Thread: Holy in 10 man

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy in 10 man

What's the best strat? Haste for extra renew? Crit/Mastery for bigger echo of light? And what glyphs? I assume I will be almost exclusively in Chakra: Serenity?

And please don't tell me to go disc, I have been disc and I'm trying to make holy work. I am aware that it won't compare to disc.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you could post your iLevel, and general healer raid comp, it also has a bit of an impact on what you should be doing/focusing on.

Trinket info would also be welcome. Generally, as a rule of thumb, AVOID CRIT. You will want to reach the renew haste breakpoints, and try to go for the rolling renew strategy of healing. I haven't played holy in a while, so I can't say what levels of spirit you'll need, but it should generally be on par with your haste (in other words, the more haste you have, generally, the more spirit you should have, until a certain spot of course).

I leave the rest in more capable hands which should answer your qualms Soon TM
    "Shit Happens" - Well, imagine if a pegasus had the bowel-control ability of a pigeon, there'd be a lot of cases saying the following: "Cause of Death: Killed by a giant flying piece of shit...."

Here is my armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...efina/advanced

I've heard that crit is good for 25s, but I'm not getting much info for 10s. Crit is awful for 10s? The issue is that I'm the only priest so there are some fights that I need to be disc for, which is pure crit. Haste makes sense too however, again, as disc I run with very little. I guess I'll be gathering a whole holy set!

I played in 10m briefly and asked similar questions on the forum. From what i remember,
    - haste needs to reach the renew break point (16.66% soft haste cap)
    - spirit high enough to sustain typical boss fight (i was at 14000-15000 spirit and didn't have problem)
    - glyph of renew is needed (the other ones you can choose)

Supposedly you should stay in serenity always. My personal experience (very brief period in 10m) for spell choice
    - renew for random moderate damage, PoM and some circle of healing
    - holy word for spike on tank or random person, or to refresh renew when nothing to heal
    - when heavy damage is expected to come, start putting renew on a lot of ppl and cast cascade to keep then refreshed (i.e. save cascade for inc heavy dmg)

Normals are easy to heal, but i haven't had much 10m heroic experience. Only fight i remember having problem is 10HM first boss, i was told the above strategy should work but i tried and couldn't heal effeciently, so i ended up healing 10m in sancturay state and using spells like i did in 25m (>_<)

Deleted
    There are some great guides here in MMO-C, H2P and icy veins. I advise you to read them.

But basically, for 10 man and if you want to play in yellow chakra (which is really potent in almost every 10 man fights except maybe malk, thok and garrosh) :

Stats :

- Haste to 4780 for renew breakpoint (I'm not sure about 4780, you'll have to check) ;
    - Spirit until you're comfortable ;
    - CRIT : you'll almost only use renew which doesn't benefit from mastery so its better to go crit. At least, gem crit.

Talents :

Obviously, depends on encounters but FDLC (instant flash to refresh renew), DI (or ToF) and cascade (when not packed) are cookie cutter.

Glyphs :

- mandatory : binding heal (can now refresh up to 3 renewed targets)
    - mandatory : renew : this glyph is the most important for that type of gameplay. What you have to know is that when refreshed, glyphed renew lasts 12 secs and not 9. Taht's one of the reasons why this glyph is useful
    - your choice, generally deep wells or POM.

For the basic healing rotation and priorities, go to icy veins and read the guide for 10 man. It's very clear IMO.

Good luck !

Edit : a few tips from my personnal exp :
    - use binding heal or flash heal (not instant) during LMG procs ;
    - don't forget to take advantage of serendipity and bonus T2 (you can still use serendipity PoH and CoH in yellow chakra when the situation calls for it, don't forget it triggers DI when you spec for it).
    Last edited by mmocf4af30eb25; 2014-03-12 at 08:44 AM.

Thanks! I have read some guides but they all say to gem/reforge for mastery, not crit and I have seen some debate on that so I wanted a 10 man holy priest's perspective. That was very useful!

I'm happy to know that I need only to swap some pieces for added haste and spirit, and that I won't have to gear for stats that are completely opposite of what I run with as disc.

I also did not know that about the renew glyph! I usually use that, binding heal and deep wells, and on 25 mans I switch out renew for circle.

I've been making good use of serendipity stacks since I have a weakauras for that so that's good to know. Thanks for all the tips!

10+ Year Old Account
    Stat wise, I'd go with Haste (Renew +2 breakpoint) > spirit (16-20k) > Crit=mastery. Yellow chakra only, glyphed renew + binding heal, cascade only (refresh renews). Avoid CoH, use PoM when you're sure it will jump to everyone. PoH when needed (3+++ targets). Meta Gem procs: 2 binding + 1 renew.

FDCL is insane and ToF is king on almost every fight

Tips would be: Cast glyphed renew and refresh it as fast as you can to extend the duration. Try to keep 2-5 renews rolling. When u cast Cascade, try to renew another 2-3 players before it bounces on those players.
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatebox View Post
    Avoid CoH
    Really? There are situations where you would want to use this along with other aoe spells though, right? (Garrosh comes to mind.)

Meta Gem procs: 2 binding + 1 renew.
    This is very helpful - I usually end up using something stupid here.

Cast glyphed renew and refresh it as fast as you can to extend the duration. Try to keep 2-5 renews rolling. When u cast Cascade, try to renew another 2-3 players before it bounces on those players.
    By this do you mean, cast it and then recast it immediately? And with 2-5 renews rolling I really get why I need more spirit!

10+ Year Old Account
    CoH has too low sinergy with Yellow Chakra so I'd use that GCD on another strong AoE Heal, like BH or even a good targeted PoH (Low sinergy too, sadly). You can find some logs from high-end holy priests on 10m without a SINGLE CoH (on every encounter).

About refreshing Renew, you cast it on your buddy (low duration, glyphed) then you just single heal him to refresh that Renew and extend it to max duration (like without glyph). Faster you do it, easier will be to keep 2-5 rolling. Quality of Life tip
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

CoH has too low sinergy with Yellow Chakra so I'd use that GCD on another strong AoE Heal, like BH or even a good targeted PoH (Low sinergy too, sadly). You can find some logs from high-end holy priests on 10m without a SINGLE CoH (on every encounter).

About refreshing Renew, you cast it on your buddy (low duration, glyphed) then you just single heal him to refresh that Renew and extend it to max duration (like without glyph). Faster you do it, easier will be to keep 2-5 rolling. Quality of Life tip
    Oh I see! Thank you

I used to love CoH back in the day when it was spammable but obviously that was a little unfair :P I think that I still like the spell a lot so it feels weird not to use it.

Deleted
    You can still use it on some fights. For example, Galakras. The entire fight is a joke until P2 and that's where your healing is going to matter. Since everyone is packed during P2, its obviously more useful to spec divine star and DI and spam divine star, PoH and CoH and PoM to game DI proccs in blue chakra during that time. Even more so if you have 4Pc bonus to boost your Holy word : sanctuary.

I tried all this advice out last night and significantly increased my healing. Thanks everyone! I think with some practice I'll feel less lame

I suggest practicing in pvp if you don't mind! Because you are supposed to use the exact same strat

Can anyone provide me with the name of a good holy priest who is currently raiding 10 man heroics? I would like to find someone to compare my stats/spell usage with. Most of the priests that have ranked have switched to disc.

Yea I've checked the logs, which are helpful, but again I'm looking for a current holy priest (there has GOT to be a die hard 10man holy priest out there somewhere!)

Deleted
    He played most T16 10hc encounters as holy. Doesn't get much better then this tbh.
    Afaik with decent gear its good to take the 6th renew tick, which is at 13.xxk (not sure exactly).
    But I am not sure whether crit or mastery afterwards is best. As mentioned before, renew doesn't scale well with mastery (only the initial tick) so I would suspect crit might be an option.

Meta Gem procs: 2 binding + 1 renew.
    Or Cascade & as many Renews as you can... Depends on what you want/when you want Cascade .

Quote Originally Posted by Fefina View Post
    Yea I've checked the logs, which are helpful, but again I'm looking for a current holy priest (there has GOT to be a die hard 10man holy priest out there somewhere!)
    If you're looking for a holy priest who is using 13/18k haste, you won't find better logs than Jhazrun's... They might be "old", but they aren't old for your needs; they're done on heroics with better gear so they're still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tungzten View Post
    But I am not sure whether crit or mastery afterwards is best. As mentioned before, renew doesn't scale well with mastery (only the initial tick) so I would suspect crit might be an option.
    IMHO, it's quite irrelevant. Crit might be technically better because ~50% of your healing can come from Renews and all that, but since you shoot for high haste and spirit, you end up not having much say over what's left in the mastery and crit department. I have around 5.5k in mastery & crit together compared to 18k haste and 17k spirit... And since there's more mastery gear on this tier, you're more likely to end up with more mastery than crit even if you don't want to, but I don't think it matters at all.

Yea I've been switching out a bit of mastery for haste and trying to get a bit more spirit, and so far I'm seeing a major improvement. I have been enjoying holy too!

You should read a few guides and experiment. If you are in chakra serenity most of the time passing the next haste breakpoint will probably help.