Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have good people ever won in this world?

Feeling a bit down today, but more importantly, it prompted me to question this. 99% of the time, it seems that only the depraved seem to triumph on earth. Would you say this is true or would you say that the term "good" is too subjective? Personally, I think when you look at history, the vast majority of the time, it's just the strong exploiting the weak.

10+ Year Old Account
    An easy one would be the American Revolution, though that's all a matter of perspective. People tend to be good at times and bad at times so it's a matter of taking it victory by victory.

Deleted
    We've created our own definitions of good and bad, and by those definitions; yes. Good people have won many times.

Deleted
    Let's see, I have a warmed and roomy house, a full stomach and a full fridge, a nice bed, a good job that pays well, I can get deadly sick and get medical care for millions without paying a cent (well taxes, still), I can lose my job and not be forced out of my house in two days. I'd say a lot of good people won for me to have the ability to have and/or work for all those things.
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2014-03-11 at 04:29 AM.

World War II.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure.........someone.........somewhere..........maybe......I don't really know.

good people tend to be dumb people
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Well history is written by the victors, and they all tend to consider themselves good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Eventually good will always triumph over evil. Just looks at civil rights. It used to be black people had to sit in the back of the bus, couldn't vote, etc. but they stood up for themselves. Were they stronger than the white populace? Not by a long shot, and yet they prevailed because their cause was just.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    Feeling a bit down today, but more importantly, it prompted me to question this. 99% of the time, it seems that only the depraved seem to triumph on earth. Would you say this is true or would you say that the term "good" is too subjective? Personally, I think when you look at history, the vast majority of the time, it's just the strong exploiting the weak.
    Ask any free black person if good has ever triumphed over evil.

I could list several others (Women's suffrage, Mother Teresa, the millions of charities, ect) but I'm too tired.

My suggestion is for you to stop watching the internet/TV news for a week. Reality is what's outside your window and in front of your face. Not the noise they beam in front of your eyes. Realize you have a conscious choice to listen to what music you want, what sources of media to read, and what you wish to think at that very moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    The short answer is yes. I mean you're asking a very easy question here. Have they ever? Absolutely. Do they usually? Who knows.

Deleted
    There is no "good" or "evil", so the answer to your question would be no. "Good" people have never won anything, as there are, nor have there ever been any.

What most people think of as "altruism" is based on selfishness; people do deeds they deem to be "good", because they think it's "right", and that thought makes them feel good about themselves. That's the literal definition of being selfish; doing something that makes yourself feel good.

"True" altruism would be an act that you did out of purely logical reasons, even though you didn't want to do it, and it would haunt you for the rest of your life, and you'd think it's the absolutely wrong thing to do. That way it would be completely selfless, and logic would still dictate it would've been the absolute best thing to do. However, it would have to be something that even knowing that logic, you couldn't feel good about it.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2014-03-11 at 08:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    There is no "good" or "evil", so the answer to your question would be no. "Good" people have never won anything, as there are, nor have there ever been any.
    That's a big absolute there Darth Sydanyo.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    That's a big absolute there Darth Sydanyo.
    Read the edit, perhaps that'll shed a light.

Gandhi.

And that's basically all. The other examples are just a matter of perspective, who is to say what is right or wrong? But I think everyone can agree that Gandhi's non-violent protests were both a shining example to all of justified moral high ground with maximum results.

Deleted
    depends on the point of view.

Group A tried to defend there homelands, people, way of life and their beliefs from an invading army, to them they are good people
    Group B deiced to explore and settle a new land, in the process they brought their version of law and order to a country that to them seemed lawless, they seen themselves as good.

Group A = Early Europeans
    Group B = Roman Empire

15+ Year Old Account
    good and bad is like beauty in the eye of the beholder

it´s dependent on the moral code

or to answer your question: you have to answer it for yourself

for me: yes some good people have won in this world, but sadly bad people have won more often
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Being honest, hardworking and knowing alot doesn't mean shit in this world.
    Spend ur time sucking up and networking instead of studying and trying hard. It's who you know, not what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    No. It's why I live a depraved life... Why I'm lazy and selfish, arrogant and aggresive... and the world seems to give me everything I want or desire.

If you're goodhearted or a hard worker the universe will take pleasure in seeing you tormented by the likes of me who will take decadent pleasure out of your suffering.
    Very nice text. And now go back to playing video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    LeBron James is a good person. He escaped his slave masters in Cleveland for the fruits of Miami and has succeeded beyond measure.