Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredi View Post
    Garrisons may not be worth $50, but it may be worth $10, Which is what the xpac costs over the previous wow xpacs. Face it, The cost of the xpac would have been $40 by typical format for the typical increased level cap, new quests, new raids, new zones xpac bread and butter. You're seriously crying over $10. Also bundle into the additional $10 the free 90 that blizz has billed at $60 value, it makes sense.

People just love to complain. And people complaining about the cost AND the date should just realize if $10 is gonna break them that they should maybe consider unsubbing for 1 month to get an extra $16.
    PRINCIPLES oh my god, it isn't about the 10 dollars. christ's sake.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Deleted
    Saying everyone loves to hate on everything undermines what people's concerns are over this price rise.

It's just odd that after we were told the free 90 boost would be exactly that, free, the price has mysteriously gone up. Plus, we're looking at 10 months plus of SOO, which is exactly what they said would not be happening. So we're paying for finished content, stuff which isn't being added to until the expansion, which we then have to pay this inflated price for, which has risen way above the inflation curve.

Quote Originally Posted by THoyt View Post
    but look at what Blizzard gives us.
    10-15 dollar mounts on cash shop and soon turning into 3-6 months...

Wow's fine for raids, but really anything else in the game is turning out to be less and less worth it... gotta find something else to do till september.

I can't help but laugh at the "Obviously they raised the box cost to cover inflated market costs."

How many revenue streams does WoW have now? What were the figures out that Cinder Kitten promotion again?

I'm willing to bet a chunk of the people citing inflated market costs would flip their shit if the monthly fee cost went up even though the same principal applies.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    This is why two hashbrowns for a dollar became one hashbrown for a dollar at McDonalds. People just roll over and accept spending more money for less. At what point do you decide that hey; price jacking isn't cool? 70 bucks for an expansion? 80? 150 for the collector's edition? I mean, why not, right?

But the point is you're not spending more money for less. The dollar amount was pretty much arbitrary before at 40$, but people didn't seem to complain about that. You'll spend 40$ despite not knowing what you're actually paying for, but 50$ and suddenly you seem to know that's too much for this product.

They could set the price at 20$ and probably still make a profit, but I don't see you making a case for spending double the amount for any of the previous expansions. The price has virtually nothing to do with what it's actually worth.

If you decided not to buy the game because you don't think you'll get 50$ worth of entertainment, then that's fine, but simply not buying it just because of a price increase is illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Geckoo View Post
    And that's why we pay each month.

Blizzard is really lucky as a business... they sell a expansion pack that is more expensive than the original game (if both were released at the same time in the same market, the expansion would still be more expensive), has a very expensive cash shop and paid services and also a monthly fee... and people not only pay them with a big smile in their face, they even defend them!
    There's really no luck to it. Blizzard is VERY good at conditioning their low self-esteemed players into obedient pets. They come to see Blizzard as a close relative or extension of themselves, which is why any criticism is registered as judgement on their personal taste and MUST be defended against at all costs.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Kay so. These are some hypothetical numbers for you.

Blizzards expenses in cata: 200
    Blizzards income in cata: 50000

Blizzards expenses in WoD: 500
    Blizzards income in WoD: 40000

WE HAS TO INCREASE PRIZE TO KEEP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These are pretty silly numbers. Hypothetical doesn't have to mean unrealistic, especially when Activision Blizzard actually publishes earnings.

seriously, all xpacs bring new zones. updated 10 year old models should be done; garrisons are updated farms, bigger bags every xpac, new quests, dungeons, raids every xpac; the new talents were easier than the last 2 xpac talent revamps, they've told us scenarios are quick and easy to make, levels are arbitrary - a gating mechanism only, character boost is to make money, not that many new features.

If you pay monthly, you already give them $180/yr. Does that money not mean anything to Blizzard?

Do you think each player should pay the development cost of a game to access it?

Do you not realize the real cash cow of a sub game/xpac is getting people to commit to monthly fees (hence discounts to 3/6/12 month subs)?

You are right about one thing, some people only write bullshit based on nothing to do with reality.

WoW xpacs to me, worth about 20-30 at most. I feel that it should be free if you are subbed, or maybe free with getting a 6 month sub. That seems fair and reasonable; and then say $20 for those with an active month to month sub, and $40 for those without a current sub, but comes with a free month.

Money is made by getting and keeping subs, which is done by quality content released at a pace that keeps the 90 percentile subbed the longest overall.

The value of the content is decided by the market, not the company ... and more appropriately, it is decided by each individual customer for one's self. The cost of production doesn't dictate the value of the product. If it cost 100k to make a hyundai accent, it doesn't mean it would be a value to buy it for 120k ... it'd still be a car (assuming it was the same vehicle you can get today) worth about $10k new. Just like a Babe Ruth rookie card is not important to me, I'd give someone $5 for it; but it might be worth $5 million to a collector because of its rarity and the person on it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Before the expansion I wasn't even sure about buying WOD.

Seeing the prices of WOD and D3 EXP and actually understanding how little content I'm being awarded for the games I've considered to not buy the expansion. Only time will show, as paying 50 euros for a 2-3 hour long journey in D3 and same for WoW for raiding which I don't do, or guild houses, or pve content.. I don't see a huge thing with the expansion, 10 levels and new arena gear.

Tbh, not worth my cash.

Expansion shouldn't cost moe than 15-20 euros. AT MOST. It's just a expansion that has been put on the time of 1/5th of the orginal game.
    The original game sold for what? 40-50 Eurosand if they give us 1/5th of the content for the same price I feel that's a scam. That's why I'm not buying the expansion.
    Last edited by Kezotar; 2014-03-11 at 03:30 PM.

But the point is you're not spending more money for less. The dollar amount was pretty much arbitrary before at 40$, but people didn't seem to complain about that. You'll spend 40$ despite not knowing what you're actually paying for, but 50$ and suddenly you seem to know that's too much for this product.
    My concern is less about the individual dollar amount and more about the worrisome tone set by "We decide to charge more for the box now because reasons."

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Quote Originally Posted by Allarius View Post

They could set the price at 20$ and probably still make a profit, but I don't see you making a case for spending double the amount for any of the previous expansions. The price has virtually nothing to do with what it's actually worth.

If you decided not to buy the game because you don't think you'll get 50$ worth of entertainment, then that's fine, but simply not buying it just because of a price increase is illogical.
    A few hundred people not buying it because of the 10$ increase may be "illogical". However, a million + subscribers finally for fucking once banding together and cancelling their accounts within a 24 hour time window because of Blizzards increased greed would send a message to those fucks. Unfortunately I doubt anything like this will ever been done.

If they're going to charge so much for WoD they should make MOP standard with the game the day that WoD drops. Expecting people to fork out $20+$40+$50 for a month of WoW as a new player, then $15/mo is stupid.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    My concern is less about the individual dollar amount and more about the worrisome tone set by "We decide to charge more for the box now because reasons."
    We begin to charge more now because we can't be arsed to make more content and have seen a HUGE loss in subscription due to that. So we're making up for that with the increase of expansion price. Beat that. Only logical reason I can see..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei View Post
    These are pretty silly numbers. Hypothetical doesn't have to mean unrealistic, especially when Activision Blizzard actually publishes earnings.
    You do realise i wasnt actually trying to hit their specific earnings right?

Fact is they make a LOT MORE money then they spendt. A little growth in their spending is not goign to suddenly mean that they have to up prizes to earn money. Not even close.

That wwas the point of my previous post.

I think it really has just gotten to the point where they are in their meetings and someone suggests a ridiculous price and the justification for it is simply a "because we can".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephinism View Post
    If they're going to charge so much for WoD they should make MOP standard with the game the day that WoD drops. Expecting people to fork out $20+$40+$50 for a month of WoW as a new player, then $15/mo is stupid.
    Then we add a PC (1000USD) / 36months. - 28 USD. Yepp. It's costy being a computer gamer with a subscription or at least two... And people complain about increased prices on food and that MC donalds is the cheaper way... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    A few hundred people not buying it because of the 10$ increase may be "illogical". However, a million + subscribers finally for fucking once banding together and cancelling their accounts within a 24 hour time window because of Blizzards increased greed would send a message to those fucks. Unfortunately I doubt anything like this will ever been done.
    I have no doubt that it could make an impression(and I'm not saying people shouldn't do this); I was just pointing out the price of the product really has no bearing on the value of the product. I personally think both prices are arbitrary and if you're going to complain about the price than complain until it's at an appropriate price and just back to our original arbitrary number.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabusasan View Post
    Could it be because there is no point in increasing the prize of the WoD box other then blizzard being greedy? Its not like they are lacking money, its not like WoD is a whole new game. It has a few new features ,yes. Nothing really mindnumbingly insane. There is nothing to warrant a raise in prize other then greed. Nothing.

People in general dont like greed. So they complain.

Its odd hwo you have to explain simple things.
    the cost of a 2014 Camry is more than a 2011 Camry and there no point for it. Toyota is just being greedy.

The cost of a 2014 Wendy's dbl w/ cheese is more than the cost of a 2011 Wendy's dbl w/ cheese and I can't see any point for it. Wendy's is just being greedy.

The cost of a 2014 Maytag dryer is more than the cost of a 2011 Maytag dryer and there's just no point in it! Maytag is just being greedy.

Should I continue to demonstrate how stupid and childish you sound?

15+ Year Old Account
    50% complain, just cause they can, other 50% does it as they feel they are entitled to what ever they feel they are entitled too
    Been like this for...forever, will be like this till the end of time.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I can't help but laugh at the "Obviously they raised the box cost to cover inflated market costs."

How many revenue streams does WoW have now? What were the figures out that Cinder Kitten promotion again?

I'm willing to bet a chunk of the people citing inflated market costs would flip their shit if the monthly fee cost went up even though the same principal applies.
    Activision Blizzard is a publicly traded company, and as such they have to release information that investors would find material in making investment decisions. That includes earnings. You can look at various reports to confirm whether costs have risen over the past 10 years. You can also get a sense of whether investors are happy that a company made money once (e.g., cinder kittens) or if they expect to company to keep making money.

Beyond that, it shouldn't be hard to understand why people might not object to a $10 one time cost outlay but would have issues with an increase in what they pay every month. The principle behind the cost increases might be the same, but the amount is different.

"If you don't have issues with a $10 price hike, then you shouldn't have issues with a $100 price hike, because the principle is the same, right?"