Thread: easiest spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Destroyed View Post
    Destro is the easiest spec out of the 3. Aff is, imo, the most fun. The "decisions" you talk about making destro "hardest" are whether or not to use an ember on low procs or wait til more come up. Outside of incin spamming, it's exactly like aff by watching your procs and not capping on resources (embers, soul shards)
    There's many other decisions to make such as:
    * If I spend these embers will I have enough to get my AoE started on this pack spawning in a bit?
    * When do I conflag? Now when I'm on only 1 charge but may cap soon? Do I save Conflag for later when I need to move in conjunction with RoF, even if it's sub-optimal w/ no movement?
    * Should I consume 3xBackdraft w/ Chaos Bolt?
    * Do I Havoc a Chaos Bolt now or wait to try and get Shadowburns off adds a bit later?
    * Do I reapply Immolate early or late to get crit buffs?
    * How many targets do I hard-cast Immolate?
    * If I RoF now will I get full benefit or will adds move?
    * Should I RoF on one target?
    * Should I be using Havoc glyph?
    * etc

There's a ton of decisions that have no clear cut answer and can't really be effectively planned for. Obviously one could play without considering any of these things and only care about "whether or not to use an ember on low procs or wait ...", but that will only get you so far, and the hidden complexity shows itself in actual fights.

With brusalk here, destro is easy enough to play at a basic level but has a lot of finesse to min-max. There's a lot more thought involved with min-maxing destruction Edps instead of just cheesing it up at every opportunity than there is for affliction where its literally;

~snapshot powerful procs
    ~soulswap where it's effective dps
    ~put haunt up
    ~spam MG

Really the biggest thing with aff is snapshotting procs and a small amount of shard management. The difference is you don't have to actively game shard generation so really you just get what you get where destruction / demonology has decisions to be made in order to build up their secondary resources and then proceed to spend them in the most efficient way.

It seems like people took the communities knee jerk reaction at the start of the xpac where people went AFF HARDEST DESTRO EASIEST HURR and then never thought about it again. Personally I find demo the hardest, but then I have a lock in my guild who played mostly demo who thinks destruction the hardest, so I guess that bits subjective. We all agree aff definitely isn't difficult though.

Affliction it's by far the easiest spec thanks to Affdots.

Don't understand why people think affdots matters there. Weak auras has existed for quite a while and has been used to track procs well before affdots...

Do you really need an addon with pretty colors to tell you that you should probably snapshot that 30k int proc? Or to tell you that those 2-3 1650-2000ish int procs aren't going to beat out that other 15k int proc?

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    Don't understand why people think affdots matters there. Weak auras has existed for quite a while and has been used to track procs well before affdots...

Do you really need an addon with pretty colors to tell you that you should probably snapshot that 30k int proc? Or to tell you that those 2-3 1650-2000ish int procs aren't going to beat out that other 15k int proc?
    Easier install an addon that make micro-management of dots than do it on WA, and most time ppl do in Wa in a poorly way without some numbers to improve micro-decisions.

Destro is the easiest to pick up and play. See target -> burn target.

Skill cap wise, destro and affl probably are identical. Just different decisions/management required for each. There's a ton of room between someone who has learned destro and someone who is a master of it.

Demo is hardest to pick up and to master.
    My style is rich, dope, phat; in which we'll bake a cake today that looks rich.

Demo seems to be a pain in the ass because you are trying to stack CD's and timers that just don't seem to want to stack. It seems like an uphill battle for low reward. I also think it requires the most planning and knowledge of the encounter.

Destro seems to be more flexible and it flows really well. More intuitive.

For these reasons I expect a complete overhaul of Destro while Demo remains untouched. HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    Destro is best described by the phrase "Easy to learn, hard to master". One of the main reasons why I love Destro so much and have (for better or worse) played it the entirety of this x-pac (even during MSV/ToES/etc when aff was pretty much top dog) is that it's extremely difficult to do optimal damage. There are so many decisions that need to be made around when to use your resources that it keeps the spec extremely interesting and fresh even after farming for a long, long time.

I def recommend Destro to newbies who are just starting out playing a lock as both Aff and Demo have a much tougher initial learning curve, but I think it's disingenuous and frankly incorrect to state that Destro is flat out the easiest of the specs. Aff is pretty damn simple in terms of the decisions that need to be made on most fights, compared to Destro.
    Oh, I agree completely. I only meant that it was "easiest" in the sense that it has a higher output at lower levels of skill. A player putting in minimal effort will do more damage as destro than as affliction all other things being equal. However, that's not a reflection of the fine tuning required to master the spec.

It's definitely my favorite spec, and what I played for most of MoP, except after I got UVLS, because that was just obscene. Though even after that I still played destro for heroic primordius because THAT was even more fun. I think that it's going to be one of my all time favorite fights.

i play destro on my boosted 90 warlock, and doing fairly good dmg, but i'm not as serious as most guys here xD

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by JV Chequer View Post
    Easier install an addon that make micro-management of dots than do it on WA, and most time ppl do in Wa in a poorly way without some numbers to improve micro-decisions.
    You should know how strong your procs are compared to each other. What Affdots mainly does is remembering how strong your current dots are so you don't have to think about how strong you made the dots last time you applied them. I agree that Affdots makes the spec much easier, but tracking your current procs have never been the issue.

Deleted
    I played without affdots on thursday as I disabled it for destro and forgot to turn it back on for Demo.

Not really that difficult to think about it when all you have is DS+PBI every 2 minutes and a BBoY which has random proc chance. The rest of our procs are kinda insignificant at this point.

Deleted
    Every spec in game is easy in single target fight, but when it comes to cleave and fights like norushen/nazgrim with multiple spawning adds that don't live too long affliction becomes a lot harder to master, since in theory you can keep those opener dots for so long on main target with 100% uptime on haunt, while keeping those same dots in every add and getting those free soulshards from dying mobs, where destruction only decides when to use havoc while spamming chaos bolt on main target and spamming shadowburn on low hp mobs. Ofc mastering spec is never easy, but atleast for me affliction is a lot harder than destro in those kind of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    There's many other decisions to make such as:
    * If I spend these embers will I have enough to get my AoE started on this pack spawning in a bit?
    * When do I conflag? Now when I'm on only 1 charge but may cap soon? Do I save Conflag for later when I need to move in conjunction with RoF, even if it's sub-optimal w/ no movement?
    * Should I consume 3xBackdraft w/ Chaos Bolt?
    * Do I Havoc a Chaos Bolt now or wait to try and get Shadowburns off adds a bit later?
    * Do I reapply Immolate early or late to get crit buffs?
    * How many targets do I hard-cast Immolate?
    * If I RoF now will I get full benefit or will adds move?
    * Should I RoF on one target?
    * Should I be using Havoc glyph?
    * etc

There's a ton of decisions that have no clear cut answer and can't really be effectively planned for. Obviously one could play without considering any of these things and only care about "whether or not to use an ember on low procs or wait ...", but that will only get you so far, and the hidden complexity shows itself in actual fights.
    TLDR: Easy to play, hard to master.
    Graviity

10+ Year Old Account
    Destro is the easiest and most fun, imo. Demo feels clunky and Affliction is just dot management. Don't like dots, just like nuking stuff down and destro is pretty much exactly that. One dot, relatively simple mechanics, and huge crits.
    Look! Words!