Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I always liked the atmosphere of fallout 3 much more then NV. And u guys are forgetting the vaults. FO3 had so much better vaults.
    And FO3 always seemed to be way more explorable.
    if the graphics suck too much (which they still shouldnt) get some mods and it should be ok.

As someone who has played both since they were released and continue to play them to this day, get both of them.

And it HAS to be on the PC. The console versions are steaming piles of shit compared to the PC versions because there are many, MANY, bugs in both games that can be fixed with mods (Look up Fallout New Vegas Nexus or Fallout 3 Nexus).

Not to mention, as Garradorr said, there is the "Tale of Two Wastelands" mod that does in fact combine both of them.

Remembered this video. It's a good example of what modding the game can do.
    Last edited by Zaelkath; 2014-03-11 at 03:07 AM.
    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

If you can wait maybe till the steam summer sale and pick up both for like $10 each with all the dlc included they always go on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Alright I was planning on getting it for the Xbox 360 does this change any opinions about how to go about it? I was thinking 3 for the same reason I picked up Oblivion after Skyrim, some context and old story arcs that play a role later.
    I'm going to agree with the people who said get them on PC because of the mods which you can get at Nexus mods or via the Steam workshop.

I never played Fallout 1 or 2 so I can't rate Fallout 3 or New Vegas within the context of the series but as standalone games I rate them both very highly. I feel the biggest difference between them is the atmosphere: NV feels like a growing, hopeful, healthy civilization expanding into an abandoned ghost town whose inhabitants just moved elsewhere (instead of having died in a nuclear holocaust). The world of F3 feels like a hopeless ruin with no future and only a few pockets of survivors scavenging among the bones of a dead civilization. Offhand I think virtually everyone in NV lived in a proper building whereas in F3 outside of the named settlements it seemed like everyone lived in whatever space they could find like half-collapsed metro stations, underground maintenance tunnels or the under-structure of a bridge.

New Vegas yes, one of the best games released this decade. Fallout 3 is pretty meh. Feels like fan made Fallout mod for Oblivion more than anything.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i for one prefered fallout 3 somehow. New Vegas is good, improved in some way, but the game assume a lot of thing the player suppose to know from having played Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is the perfect introduction to the universe (i never played the 1 and 2).

Deleted
    Fallout 3 is an under-rated gem imo. There was a lot of negative fan reaction as it was not isomorphic, turn based with tiles etc. I played it a bit, put it aside. But overtime, I really grown to appreciate it. It's Morrowind with guns. Except, to me, it really does still feel like Fallout - it's Morrowind in the Fallout world. Trying to navigate the destroyed Washington DC metro first person, facing formidable super mutants, is extremely immersive. The side quests are rather whacky (that guide to the Wasteland woman, aaargh!) but I found them better than most Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim ones. The main quest is really compelling to me, but then if Liam Neeson told me to jump off the Washington memorial, I would. The end of the main quest is a wonderful payoff, similar to the end of FO2.

Fallout New Vegas is quite a different beast. It's more like a Bioware game, with lots of talking, factional politics and more branching well fleshed out sidequests than you could imagine. I like it a lot, but the world is not as hostile and stark as that of FO3 (more people, more civilization), so ultimately, it did not catch my imagination quite as much. You can quite quickly get overpowered (thanks to very powerful NPC allies) whereas FO remained more challenging for longer.

Deleted
    holy shit, how could you miss 2 of the greatest rpg of prevoius generation
    get them now, seriously.

Fallout 3 is better imo, I played it on PC for about 300 hours, and later on PS3 for same amount,
    Fallout New Vegas was also great, but tbh it felt more like a dlc to F3, and that crappy desert - meh

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like much better the song selection in fallout 3. In New Vegas, there's only a couple of song i actually like.
    and of course, fallout 3 has threeeeeeee Dog.

overall yes, i felt a better immersion in fallout 3.

Definitely get them! Fallout series is one of my favorites, I enjoyed 3 a lot more than NV though the quests and the world seemed better at least imo. It doesn't matter what you get them for I played fallout on ps3, xbox and PC and had the same experience on all of them. Also, don't forget to get the goty edition for the dlc they're actually good compared to some dlc for games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    I like much better the song selection in fallout 3. In New Vegas, there's only a couple of song i actually like.
    and of course, fallout 3 has threeeeeeee Dog.

overall yes, i felt a better immersion in fallout 3.
    agree with music, F3 was much better, I played with radio on, in NV I had to switch it off really fast (ambient music is excelent though)
    I also loved story in Fallout 3, you were born in a vault and then you had to leave it, all this huge open dangerous world was new to this young vault dweller as it was to us, very immersive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smackyslap View Post
    If you can wait maybe till the steam summer sale and pick up both for like $10 each with all the dlc included they always go on sale.
    There's also the spring sale coming soon, so no need to wait till summer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I am a fan of TES and enjoyed both Skyrim and Oblivion. I know that Fallout is for the most part handled by the same company. I was thinking of picking it up, but before I spend even a small amount of money *used copy is 5 bucks for 3 at GS*. I want to know if I would like it.
    It gets boring faster then TES games due the setting of the game (sand and dust can only remain cool to see for so long). Theres only a small minority who complete the game, but it is a rather fun game I think.

If you got shitloads of time to spend I'd say get it, it's not worth it for short time period a casual gamer has with the game being as big as it is.

Protip:Buy DLC as a gift and claim them later...buying DLC will automaticly install and activate itself which fucks over the storyline and questing.

Yes, they are one of the rare "actually good" games to have come out recently
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Buy them, now. They're fantastic.
    Personally I liked New Vegas better than FO3 as it had more of a classic Fallout feel (which makes sense), but FO3 is superb for being a huge world post-apocalyptic exploration RPG.

They're two of the best RPGs to come out in recent years.

10+ Year Old Account
    If possible, I would recommend getting them on PC, but they are definitely worth it if you have been a fan of Skyrim/Elder Scrolls.

If you're a fan of the old FallOut series, you have to bear in mind that its not the same type of game. It does stay true to most of the themes, but the gameplay is very different.

This is excellent video of why I prefer FO:NV over FO3 without making statements on subject of "which game is better". It gets a while to get going but the whole "irrelevant" stuff he talks about is actually very relevant.

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I actually prefered fallout 3 to new vegas. I dont really know why. Both of them are really great, and you should definately get them.

Just Fallout 3. NV is just dull and boring, specially the DLC which everyone raves about but is actually garbage. Fallout 3 just had 1 bad DLC (Point Lookout) compared to NV's 1 good (Honest Hearts).

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong View Post
    Just Fallout 3. NV is just dull and boring, specially the DLC which everyone raves about but is actually garbage. Fallout 3 just had 1 bad DLC (Point Lookout) compared to NV's 1 good (Honest Hearts).
    This is the sort of talk you can expect from person who probably chose the golden goblet at the end of Last Crusade. "Oo shiney."
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988