10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

[Movies] Goodbye Toshio Suzuki from Studio Ghibli

T-T Hope they can continue making great movies
    "65-year-old Toshio Suzuki has announced plans to retire from his producer role at Studio Ghibli. Suzuki co-founded the studio with animators Hayao Miyazaki & Isao Takahata in 1985 and served as studio president from 1985-2008. Suzuki served as producer for every Studio Ghibli film from Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989) through The Wind Rises (2013). Suzuki will take up the title of Ghibli “general manager” while 36-year-old Kaguya-hime no Monogatari producer Yoshiaki Nishimura will take over as the studio’s head producer."
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow... Toshio is going AND the legend Hiyao Miyazaki has said his next film will be his last...

I'm just not going to bother with Ghibli after that.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Wow... Toshio is going AND the legend Hiyao Miyazaki has said his next film will be his last...

I'm just not going to bother with Ghibli after that.
    You forget Miyazaki's son will still be making films, and his style is extremely similar to his fathers (though it has it's own charm as well). Do not give up on Studio Ghibli.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    You forget Miyazaki's son will still be making films, and his style is extremely similar to his fathers (though it has it's own charm as well). Do not give up on Studio Ghibli.
    You mean the son whose previous credit was running the museum and who made such wonderful movies as their butchering of Wizard of Earthsea?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the butchering of Howls Moving Castle was so much better?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Because the butchering of Howls Moving Castle was so much better?
    The difference is, before making that Miyazaki made a bunch of other beyond excellent movies. You're allowed to make a couple of duds when your backlog is a list of the best animated movies ever. When you've made one movie and it was a dud, you don't generally get put in charge of one of the most prestigous animation studios in the world.