Deleted

Wow addons - writing/reading files without relog

Is it possible to write to/read from files without relogging/reloading the ui?

I'd like to write an addon that would capture user input, save it to a file, then an external app would use that data to send a http request to wowhead/wowwiki, write the response to a file and then the addon would make use of that data inside wow.

Not SavedVariables files. I don't even think that it's technically possible to inject a file's contents into active scripts just by saving it. It has to be loaded and interpreted at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by pwncake View Post
    Is it possible to write to/read from files without relogging/reloading the ui?

I'd like to write an addon that would capture user input, save it to a file, then an external app would use that data to send a http request to wowhead/wowwiki, write the response to a file and then the addon would make use of that data inside wow.
    It's not possible for that EXACT reason, actually. Addons are not supposed to be able to automatically interact with the internet in anything approaching real-time.

What you want is not possible.
    It has to be either a log out/exit or a reload of the UI.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by pnutbutter View Post
    Not SavedVariables files. I don't even think that it's technically possible to inject a file's contents into active scripts just by saving it. It has to be loaded and interpreted at some point.
    I believe addon files are only unloaded/reloaded on reloadUI, zoning, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoomieiii View Post
    That's what the OP wanted to know

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoomieiii View Post
    Does it happen on zoning? As far as I can tell from the events, and from the behaviour of tools that do this sort of interaction with external tools, it requires a full UI reload to write or read the SavedVariables files. I kind of assume that the lua code in the core, similarly, isn't reloaded, because it doesn't seem to, eg, create duplicate frames and event handlers every time I zone through to something.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Does it happen on zoning? As far as I can tell from the events, and from the behaviour of tools that do this sort of interaction with external tools, it requires a full UI reload to write or read the SavedVariables files. I kind of assume that the lua code in the core, similarly, isn't reloaded, because it doesn't seem to, eg, create duplicate frames and event handlers every time I zone through to something.
    I'd have to test it, to be honest. I don't know. I DO know you have to log all the way to the desktop to get the client to recognize new files.

Deleted
    No, they're not unloaded on zoning. The only events where a (re-)load occurs are ReloadUI() and logon/off.