The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I don't see why it matters, he's fantastic in the role.
    Except he's nothing like Wolverine in the comics, more of a caricature of what Wolverine is. Wolverine isn't walking around cocky like he's the hottest dude in the room. That's Jackman's acting style. Wolverine is confident and doesn't take crap. They just picked him b/c they thought...hey, buff guy with dark hair we can poof up. Mission accomplished.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Except he's nothing like Wolverine in the comics, more of a caricature of what Wolverine is. Wolverine isn't walking around cocky like he's the hottest dude in the room. That's Jackman's acting style. Wolverine is confident and doesn't take crap. They just picked him b/c they thought...hey, buff guy with dark hair we can poof up. Mission accomplished.
    Maybe it's because comics and movies JUST ARE two different mediums and don't have to be 100% the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    Maybe it's because comics and movies JUST ARE two different mediums and don't have to be 100% the same.
    Certainly not, but at the era that these movies started coming out they were trying pretty hard to do that. The MCU and this notion of an alternate movie universe didn't exist at the time. So if you want to be fair, you point really isn't valid. But taking your point head on, it makes for a decidedly worse character portrayal. It was essentially Hugh Jackman playing himself, but kinda angry sometimes. Not that compelling tbh.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Certainly not, but at the era that these movies started coming out they were trying pretty hard to do that. The MCU and this notion of an alternate movie universe didn't exist at the time. So if you want to be fair, you point really isn't valid. But taking your point head on, it makes for a decidedly worse character portrayal. It was essentially Hugh Jackman playing himself, but kinda angry sometimes. Not that compelling tbh.
    I think it's a perfectly valid point. Characters have to be rewritten to fit into two hours on the silver screen. In Wolverine's case, especially, he was rewritten as a protagonist, with all that that entails, rather than the grumpy well-established character he is in the comic book world. As such, I think they did a good job of making him a compelling main character with a growing-up arc, as well as a mysterious past. The only real problem I have is that the character lost its appeal after having around five movies dedicated to this shadowy history of his.

So what you're describing, I think, is not so much a problem with Hugh Jackman's acting. It's more to do with the character being adjusted to work in the story as it were, as well as to retain a mass market appeal. I think Jackman did a good job, and I really don't mind the changes, personally, because that's just how movie adaptations work.

That said, I'm pretty tired of the character at this point.

wolverine is one of marvels like top 3 most popular heroes, i dont think he needed to be changed to be in the movie. by the time the x-men movie had came out everyone knew wolverine from the 90s cartoon and loved him
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Playing himself? How do you know what Hugh Jackman is like? He was a nobody before he got the Wolverine role.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    wolverine is one of marvels like top 3 most popular heroes, i dont think he needed to be changed to be in the movie. by the time the x-men movie had came out everyone knew wolverine from the 90s cartoon and loved him
    Indeed. When even a 90s children's cartoon is more true to the comic spirit of a character than a hundred million dollar movie you know something is jack(man)ed up.
    Playing himself? How do you know what Hugh Jackman is like? He was a nobody before he got the Wolverine role.
    The same way I know Kristen Stewart plays herself in every movie she's ever been in.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    avengers 2 was only alright.
    Hi

Indeed. When even a 90s children's cartoon is more true to the comic spirit of a character than a hundred million dollar movie you know something is jack(man)ed up.
    It's way, way, WAY easier for a cartoon to be true to the spirit of a comic book. Also, screw the comic book accuracy. It has never been the cause of a comic book movie being good.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's way, way, WAY easier for a cartoon to be true to the spirit of a comic book. Also, screw the comic book accuracy. It has never been the cause of a comic book movie being good.
    Idk. The further they strayed from the comics in that era, the worse the movies got. Spider Man 3 or X-Men 3 anyone? It's only now that people are figuring out how to take a similar approach while adding a measure of reality to bring it down to Earth.

We clearly have wildly different tastes and that's ok, but we're not really going to have much in the way of productive conversation about these subjects.
    BAD WOLF

Huh. I always thought Jackman was great as Wolverine.

I personally like Fassbender more as Young Magneto than I like Ian's senior one ( and this comes from someone that sees the LOTR trilogy as Christ's second coming ).

IMO James and Fassbender were amazing casts for young Xavier/Magneto

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    IMO James and Fassbender were amazing casts for young Xavier/Magneto
    Yeah, they were great. Both have good chemistry too, so it helps. I still think Fassbender's best role was in the movie Frank. Such a crazy movie.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Magicalcrab View Post
    As such, I think they did a good job of making him a compelling main character with a growing-up arc, as well as a mysterious past. The only real problem I have is that the character lost its appeal after having around five movies dedicated to this shadowy history of his.
    To be fair, Wolverines super-mysterious-past was a constant presence in the comics for decades too. Granted I stopped in the uh, 80's I think, but by that point it had been going on forever.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

"! BREAKING #HEROIC NEWS! ASA BUTTERFIELD IS THE TOP CONTENDER TO PLAY THE NEW PETER PARKER/SPIDER-MAN (Per @kchavez007 at Latino-Review.com) Reportedly, Butterfield has been Marvel's top choice since the beginning & his agency offered "no comment" when reached by Chavez. "

https://instagram.com/p/2CZ9d-DpgO/?...mbertogonzalez

say hello to who is most likely your new peter parker

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Oh god, isn't that the kid who played the lead in Ender's Game?

Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Oh god, isn't that the kid who played the lead in Ender's Game?
    Yes it is, he's 18 but he looks 15.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Yes it is, he's 18 but he looks 15.
    I was going to say 13....But if they are going in the direction of a very young Peter Parker/Spiderman then it could work out well.

Someone was mentioning it in this thread or the DD one, can't remember.

Apparently this is who is playing Luke Cage and what he'll look like (no afro) along with Jessica Jones.

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders_TV/...314240/photo/1

Asa Butterfield is/was a pretty good kid-actor. Didn't really see him as a Peter Parker, but whatever.

Deleted
    Ryan Potter was my top pick, but I can see Asa as Peter - physically at least, if they're going for a younger Peter. But to be honest I haven't seen him in anything since The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas so I have no idea how he's grown as an actor.