Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Wow, thank you for this breaking news that nobody in the world ever knew before: medication has side effects. Another piece of sensationalist garbage that takes an obvious fact and blows it up, and adds all the conspiracy ingredients, to some infowars-esque shit about "big pharma", etc... just look at the caliber of the related videos on this trash.

Everything is toxic in a high enough dosage. -First Rule of Toxicology

Side effects are measured in the percent effective. Within those thresholds they are "safe", but, even in trials of 1000 people, the 1 in a million allergic reaction cannot be seen. It is all a matter of scale. You watch some of the TV ads and the medication sounds worse than the problem. However, those usually occur in less than 0.1% of people.

An example: A friend's daughter was put on prozac, and had serious health problems. I told her to take her off of it as she is having "serotonin syndrome". Her doctor hadn't heard of it before. Within 2 days of stopping the medicine, the effective lifetime in her system, she was fine. A second opinion said that I was right based on her symptoms and the way she overcame them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Real life science is so much less exciting than people seem to think.
    My dad watches NCIS and CSI and shows like that. I'm watch and go "what the hell are they doing? that's not what that instrument does!"

Hey don't take your meds its cool more life for us.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    How do I smoke whole merijuana? It's main function in health is pain killer and appetite inducer. Pot being a cure all is reverse reefer madness... It's the same sensationalism, just in favor...
    While pot's medicinal properties may be overstated by many, its ability to induce appetite can indirectly improve the prognosis of diseases whose symptoms include loss of appetite and weight loss--like cancer. Wanting to eat definitely increases the chances of you getting the calories and nutrients your body needs to keep fighting.

In general, medicine is considered to be effective as long as the side effects it causes are more manageable than the symptoms it treats.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    One example: They test a drug on 100 people, if one is showing one weird side effect, they just ignore it and put a drug on a market.
    A lot of people are hospitalized and even die due to peanut allergies. Anything with peanuts should be taken off the shelf and not FDA approved(after all, most people don't know they have an allergy until the first time they try it). Seems like the logical extension of this complaint. Except this is more than 1%

The following story (which appeared in Discover Magazine some years ago) might be of some interest:

"Meningitis Mystery"

http://discovermagazine.com/1994/mar...gitismyster353
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    You should see the side effects on my ritalins for example, there is between 50-100 side effects (like sudden death lol) yet i have had one or two side effects in 4 years.
    My daily drugs include side effects such as 'cancer', yay the drugs that are keeping me alive will eventually kill me. Hooray for science.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure that someone has pointed this out:

Peanuts, a common food, and added to a lot off things in the form of peanut oil, can kill people. It is rare, but a food allergy to a FOOD can kill you. Now, this isn't something prescribed by a doctor, it us not even in the over the counter section of your drug department, but just out in the store for any kid to walk up and buy. I bring this up because shit happens. Blaming the medical community or drug companies for side effects is nonsense. As much as we want to believe that we are all humans and therefore the same, the reality is we can be quite different.

I have psoriasis. In a nutshell, my body is allergic to itself, and attacks it's own cells. That is a bit simplistic of an explanation, but the human body is still an enigma to the medical community, no matter how much we know already.

So, if a medicine fixes one problem in one person, it can cause a problem for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    You should see the side effects on my ritalins for example, there is between 50-100 side effects (like sudden death lol) yet i have had one or two side effects in 4 years.
    Suppressed appetite is a bitch when you're already skinny. I wish reverse liposuction was a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also am scared to take one medicine also.
    WoW Moderator and Staff Editor at Stratics-WoW!
    http://wow.stratics.com/ - A World of Warcraft Fansite dedicated to lively opinions on the important topics within the game.
    Co-owner of AcegamesTV!
    https://www.youtube.com/acegamestv - A general gaming network focused on high quality variety content!

Can I have all your gold after you quit?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.