothered about sound either so yes i guess you could call it a hobby
    Build:

Quote Originally Posted by chookenz View Post
    GPUs are stock OC but want to clock them a bit more than factory OCing, i messaged xs-pc (ref from Jakexe) and asked for a quote on a kit, the hardest part is finding the blocks that would fit the fittings etc, not bothered about sound either so yes i guess you could call it a hobby
    You can mildly OC them without blocks. If you really want to go tere just be sure to pay close attention to the fittings sizes and make sure they match up. I strongly recommend copper blocks/fittings and to NOT mix metals at any point in the line. Metal mixing causes corrosion. And do get the tygon silver tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by chookenz View Post
    XSPC do GPU blocks as well (good ones). The standard in the industry is arguably G1/4 fittings so it isn't hard to make sure everything is compatible. As for sound I don't find them loud at all, mine atleast is just a gently hum. One of my HDD can easily drown it out.

For some rough ideas of the temps I have some ok OC's on my cpu and gpu. The cpu gets to about 55C under stress which is about 1-2C lower then when I had a NH-D14 on it. My gpu gets to about 52C, it use to see 90-95C on the stock cooler at stock speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Angella View Post
    You can mildly OC them without blocks. If you really want to go tere just be sure to pay close attention to the fittings sizes and make sure they match up. I strongly recommend copper blocks/fittings and to NOT mix metals at any point in the line. Metal mixing causes corrosion. And do get the tygon silver tubing.
    Will make sure i get copper blocks/fittings, tygon silver tubing and right fittings

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    XSPC do GPU blocks as well (good ones). The standard in the industry is arguably G1/4 fittings so it isn't hard to make sure everything is compatible. As for sound I don't find them loud at all, mine atleast is just a gently hum. One of my HDD can easily drown it out.

For some rough ideas of the temps I have some ok OC's on my cpu and gpu. The cpu gets to about 55C under stress which is about 1-2C lower then when I had a NH-D14 on it. My gpu gets to about 52C, it use to see 90-95C on the stock cooler at stock speeds.
    gets to 50 with stock cooling and factory OCing but from what ive seen that's normal but when I will OC them more in the future the standard cooling wont hold as much as i'd like it to
    Build: