Page 1 of 3
LastLast

At what point does ranked get harder?

Hey guys,

So I just got back into the game, I've never really played a LOT of ranked before, but I'm doing pretty good, sitting at a comfortable 62% win rate. As you can see, I'm going up in rankings pretty fast (started out in bronze 4, got to silver 2 now within a week ) and it keeps going up. I won 11 out of my last 13, most of them by carrying hard. I tend to play champs such as Jax, Yi or mobile ADCs (trist, etc) -- basically one-man armies.

Now I want to know at what point the game gets harder. Even though I'm at the highest ranking I've ever been, the enemies I'm facing still feel below my skill level (not to brag or anything, I just think I'm due to be a bit higher than where I am now). Currently, good warding and map awareness literally give me an edge over 99% of my opponents and I can save my allies by simply pinging a gank they didn't see on the map.

At what point does it even out, where every one pretty much has all the basic concepts down, stop doing retarded mistakes (overextending, turret diving) and have map awareness? Right now, maybe 1 player out of 2 seems to play safe, or how they should be playing. I'm assuming that eventually, everyone plays at that level. I'm simply curious. I'm thinking somewhere around mid-gold, such as G2 or G3. Thanks,

Chicken

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.lolking.net/summoner/euw/23153816#profile

You tell me, does it get harder?
    Hey everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Holy shit, a good shaco. NEVER seen one at my elo.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it never really even outs... people will always feed and make mistakes.

Also, you think ranked is all fun and games... until you get that 12 game loss-streak with 9 out of 12 games being lost due to AFKers/DCers... and the remaining 3 due to people feeding like mad or feeding and going AFK mid-game cause they mad.

At least in my case it made me lose faith in all of humanity and all the ISPs. And it also made me quit ranked forever as no shiny border is worth the frustration I got from that loss-streak.

Heck, I was on a roll just like you... skipping divisions left and right and steadily climbing higher. And than that happened. Ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gets harder when you are matched with players who accurately reflect your skill. You were obviously well below where you should have been, so you should catch up sometime. Your MMR should be pretty close to your actual skill now since it does take quite a few games to advance that far.

I guess you could also say that ranked will get harder when you plateau. You'll get to a point where getting better requires much more effort than it previously did, which would make ranked harder since you will start to climb slower.

Yea, I figured. Have you noticed though, a point or a rank where players stop doing "dumb" or avoidable mistakes?

By that, I mean not feeding, diving, knowing how to CS, ward, map awareness, etc, to a certain degree?
    Last edited by Chickensoup23; 2014-05-20 at 07:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    Yea, I figured. Have you noticed though, a point or a rank where players stop being "dumb"?

By that, I mean not feeding, diving, knowing how to CS, ward, map awareness, etc, to a certain degree?
    Well the thing is, the higher you are the more likely you're going to get punished so while those mistakes happen less, when they do, the enemy takes advantage of it and keep the lead afterwards.
    Hey everyone

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Yea, I figured. Have you noticed though, a point or a rank where players stop being "dumb"?

Lol, my friend, if you're after that kind of constant level of play look no further than challenger...
    As people have said, as soon as you start playing with people of your skill level and higher, only then you improve as a player.
    Oh and also, you're sorely mistaken if you think people don't dive in diamond and higher haha ^^, not everyone plays the game safe no matter how skilled you are.
    Keep on climbing, impressive you got from b4 to s2 in a week though regardless, although as you progress, naturally the climb is going to slow down.

Deleted
    It becomes harder when your computer is so shit, you have a 90% of your PC crashing in any game, you get super lag spikes (well screenfreezes) etc.

Whenever I play a game in LoL it seems as if my old PC is trying to quantum calculate, become the internet, create a consciousnesses, and enslave the world. (Play a game like Arkham Origins on medium settings and it's fine ...)

Yea, I figured. Have you noticed though, a point or a rank where players stop doing "dumb" or avoidable mistakes?

That point comes at diamond 1 - challenger, my friend.

Deleted
    No D1-Challenger still has people going full retard.

10+ Year Old Account
    At never point, always the same, even at challenger lvl (max elo)
    If u don't believe me just watch spectate games on daily basis, u will see games that end before 10min where 2 decide it is fun to afk and ward at base, brand jungler, support team troll (and lose), etc
    Only difference is probably u have higher chance to meet trollers in lower elo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    At never point, always the same, even at challenger lvl (max elo)
    If u don't believe me just watch spectate games on daily basis, u will see games that end before 10min where 2 decide it is fun to afk and ward at base, brand jungler, support team troll (and lose), etc
    Only difference is probably u have higher chance to meet trollers in lower elo
    You have higher chance to meet the trollers at your own elo - as that is where you play

Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post
    No D1-Challenger still has people going full retard.
    LCS games have plenty of idiotic moves.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, it has always been in stages. I spent a lot of time in low silver, about 2 months, despite having good mechanics and usually winning my lane.. but at some point, it just "Connected" how to synergize well with my team, carry my lane win to other lanes, get good communication and proactive wards for my jungler, and so on, and I went up several divisions extremely quickly. After that, I stuck around silver 1 for a while until I grasped how to proactively push the game, the concept of split pushing or seiging or taking their jungler, essentially how to push your advantage instead of idling and, in addition, how to mess up the other team doing it. Jumped several divisions after that. How hard ranked is pretty much depends on what you need to develop; eventually you're going to get a point where certain types of strategy or teamwork that you didn't have to worry about previously become essential, and you'll either figure out how it works properly or go idle there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duilliath View Post
    LCS games have plenty of idiotic moves.
    From yesterday: "well, I think I'm going to facecheck this unwarded bush when we know they're probably moving to ba- oh shit thresh hook."

Also, those lee sin kicks.

- - - Updated - - -

You'll see less of it as you move up, but it never goes away. Especially with dives. A lot of the time, a dive isn't a "bad" play persay, it's a risky one, and at a certain point things like that become a gamble. Sometimes the odds are definitely in your favor, but they just don't work out the way you want. A play from a few weeks ago came to mind with an orianna pretty much 1v3ing after a skirmish (don't even remember if it was NA or EU, sorry). It wasn't a bad play for them to engage on her, and on all accounts of fairness they should have killed her easily, but she managed to dodge about 6 skillshots in rapid succession and then wipe them out, simply because she was both an insane player and got lucky.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2014-05-22 at 09:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When climbing the ladder ranked games are not going to get magically harder. You just play with "more" competent people.

You're getting lucky with your teams. It happens. Look at me, I never get lucky. Take my last game for instance. My entire team was dead before I reached my red buff. enemy twitch got a double kill. Sion goes 1-9 vs Shyvana in lane. I couldn't gank anywhere. Sion and bot was always dead and ziggs couldn't follow a gank.

The game isn't hard. It's the people you get paired with that create the illusion it's hard cause they feed, or afk, or w/e they can to make you lose. You will eventually start getting these teams game after game.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Yeah I find that the enemies aren't getting more difficult, it is just getting harder to play with my teammates. I don't understand how you come back from a game where all 3 lanes lost, and the only one playing well is your jungler, but since all 3 lanes lost the enemy team has a good surplus of gold for the whole team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of you are forgetting that while you may be playing with more competent players, the enemy team also becomes more competent.
    Hey everyone

I'd say it gets harder to carry consistently the closer you get to your correct elo. That will vary depending on different people and their skill levels, but generally speaking people become more challenging to play against the higher you go (gradually, theres no point where everyone just suddenly becomes awesome).

Definitely true in my recent experience from Silver to Plat, and I have a friend who had a similar experience Bronze to Silver. I'm sure its the same Plat to Diamond.
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed more recently that my reaction time has greatly improved from what it once used to be which has quite surprised me. Ori ults were much easier to flash out of because I reacted faster, I was able to deceive in the right direction out of Lux ults on Shaco (deceive acts a bit slower than flash). Small things like that are noticeable improvements as to why I'm still rising.
    Hey everyone