Advice on Guild Recruiting

Hello all,

A few of my family and friends decided to finally unify on one server and start fresh. Together, we created a brand new guild and with this new vessel of opportunity, we'd like to explore all facets that World of Warcraft has to offer. Questing, Raiding, PvP, etc. We're basically looking to make a new home, not only for ourselves, but for others. Perhaps it is simply a case of nostalgia but I remember when I first started playing on the lowly server of Dunemaul so many years ago, the guild I was apart of was more like a close knit group of 40-50 friends rather than the 200+ members juggernaut guilds I see these days. I'm looking to recreate that on our new server, Mal'Ganis.

However, we're finding it increasingly difficult to recruit new members to fill our ranks. We don't exactly have much in the way to offer people considering we're only level 4, so our guild incentives are pretty much nil. In a day where level 25 guilds are instantly spamming anyone without a guild with an invite through bots and what not, how would you recommend a new, still leveling guild entice people into joining?

Thanks,

Ramuza

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnogodzilla View Post
    Hello all,

A few of my family and friends decided to finally unify on one server and start fresh. Together, we created a brand new guild and with this new vessel of opportunity, we'd like to explore all facets that World of Warcraft has to offer. Questing, Raiding, PvP, etc. We're basically looking to make a new home, not only for ourselves, but for others. Perhaps it is simply a case of nostalgia but I remember when I first started playing on the lowly server of Dunemaul so many years ago, the guild I was apart of was more like a close knit group of 40-50 friends rather than the 200+ members juggernaut guilds I see these days. I'm looking to recreate that on our new server, Mal'Ganis.

However, we're finding it increasingly difficult to recruit new members to fill our ranks. We don't exactly have much in the way to offer people considering we're only level 4, so our guild incentives are pretty much nil. In a day where level 25 guilds are instantly spamming anyone without a guild with an invite through bots and what not, how would you recommend a new, still leveling guild entice people into joining?

Thanks,

Ramuza
    There is an addon - Super Guild Invite on Curse. You give everyone the power to invite, and have everyone run the addon. It scans your entire realm looking for unguilded players and instantly sends them a whisper and pops an invite window. I went from 22 players to 400 members in a course of 3 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    There is an addon - Super Guild Invite on Curse. You give everyone the power to invite, and have everyone run the addon. It scans your entire realm looking for unguilded players and instantly sends them a whisper and pops an invite window. I went from 22 players to 400 members in a course of 3 days.
    that is the worst possible way to invite people. being in a guild with a bunch of randoms is no better than being in no guild at all.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ohnogodzilla View Post
    the guild I was apart of was more like a close knit group of 40-50 friends rather than the 200+ members juggernaut guilds I see these days.
    we have well over 200 characters in the guild, but there's only maybe 10-20 actual players/members.

while i *love* 25man raiding, I'm the first to admit that they aren't as closeknit. so i can only imagine what 50 people would be like. thats two full 25man groups. i wonder how many people "know" everyone in their 25man raid, let alone in the other team's raid... and as far as character count... I guess that would go well over 200-300+, depending on your policy for recruits and socials.

But yeah, as far as enticing new recruits, it doesnt matter whether your guild is new or old. What matters is WHAT DOES YOUR GUILD DO?

"We want to get into raiding" means nothing to a recruit that wants to raid.

"We are raiding, and need a more permanent dps & healer" means all the more.

Even if you're just casually leveling, questing, and doing dungeons... it helps if that is communicated to *everyone* in the guild, and that they actively want to take part in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    that is the worst possible way to invite people. being in a guild with a bunch of randoms is no better than being in no guild at all.
    Most guilds these days ARE random. They are not formed by RL friends and no one else is ever invited. Those guilds are few and far between. The goal is to stockpile players, find out who is serious and who is not. After awhile, those who are not serious will drop out and move on. Those who are will stay and help grow your raiding community.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Most guilds these days ARE random. They are not formed by RL friends and no one else is ever invited. Those guilds are few and far between. The goal is to stockpile players, find out who is serious and who is not. After awhile, those who are not serious will drop out and move on. Those who are will stay and help grow your raiding community.
    I think it would be more correct to say: ... who will stay and grow your income through the ten percent gold generated into the bank from the peons, which helps fund the actual raiders and active members, who are the small proportion of players that you care about. Having 25 and perks unlocked, of course, is necessary to build that funding base from the peons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    I think it would be more correct to say: ... who will stay and grow your income through the ten percent gold generated into the bank from the peons, which helps fund the actual raiders and active members, who are the small proportion of players that you care about. Having 25 and perks unlocked, of course, is necessary to build that funding base from the peons.
    That's the nice part about my guild. Everyone plays and contributes, and regardless of your level, class, or rank, everyone has the same daily repair allotment. I was surprised to see players willing to help one another. The benefits of an RP realm I guess.

If you want to keep it a levelling guild, being only level 4 offers nothing to players. And then when you are level 25, it will be the same as every other guild out there. It seems like you wan't a more social guild. I don't know what guilds are like now, but in Wrath there used to be a recruitment form on the guilds website to fill out if you wanted a social spot, and then extra questions for raid spots. Times have changed though, this doesnt seem to be the case but most 10man raid guilds have a great atmosphere

Small friendly group: go out in game (or in real life) be social, meet people levelling / dailies / flex. If you get on with each other, invite.

10 man raiding: advertise on trade. Make sure they're at the same level as you (or just below).

20/25 man raiding: Start by getting 2 10 man guilds involved (it helps if you're part of one of the 10 mans), then setup website with application process to keep fresh members coming in.

During my time in WoW I pretty much progressed through these 3 guild stages. Frankly, I don't hold much sway with the guild perks, its the people in the guild that matter most.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source