View Poll Results: If WoW had never changed, would you still be playing?

Voters
512. This poll is closed
  • Yes - I loved it back then

159 31.05%
  • No - The QoL changes were important

305 59.57%
  • Other / Don't Care (explain below)

48 9.38%
Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question If World of Warcraft had never changed...

In another thread, in a different discussion, I made an observation which was met with some hesitancy. So, I thought I would pose the question to our small sample group here at MMO Champ. So, here is it:

"If World of Warcraft had never changed, and we still had to do everything today that was required of us in Vanilla, would you still be playing after all these years?"

Essentially, things like:

- Hunters can only use a backpack (16 slots), 3 bags, and a quiver or ammo pouch, and have to buy ammo
    - Pets have to be fed
    - Reagents are a real thing
    - You can run out of ammo
    - There are no flying mounts
    - You get your ground mounts at lvl 40 and 60
    - Rogues have to make poisons again
    - Locks have to farm shards
    - Pallies and Locks have to quest to get their class mount at 40 and 60
    - Druids now have to go through long chain quests for animal forms which now come at later levels
    - No Paladins on Horde
    - No Shaman on Alliance
    - No Dual Spec
    - No Transmog
    - No Reforge (even if it is now going away)

and the list goes on...

Would you still be playing this game if everything you had to do back then was still expected of you? If NOTHING ever changed... if all we did was get new content but EVERYTHING remained exactly as it was...
    Last edited by -Superman-; 2014-03-10 at 05:17 PM. Reason: added items listed by others

Deleted
    yes i would actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Myself, I said no. I think the QoL changes which have occurred throughout the years were vital to making the game feel more like a game, and less like a job. Grindy mechanics were not exactly quality content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... none of the things bother me in anyway (maybe a little bit the quiver thing)

Note: I play hunter, priest and warlock...

The only thing that would bother me is the equipment process (all the things you had to do to get 1 item)

Note: If the game hadn't made the changes it did, it wouldn't have survived...

Don't forget only Alliance or Horde on a Server!
    [EU] Blackmoore - Cola (RestoDruid) & Shiq (Hunter)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolg View Post
    Don't forget only Alliance or Horde on a Server!
    Yep. You had to actually pick a side.

It was great back then. But it's great now too. It has evolved as much as I have, and that's a good thing.

There is no option for me up there If WOW didn't change I would still be playing as opposed to finally quitting at the end of WOTLK like I did.

Now a days I just chill on private TBC servers because blizzard doesn't want to provide a gaming environment I would enjoy gaming in.

Deleted
    As much as it was more 'realist' back then I wouldn't go back even if they paid me. I liked it, don't get me wrong but it's more comfortable to play now.

Deleted
    Without all the changes WoW would have probably been dead by now. Things like LFG and LFR keep it alive

you also forgot shaman totem quests and rogues having to level lockpicking...but yeah list goes on and on. i'd probably still be playing.

of course. one of the reasons i started playing wow is because i like RPGs and those are aspects of an RPG.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispirit View Post
    you also forgot shaman totem quests and rogues having to level lockpicking...but yeah list goes on and on. i'd probably still be playing.
    Oh Cthulhu almighty, the warlock quests.

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    Without all the changes WoW would have probably been dead by now. Things like LFG and LFR keep it alive
    pure 100% speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by ZwuckeL View Post
    and I disagree. They are what kill the community.

The private TBC server I play on is 100 times better then retail because there is no LFG or Looking for Retard on it. You actually have to communicate with the people around you and interact as opposed to clicking buttons all day on retail.

Warning: Just to make it clear, advertisement, discussion or referal to private servers is against the guidelines.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-03-12 at 02:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post
    There is no option for me up there If WOW didn't change I would still be playing as opposed to finally quitting at the end of WOTLK like I did.

Now a days I just chill on private TBC servers because blizzard doesn't want to provide a gaming environment I would enjoy gaming in.
    You fall under option 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno, doesn't really matter for most of my classes. Druid would be a bit annoying now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Private servers are fun for a nostalgic weekend, for me. But they always end up rekindling my love affair with retail.

And fuck ammo. And mana. And even buggier pets. And having to tame and train seventymillion other pets to give your raiding companion the best skills.

All imo, of course.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Brooxi View Post

So you haven't played for 4~ years yet the game still isn't up to snuff for you?

How...What...Why...Huh?

The only complaint I'd have is the whole "You play this class, so you must do that role" thing the game was doing in old WoW. You only had one tier set per class, and a role you were "supposed" to perform as a certain class. Things like fury warriors, boomkin druids, any class other than a warrior tanking, etc, weren't really acceptable back then. If you were a warrior, you tanked. If your class had a healing spec, you did that. If you were a Paladin, you got to be a healbot / buff bitch. Even the "pure" classes had one spec that was by far the best and two other specs that sucked compared to it. There was no real variety when it came to choosing specs.

Aside from a few exceptions, of course. I've watched videos of fury warriors kicking ass in Naxxramas from back in the day. But it wasn't anywhere near as acceptable back then. I couldn't tell you how many times I got laughed right out of 5-man pugs back in Classic WoW because I wanted to do something besides tank on my warrior.

Considering I switched my warrior to fury in BC because I got sick of tanking at that point, I imagine I would've either switched to another class or quit playing if BC hadn't come along and made those multiple specs more viable.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2014-03-11 at 05:01 PM.