Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

Using Google when I don't know what something is.

I think most people can agree that using Google is a smart thing to do when one doesn't know something.

Years ago, I used google for acronyms that were commonly used on the internet. ROFL/LMAO and the like took a Google search many years ago, because I literally had no idea what they meant. Well today I saw a random meme picture, and was like:

"Goatse? What is that? Why do these 2 women have shocked looks on their faces?"

To Google I went, must I knowledge may not always be power, but I know better for the future.

Anyways, anybody here ever get a disappointing answer from Google or any other search engine, in your own quests for enlightenment?

Depends on how esoteric the enlightenment. Sometimes when I try to look up very specific technical specs for stuff I get jack all.
    ( ; , , ; )

I had to google what google was once.

Quote Originally Posted by theostrichsays View Post
    I think most people can agree that using Google is a smart thing to do when one doesn't know something.
    No. It's not. It actually severely hinders the ability for a person to engage in critical thinking and deduction. In essence, the ability to "google" or "wiki" anything in a moment's notice via mobile is one of the biggest educational hindrances in our society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    No. It's not. It actually severely hinders the ability for a person to engage in critical thinking and deduction.
    This depends on how one uses Google and the results that it returns.

I prefer Wikipedia for actually learning something (keeping in mind its flaws), especially who a person may be (for potential NSFW reasons). I use Google mostly for answers or finding a specific website.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

15+ Year Old Account
    I look tons of stuff up on google, unless I think it might be something really dirty/shocking, then I make my husband google it & tell me what it is. (Mind-bleach kinda things, not just regular old nudity/mild gore)

No. It's not. It actually severely hinders the ability for a person to engage in critical thinking and deduction. In essence, the ability to "google" or "wiki" anything in a moment's notice via mobile is one of the biggest educational hindrances in our society.
    It's a double edged sword. If you want to learn more than one thing at a time you don't have to go to the library and fill your trunk with books. Some things you may want to learn aren't found in your local library to begin with. Although in the internet you have an increasing chance to stumble upon incorrect information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something has changed about the google search results since yesterday, every search is now coming up with commercial sites wanting to sell me something at or near the top with star ratings, more so than ever, followed by mainstream news sites. Big brother is closing in.

I generally fact check a lot of the crap people tell me. That whole you eat 8 spiders while sleeping thing? Total fake and was only made up to see what the biggest lie they could come up with and have the internet spread (maybe this is too!)

If it's a forum conversation I'll generally just ask what something is if I familiar w/ the thread because I want the 4 word answer.

Yeah well this is why you use search engines, to look up something you don't know. Don't come crying here if it turns out to be something... different. You have just experienced what we know as a shocksite and this one has been around for 10 years now. I suggest you do a search on lemonparty, blue waffle and 2 girls 1 cup to wash away those emotional scars. Okay i'm sorry, don't do that

Also:

Look above the door, goatse

(P.s. Next time you might wanna try wikipedia first. They give you the info without the pictures if it's too nasty like goatse)
    Last edited by giovannileanza; 2014-03-12 at 08:37 PM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

10+ Year Old Account
    There is nothing wrong with using Google to learn about things, just as there is nothing wrong with using books. As with any way of obtaining information, you have to make sure that the source is reliable, which is often the hardest part regardless of medium.

In respect of being disappointed with results, well that happens frequently, e.g. the camera work on celebrity sex tapes is almost always poor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I get bored and search for a single word or name and look at the first picture result; I like seeing what Google determines is the instant representation of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    There is nothing wrong with using Google to learn about things, just as there is nothing wrong with using books. As with any way of obtaining information, you have to make sure that the source is reliable, which is often the hardest part regardless of medium.

In respect of being disappointed with results, well that happens frequently, e.g. the camera work on celebrity sex tapes is almost always poor.
    I always thought Paris Hilton played a very convincing Raccoon.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    (P.s. Next time you might wanna try wikipedia first. They give you the info without the pictures if it's too nasty like goatse)
    Well, that was an interesting read...

Can certainly see why the OP did not like what he saw now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you just look up the information required and put zero more thought into it than that.
    I don't know how many times I've looked something up, and it lead to me reading wikipedia or something for hours trying to absorb everything about the subject I could find.

I couldn't disagree more. In my opinion what google and wikipedia do is expand on our ability to thinking critically and learn. First, information has never been more readily available. Take this example;

What is the life span of a sperm whale?

I just googled that shit and found a wiki that says it's around 70 years! Fuck! i didn't know that!

20 years ago answering that question would be FAR more inconvenient for me. I would have to stop what i am doing, make a special trip to the library and look it up in an encyclopedia. Now I just did it on a whim. A whim!

Second, this easy access to information also provides a much broader exposure to conflicting viewpoints. I am no longer limited to the three works my local library has on a subject that may or may not be biased. It's far easier for me to get information from multiple viewpoints giving me much more opportunity for my OWN critical thinking.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this a thread on the wonders of googling stuff, or a cheap bait for people to look up what goatse is to shock them?

Pro tip: if you don't already know what goatse is, you probably don't want to know.

Spoiler alert:

It is a man stretching his anus rather wide for the camera.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What can not be unseen....yikes...
    2 girls 1 cup....

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    2 girls 1 cup....
    1 man, 1 jar.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!