Thread: WoD = WoW2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Olrox View Post
    Except I know. Warcraft III was a sequel to Warcraft II and it certainly wasn't what you describe.

    Starcraft II is a sequel, Heart of the Swarm was an expansion.

    Diablo III is a sequel, Reaper of Souls is an expansion.

    You notice how those are all Blizzard games with sequel and expansion being clearly defined?

    They're not going to make a successor to WoW in the form of a new MMO until WoW is either not profitable enough or they feel like it's time to move on to a brand new engine and platform; that doesn't mean that Warlords of Draenor is their presentation as a sequel, it'd be a hell of a lot larger if it were.

    So I'm not certain where you're getting this whole notion that Blizzard is close-mouthed about what they see a sequel as. I can see it clear as day, seeing how they've made sequels to their games and expansions to those same games; they're not even CLOSE to the same - a hard reset is always part of a sequel because it's literally a new game; a WoW expansion is never going to be a brand new game.

    That said, your post isn't so bad aside from the dogged defense of your argument you keep making; it's ok for people to actually prove your main point wasn't 100% accurate; doesn't mean you didn't have a decent thought.
    Thank you for a thought-out response. It is a breath of fresh air.
    Reading comprehension for some is lacking so I try to clarify my point. Sorry if that comes off as "dogged".

    I should have worded my response better. I wonder what Blizzard defines as a WoW sequel? WoW is an anomaly. Never has an MMO had such huge success. As you say, "They're not going to make a successor to WoW in the form of a new MMO until WoW is either not profitable enough or they feel like it's time to move on to a brand new engine and platform".

    So what do they do? Just keep releasing xpacs until they bleed all subscribers? Each new xpac, since wotlk, is a net loss of players. They have to market this as a reset. The need new and returning customers. They need this xpac to be different. So we get a lot of features that we would get in a WoW2, and it explains why Blizzards is making the decisions they are making.

    We probably won't see a 5.5 and have SoO for 1+ year. They are putting all hope into 6.0 to pull back players.

    I'm not saying I like what we are getting as a WoW2. I'm just saying this is what a WoW2 looks like. If WoW stays popular, in 10 more years, we will have another reset like this. Everyone will get a free Level 150, and the xpac will be the price of a full game.

  2. #22
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    118
    Dude.. you're the only one thinking this is wow2. This isnt wow 2 at all. Its an xpac. why?
    Well its because even though you have a catch up feature and some other featured the story of the game continues to follow its path. If this was wow2 it would be stupid to just walk the same steps as wow1 would have done anyways.
    WindWalker Monk

  3. #23

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    Did you even read the thread?
    I did too - and I agree with him/her.

    WoW2 = whole new factions, game engine and Eastern Kingdoms/Kalimdoor.

    This is just a couple of islands on Draenor.

    I get what you're trying to say - but, as another poster said a long time ago: "Even Mr. Fantastic would've been impressed by that stretch" :P
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  5. #25
    Product Requirements

    Includes Level 90 Character Boost
    Pre-Purchase: Game is expected to release on or before 12/20/2014
    Includes levels 91–100
    Subscription required
    Internet connection required
    Battle.net registration required
    Requires World of Warcraft and Mists of Pandaria
    Sorry its an xpac. Not WoW 2. WoW 2 would be stand alone. But I do agree that the efforts going into this xpac give it a new fresh feel. Not bad for a 10 yr old game.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    Aren't sequels for videogames generally considered to be better?
    This is ridiculous and just an attempt to flame WoD, clearly.

    No, they're not.
    I'm not a native English speaker, and yet, I don't suck at English. The argument "English is not my mother tongue" doesn't actually give you an excuse to do so.

  7. #27
    Mechagnome Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    WoW 2 would have Me'dan to piss off alot of people. So, I don't think this is it.
    I think Blizzard would make a killing if they announced Me'dan as the final boss of WoD. Who cares if it does't fit with the storyline. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    wyrd bið ful aræd

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by profanity79 View Post
    Aren't sequels for videogames generally considered to be better?
    Nop, they are, in fact, usually considered worse than the original by the fanboys.

  9. #29
    Sigh. People seem to be struggling with the point here, so let's spell it out for everyone in nice simple words:

    "Warlords of Draenor is the closest thing you're going to get to World of Warcraft 2."

    That's the point. Not that it literally is a sequel. Its a graphical improvement with a lot of technical improvements and a general soft-reset of everyone's character power without impracting gameplay. How hard is that to understand? Very, apparently.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I think Blizzard would make a killing if they announced Me'dan as the final boss of WoD. Who cares if it does't fit with the storyline. MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    Most people don't know who Me'dan is.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    We won't get a "real" WoW2.
    What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course we will.

  11. #31
    Yep I think so too OP.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    People have often wondered what a WoW 2.0 would look like.
    I believe we have it. This is almost a complete reset, with existing players keeping their characters.
    This is WoW2, Blizzard style. We won't get a "real" WoW2.

    1. New Character Models
    2. Everyone starts with a Level 90
    3. People purchasing the xpac get previous xpacs for free - This is also the reason for the $50 price tag. Blizzard sees it as a full game, not just an xpac.
    4. I expect release date on WoW 10year anniversary, Nov 24 (debatable)
    5. Heavily marketed to new and returning players.

    I also suspect they will introduce scaling for old dungeons and raids to allow everyone to run them as "LFR style" content with similar rewards.
    The WoW Battlechest included all expansions up to Cataclysm (You still had to buy MoP) so number 3 isn't a new feature... it's already possible to do that.

    You actually missed a point off your list that I think justifies the tag more than the others... major gear changes. Ie.. all cloth classes being able to wear cloth gear that drops. That's a major change. Also gear that adjusts stats based on spec is also another big change.

  13. #33
    Previous expansions for free for additional 10 euros, yeah makes perfect sense.

  14. #34
    To me this xpac look more than a pile of recycling crap than a WoW2 new era. A big patch, not an expansion

    No new class or race.
    A original theme of taking the Dolorian into the past to find Garrosh, the most exciting vilain chracter ever made in WoW.

    The only thing I will remember from WoD, is Blizzard shitty marketing and incompetence, the free lvl 90 during the midle of MoP xpac because there's not enough content to last until december.

  15. #35
    Scarab Lord Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finlanders
    Posts
    4,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Previous expansions for free for additional 10 euros, yeah makes perfect sense.
    Atleast the previous expansions had new features.
    Heyoo!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    Did you even read the thread?
    Did you even think about what you wrote in said thread?

    If this were WoW2 they would call it WoW2 and not WOD. What you think it it may be is not relevant.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    TBC was WoW 2
    Wrath was WoW 3
    Cata was WoW 4
    MoP was WoW 5
    WoD will be WoW 6

  18. #38
    High Overlord Embodier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by drick7 View Post
    While I agree I would like these things, Blizzard will never do this with WoW. It is a cash cow. They won't risk killing it with a radically new MMO, even if it based on WoW.

    That is why this is WoW2, Blizzard Style. Not fan style. This is as close as we are going to get to a WoW2 from current Blizzard.
    You keep telling this yourself, but you are completely off here. WoD will offer the same all around setting, enginge and features which will not "break" from/with the WoW Theme, Art and Design/Gameplay.

  19. #39
    It is not WoW2 (yet).

    But I know what the OP tries to say.

    For the first time, Blizzard is regrouping all players at the start of a new continent to explore. No dividing of general player interest by offering a mere 1-10 limited new race content (after which you played the same 11- end game content). In fact THAT is reharshing game play, not what WoD is offering for everyone.

    ----

    Whatever you think: it IS a smart thing to do. Because WoD is sold as a fresh NEW start for everyone, whether new, old or returning player: no hastle.

    It is like selling a new boxed version with everything included and the latest WoW content accessible for EVERYONE.

    The KEY feature is the regrouping of all players set at ONE starting point. Most of the posts above don't understand it is of crucial importance to regroup your players in an MMORPG.

    It will be a massive success at launch. I hope Blizzard will not run into problems with connected realms at launch.

    As to the WoW2 argument: nope it is not, but at some point in the future Blizzard will use the expertise of WoD and its ONE fresh starting point for all players to do just that for a WoW2.

    Who knows, perhaps in 2016 already with lvl 100 being the "new" starting level at the time the movie will hit. And the old level 100 being replaced with a letter like "V" as in vintage.

    Like leveling V1 to V20. That would be very close to a real relaunch, and understandable with the movie hype.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-03-11 at 09:24 AM.

  20. #40
    Visually it's a big step forwards. If a WoW2 were made, I imagine the artsyle would be similar to what we're seeing from WoD.

    But an expansion pack is not a sequel - just ain't. Personally, I'd want WoW2 to be very different gameplay-wise from WoW. Not just in terms of abilities or changing stats as we've seen over the years from expansion to expansion, but a significant difference in mechanics. As well as major shake-ups storywise - setting it 800+ years in the future or so, for a start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •