What spec of lock to go for?

Hello!

I pre-ordered WoD and got myself a lvl 90 lock with it.
    I have never played lock that`s why i chose it.
    And it always looked like fun.

Question is what spec would be best to maybe solo old content and do an occasional LFD?
    I went for destruction at first, but it feels too much like a mage atm.
    Maybe affliction?

Deleted
    Destruction is the best for a new player. Affliction is much harder, and Demonology is currently bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    Destruction is the best for a new player. Affliction is much harder, and Demonology is currently bad.
    Demo isn't bad, it's just not overpowered like the other two specs. It's also arguably rather harder, certainly than Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Demo isn't bad, it's just not overpowered like the other two specs. It's also arguably rather harder, certainly than Destruction.
    Demo requires more gear than Affli. So on a fresh char I have a feeling it's just terrible.

If you're just playing dungeons though it doesn't really matter. Not until you plan on do normal/heroic raiding you should worry about playing the best spec. Just play the spec you enjoy the most.

For soloing stuff Affli is usually the best spec. You can heal your Voidlord with Healt Funnel (buffed with Soulburn) while still having dots up on the boss. Destro is also good for self-healing with Ember Tap and a faster stacking Soul Leech but will lose a lot of damage when you have to heal your pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The simplicity of Destruction makes it the best choice for a new warlock in my opinion, Affliction needs a lot more effort to be competitive than Destruction in my opinion -again-

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    The simplicity of Destruction makes it the best choice for a new warlock in my opinion, Affliction needs a lot more effort to be competitive than Destruction in my opinion -again-
    Affliction needs:
    2 SoO trinkets preferably
    Legendary Meta
    SoO Flex-normal gear mix

to be worth it, the spec relies heavily on snapshots to do good, if you just play like shit and don't snapshot, it will be considerably worse than Destro, which is very simple to play.

I went for destro and did one LFD where i truly sucked. Haha. But it was a learning experience and fun. (maybe not so fun for other 4 )
    Casters and ranged altogether havent been my thing, but i actually like the lock.
    I soloed some elites on Timeless Isle and after the first time i didnt die anymore.
    It helped when i got some Timeless Isle gear on, too.
    I think its just needs some practice and reading up a bit.
    Just thought that maybe affliction or demonology might feel more different from mage.
    But i really havent truly started sinking my teeth into lock gameplay yet.

Thank you for your replies.

destro. forget what people say, they're spec warriors, destro is easy and currently performing more than well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Demo requires more gear than Affli. So on a fresh char I have a feeling it's just terrible.
    Probably right in that situation, but in that situation it also doesn't matter, at all. New dinged player is going to suck anyway. Discovered last night on Sub Rogue how it's possible to do just 50k in Timeless Isle 496s

Quote Originally Posted by Zharradan View Post
    destro. forget what people say, they're spec warriors, destro is easy and currently performing more than well
    I dunno, it's more about ensuring there's an accurate portrayal; kinda getting sick of the 'Demo is terrible' and people just spreading that part, without the caveats that the likes of Bonkura add.

Deleted
    I opted for a safe bet with my 90 and went for a shadow priest. Same mechanics for the most part.

Slapping a 574 weapon on it and beating other shadows 30ilvl higher was the highlight of my evening.

On topic - stick with destro, and get some weak auras to track trinkets/cooldowns. Get used to using chaos bolt with procs up and you'll be pumping out big deeps in no time. Also keep immolate up!