Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    but its implementation and presumption of innocence is what makes it outstanding.
    Pretty sure this is common in like ... most civilized countries.

How many people get jailed, executed while innocent?

How many people get off free with murder or other crimes?

Many over the years, no doubt. They are the exception however. No system is perfect. There will be tragic cases such as these in the past and the future. It is the price we as a society pay for trying to have a justice system in the first place.

Hurricane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...p_ref=uk&ir=UK

So, I wonder what the pro-death penalty people think of this. But for an absurdly slow "justice" system a totally innocent man would have been killed, as it is he "only" lost nearly 3 decades of his life in the hell that is the prison system....
    Collateral damage. If we lose 1 person for every 100 that deserve it, then thats acceptable in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    This is why we need to install an express lane for capital punishment nationwide. We can avoid these embarrassing fuck ups by killing people before anyone figures out our mistakes.
    The Texas model!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Collateral damage. If we lose 1 person for every 100 that deserve it, then thats acceptable in my book
    Why am I not surprised that you can legitimize clear cut murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Why is the prosecution allowed to suppress evidence of someone else being involved? Prosecutors need to be held accountable for a lot of bullshit.
    Because the people voting for the DA don't want honesty. They want Tough On Crime and high conviction percentages.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather be killed than be left hanging for 3 decades even if I was imprisoned unjustly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    The average time from sentence to execution is almost 15 years in the US. http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/time-death-row

That's hardly a quick process.
    http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...54/097/bd3.jpg

It's a jab at good ol' Texas.
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    We tend to make a good punching bag for internet forums for some reason.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    We tend to make a good punching bag for internet forums for some reason.
    I'm sure you guys are just overrepresented. If we looked at other states I don't think it would be too hard to find some really weird shit.

Deleted
    What if it was you?

That man will never get back that time, no amount of money is enough. Got stitched up and almost killed. The death penalty should be abolished.

The US justice system is one of the best in the world. You may not agree with our laws or penalties, but its implementation and presumption of innocence is what makes it outstanding. No system is perfect and yes you're going to have oversealous prosecutors. You had the same thing with George Zimmerman. A carnival orchestrated by an overzealous DA who every expert said lacked the evidence she needed to get a conviction, yet proceeded anyway. You don't get to have it both ways. You can't march in the streets demanding "justice" and then complain that the system takes an extraordinary amount of time to resolve legal disputes because every rock eventually gets turned over.
    I was looking for sarcasm but couldn't find any. The U.S. imprisons too many people with sentences are too long. The United States has five per cent of the world's population, 25 per cent of the world's incarcerated people, and 50 per cent of the world's lawyers. The American system is fucked up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I'm sure you guys are just overrepresented. If we looked at other states I don't think it would be too hard to find some really weird shit.
    Florida comes to mind.

But California has a lot more people than Texas, yet they don't get aimed at quite so frequently. Maybe because CA is just freakin' awesome?

<---California native

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    What if it was you?

That man will never get back that time, no amount of money is enough. Got stitched up and almost killed. The death penalty should be abolished.
    I'd think, "Well this sucks." But I'd feel about the same as I would if I contracted Lou Gehrig's disease or something. Just one of the extremely unlucky out there, only in this case, there's a chance I can fight it in appeals, which I can't do with Lou Gehrig's.

Just to mention this one thing. I have no horse in this race. I don't care if there is or isn't a Death Penalty. But I also don't buy into the "one wrongful death is too many" argument either.

Deleted
    He should get all the money that the people in the jury have ever and will ever make. I think that sounds fair.

Why are people blaming the jury for this?

Oh, sensationalist racism baiting.

The jury had nothing to do with this, evidence was suppressed and never brought to trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Why are people blaming the jury for this?

Oh, sensationalist racism baiting.

The jury had nothing to do with this, evidence was suppressed and never brought to trial.
    Then the jury was too dumb to understand not to judge without any evidence. But as people said it's a state known for racism, so.

It's odd some people are of the opinion that appeals are bullshit, take too long, and waste money, yet here we have an innocent saved (if you want to call it that) after spending 29 years in jail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's odd some people are of the opinion that appeals are bullshit, take too long, and waste money, yet here we have an innocent saved (if you want to call it that) after spending 29 years in jail.
    That's the funny part on these forums. The most severe punishment (whether he's innocent or not) should be as fast as possible and as cheap as possible. And if it was a mistake, well shit happens I suppose?

Thank god some countries understand it's 2014. Not 1402.

This isn't a war.

Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    There's no need for an opinion from anyone, as common folks tend to be biased and use prejudice in their thinking.
    Most of the western societies frown upon this method of so called justice, hence the ethical and judicial reasons of it being banned.
    And cases like this are exactly why there should be a moratorium on capital punishment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    This isn't a war.
    How do you suspect Orlong would feel if he were that 1?