Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Trion Worlds Announces Glyph Digital Games Platform

An interesting press release was issued by Trion today, kudos to player Intim for spotting this.

Not sure what this part quite means, Trion has had 10 million players playing Rift and Defiance over the past three years?

“In the past three years, we’ve reached more than 10 million gamers, supported 25 million transactions, and more than 50 million downloads have happened across our network,” said Scott Hartsman, CEO of Trion Worlds.
    Anyhow, full press release at source:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tri...k=MW_news_stmp

well anyone trying any of those games would be part of that number. Now I'm not sure if that means different players as I have played both Rift and Defiance (so would I count for 1 or 2 of that number).

Anyway, the platform looks like what most multi game companies have (like battlenet for Blizzard, origin for EA games, etcetera)

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems that way, the Trion Account Management page has changed slightly and now shows the Glyph Logo and login screen

I wonder will ArcheAge fall under this as well

I heard you like launchers, so we're building a launcher for your launchers so you can launch launchers while your launchers launch.

Also, so this is apparently what the new defunct Red Door publishing platform has turned into. Hopefully they're not being overambitious again, because it bit them in the ass pretty bad last time.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2014-03-11 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I heard you like launchers, so we're building a launcher for your launchers so you can launch launchers while your launchers launch.

Also, so this is apparently what the new defunct Red Door publishing platform has turned into. Hopefully they're not being overambitious again, because it bit them in the ass pretty bad last time.
    All indications are that they are still moving forward with wanting to be a big boy britches publisher. The article on massively stated one of the main intents of this was to attract game developers and have stated that supposedly they've already developers "signed on".

Course Trion is also claiming 10 million folks too, so we know how they like to spin the PR wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinesun View Post
    All indications are that they are still moving forward with wanting to be a big boy britches publisher. The article on massively stated one of the main intents of this was to attract game developers and have stated that supposedly they've already developers "signed on".

Course Trion is also claiming 10 million folks too, so we know how they like to spin the PR wheel.
    Well, it's different from their Red Door publishing platform. With Glyph, they don't really need to do much more than get a finalized client and slap it on the launcher, the same as the Aeria Ignite launcher and about a dozen or so other launchers for MMO's. That's not even counting the digital storefront launchers like Steam, Uplay, Origin, Gamefly, Desura etc. etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Beta of the Glyph Launcher is out for download, threw it on, looks nice and clean so far

Now I just wonder if they'll migrate the Steam versions of their games over to the Glyph launcher as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't Rift and Defiance already on Steam? Whats the point of another launcher?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Centralized launcher for everyone who doesn't use Steam, and likely for Steam as well. Similar to how Aeria Games has their own launcher (Aeria Ignite), Perfect World Entertainment is finishing theirs (Arc), Blizzard has theirs (Battle.net client) etc. etc.

Especially with Trion apparently wanting to include non-Trion games on their launcher, it provides some decent benefits for both Trion as well as the folks getting their games on the launcher.

2014 : everyone want a launcher edition :P

not that i complain, steam and battle net client is more the welcome.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Now I just wonder if they'll migrate the Steam versions of their games over to the Glyph launcher as well.
    steam rift is just same rift, you can start it by starting launcher without ever starting steam, by doing that you avoid such things like steam not allowing multiple copies of a game,when Trion said they are allowing multiple copies of a game.And need to constantly sign into steam

Quote Originally Posted by Smikis View Post
    steam rift is just same rift, you can start it by starting launcher without ever starting steam, by doing that you avoid such things like steam not allowing multiple copies of a game,when Trion said they are allowing multiple copies of a game.And need to constantly sign into steam
    Oh, I know. But IIRC there are more than a few MMO's that would usually launch through a publisher based launcher normally, that when launched through Steam bypass said launcher. So it's possible.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's the new trendy thing to do when you start to acquire a larger portfolio of games under your wing. That being said, the reason people keep using it is because it helps them run and maintain their software and generally is a benefit to all parties. We might look at it as superfluous if you only play one game, but it makes file management/patching and many other features so much easier on everyone. Kudos to them for putting some more big boy britches on.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Rift & Defiance have separate launchers, so the correct question is "What's the point of one less launcher?"

Less programs to maintain is less work. Same as Blizzard, and same as every other studio that does this. Its fine to develop separate launchers for 1 or 2 games, but once you have several games, it only makes sense to multipurpose the existing software.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Rift & Defiance have separate launchers, so the correct question is "What's the point of one less launcher?"

Less programs to maintain is less work. Same as Blizzard, and same as every other studio that does this. Its fine to develop separate launchers for 1 or 2 games, but once you have several games, it only makes sense to multipurpose the existing software.
    This. Also, considering Archeage just entered Alpha and some of us *coughcough* have keys already, yeah, bringing them into the same launcher makes sense.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

As an update, Glyph is fucking terrible thus far.

A launcher that keeps you locked to the game it's installing or updating, and even looking at another game in your list (let alone launching) will pause/cancel what it was doing before.

Sure, you can go around it and find Rift's icon to click launch, like you could before, but if you're doing that, wtf is the point of the launcher in the first place?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Glyph is awful.

Why is this being forced on me?

I haven't been able to start up Rift or Rift PTS without the Glyph installer forcing a full game download. I finally gave in and it erased both of my Rift directories- along with everything in those folders.

Are you fucking kidding me. Now I got to download both clients again... from scratch. What in the fucking fuck.

Argh.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If people are only playing Rift, I'd suggest using Steam as the platform to run it. It helps you avoid glyph as well as not requiring Steam running to play it.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    If people are only playing Rift, I'd suggest using Steam as the platform to run it. It helps you avoid glyph as well as not requiring Steam running to play it.
    Not for me. Launched it yesterday and it prompted me to download Glyph. Defiance doesn't, but Rift did. And now it's prompting me to download Glyph again...ugh, at least I don't have to reinstall Rift. And another installation when launching it again. So it took three launch installations to finally get it working. Huzzah for "progress"?