Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The problem is still that the info written down in guides might be baseless conjecture or just plain wrong. How can you guarantee that a "Bronze V" is gonna spot the oddities? Videos/streams, however, shows proof. I've very rarely seen anyone insert such proof into their guides.

That goes especially for Mobafire, which is horribly wrong a lot of the time. Heck, the amount of times I've seen extremely bad guides have high ratings is scary. I don't know if it just ends up working because the people trying it met bad players or what, but the quality control on that site is terrible.

Anyway, the point is, I don't know anyone who would need guides, that would extract any useful information out of them on their own. I think it would just be a lot better to learn on your own, by paying attention and reading up on what stuff does, than having information spoon-fed to you because you're lazy or something. Guides are not going to make lazy/stupid people suddenly better.

Though honestly, I think Riot could do a much better job explaining some things to newer/inexperienced players.
    Last edited by NotValidAnymore; 2014-03-11 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    The problem is still that the info written down in guides might be baseless conjecture or just plain wrong. How can you guarantee that a "Bronze V" is gonna spot the oddities? Videos/streams, however, shows proof. I've very rarely seen anyone insert such proof into their guides.
    A video can be just as wrong as anything written. How can you guarantee that a Bronze V is gonna know when something that worked once in a video, is gonna work the majority of the time?
    Granted, most videos are legit, as they're often more time-consuming to make and trolls can't be bothered to spend that amount of time on a troll guide.
    However, arguing that written guides may be plain wrong is 'stupid' (in lack of a better word. My English is failing me), as information in videos might be plain wrong as well.

That goes especially for Mobafire, which is horribly wrong a lot of the time. Heck, the amount of times I've seen extremely bad guides have high ratings is scary. I don't know if it just ends up working because the people trying it met bad players or what, but the quality control on that site is terrible.
    Not gonna argue about Mobafire. That's the one place I would never recommend anyone to go look up guides.

Anyway, the point is, I don't know anyone who would need guides, that would extract any useful information out of them on their own.
    Well... I often look up a couple of guides whenever I want to learn a new champion for Ranked. The guides rarely contain anything I probably wouldn't learn on my own, but they give me a kind of head start in learning that champion.
    I could spend hours upon hours theorizing, debating choices with myself, finding all the tricks and then learning them. Instead I have a good starting point and can focus on learning the combos/tricks listed in the guide, I have several builds and that gives me an idea of how to balance the different stats and I can focus on actually playing the champion.
    Then I can always start experimenting, once I have played that champion in a way that works and have gotten first-hand experience with different matchups. I can compare my experimental builds and the like, to the good starting point that I had (assuming I read a good guide).

I think it would just be a lot better to learn on your own, by paying attention and reading up on what stuff does, than having information spoon-fed to you because you're lazy or something.
    So the ideas of schools, teachers and students are just a bad practice that's been adopted all over the world?
    A guide is like a crash course and it provides you with a lot of information, that you can then build upon and use to figure out more complicated stuff.
    You're being taught by someone who knows what they're doing and you're most likely gonna learn it hundreds of times faster than by experimenting. Whatever you're not taught in the guide, you can learn while you put the knowledge from the guide into action.

Guides are not going to make lazy/stupid people suddenly better.
    Agreed. But isn't this discussion about the pros and cons of different ways to acquire information?
    Last edited by Riboe; 2014-03-11 at 07:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Why are you talking about guides, and then saying Mobafire? I mean, you gonna tell me that the guides from the pros on solomid aren't worth reading?

Btw you can't learn anything from streams and videos, only that players in bronze are terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Then you've been watching the wrong streams/videos.
    No shit Sherlock. I'm so glad you pointed out the insanely obvious. Have a funny video as a reward.

Deleted
    I found Mobafire extremely unclear so went to Solomid almost immideatily. You can see who wrote the guide, when it was updated, and its pretty clean mostly. Afterwards I shifted to Lolking, but the +/- system doesn't really seem to work well...

10+ Year Old Account
    SIT DOWN AND PLAY!

There is no better way to ltp than playing the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Probuilds.net , you can compare different players champion picks for recent games. for example the last 10 leona games by 7 different players, you can compare each players runes masteries builds and team comps. And then make a build from your conclusion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    SIT DOWN AND PLAY!

There is no better way to ltp than playing the game
    If I'm playing a champ I haven't actually used before, you bet your arse I'm gonna jump onto a guide to have a quick dekko at item builds and spell co-efficients while in the lobby/loading.

Takes like sixteen seconds to work out "OK this champ clearly benefits most from attack speed rather than raw AD" or "OK, this ability scales best early so that's my first max" or "Wow, super mana costs, should probably go an early Tear". Then when the game loads I have a rough idea what to buy and skill first and am not sitting in fountain for thirty seconds like a juggins mousing over all the abilities.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

i just copy the pros. ez pz probuilds.net

10+ Year Old Account
    It's easier to learn from watching someone play than reading a guide. How is that not logical?
    yeah because when you study you watch videos and not read books at all