Thread: New gaming PC

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

New gaming PC

So, after a few years gaming on a laptop it's getting more annoying every day and it's not running my games very high to say the least. So, time for a new PC I said to myself! Only problem is... I never built one, never even seen one being build. Just watched some guides on the web and it looks pretty doable I guess, even for a guy like me.

So first a few questions:
    -Even if you don't know a lot about building PC's like me, would you still suggest building them? Or would it be easier to just order a good one online? I don't mind to build one if it's an easy job. Like I said I'm already watching some guides and those guys make it look easy atleast.
    -Any optional stuff needed to buy besides the computer parts? Like screwdrivers or something for the case, but I don't know if I need them with this one. Also I saw some paste being put at the CPU sometime. Do I need that aswell?
    -How hard is it to setup a newly built PC? Do I need to install Windows on it where I need to pay like almost 100 euro's for? Or is it also possible to get the Windows CD-key from my current laptop (which I have) just curious if I can save myself this large chunk of money.

Okay, so here are the parts I had from a guide from some computer site giving away the parts for a decent gaming PC around 700 euro's. That's around the budget I'd like to be, but with the sidenote that it would be my goal to have a gaming PC which can display games that come out for the current gen consoles atleast on high. And ofcourse I'm willing to upgrade my GPU after a few years to keep it up to date as I read somewhere that's the part you would need to upgrade first for overall better performance. If that's incorrect, just tell!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 Boxed
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double Dissipation
    Hard drive: Seagate ST1000DX001, 1TB
    Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Closed
    Power supply: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W

It would be really cool if someone could help me out here as I'm quite clueless what to do and what not. I hope it's a decent gaming setup for the next few years! Thanks already for the effort!

Edit: Oh damn I didn't saw the Computer Build/Upgrade forum, could someone please place it there?
    Last edited by mmoc1376ef233f; 2014-03-13 at 04:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you already bought the parts?
    Give us the website you will buy them from, prices and availability is different for each country in europe.
    Yea, you do need to buy an OS, your laptop key won't work.
    Do you need a monitor?
    PM me weird stuff :3

Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    So, after a few years gaming on a laptop it's getting more annoying every day and it's not running my games very high to say the least. So, time for a new PC I said to myself! Only problem is... I never built one, never even seen one being build. Just watched some guides on the web and it looks pretty doable I guess, even for a guy like me.

So first a few questions:
    -Even if you don't know a lot about building PC's like me, would you still suggest building them? Or would it be easier to just order a good one online? I don't mind to build one if it's an easy job. Like I said I'm already watching some guides and those guys make it look easy atleast.
    -Any optional stuff needed to buy besides the computer parts? Like screwdrivers or something for the case, but I don't know if I need them with this one. Also I saw some paste being put at the CPU sometime. Do I need that aswell?
    -How hard is it to setup a newly built PC? Do I need to install Windows on it where I need to pay like almost 100 euro's for? Or is it also possible to get the Windows CD-key from my current laptop (which I have) just curious if I can save myself this large chunk of money.

Okay, so here are the parts I had from a guide from some computer site giving away the parts for a decent gaming PC around 700 euro's. That's around the budget I'd like to be, but with the sidenote that it would be my goal to have a gaming PC which can display games that come out for the current gen consoles atleast on high. And ofcourse I'm willing to upgrade my GPU after a few years to keep it up to date as I read somewhere that's the part you would need to upgrade first for overall better performance. If that's incorrect, just tell!

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 Boxed
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double Dissipation
    Hard drive: Seagate ST1000DX001, 1TB
    Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Closed
    Power supply: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W

It would be really cool if someone could help me out here as I'm quite clueless what to do and what not. I hope it's a decent gaming setup for the next few years! Thanks already for the effort!

Edit: Oh damn I didn't saw the Computer Build/Upgrade forum, could someone please place it there?
    Building a new PC isn't that hard, there are plenty and I mean plenty of viable videos about how to build one on just youtube alone, and as you already have a laptop you got a chance to write and ask on forums for guidance, which is always good.

You do not need any real tools apart for a Philips head screwdriver

Also: Yes you will need to get your hands on a new copy of windows, the key from your laptop won't be valid.

How tight you are on the budget, do you want the CPU to last for a long-er while or are you fine without overclocking? What are you paying for that 7970? Most or at least my 7970 makes a huge amount of noise (It's rated at 51dbA under load) and some r9 280x (which is just rebranded 7970) cards deliver better performance than even the GHZ edition of 7970.

Edit: Here is a build guide made on intel platform that is very easy to understand, also features a great case that I'd recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM
    Last edited by Lafdet; 2014-03-13 at 07:03 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Have you already bought the parts?
    Give us the website you will buy them from, prices and availability is different for each country in europe.
    Yea, you do need to buy an OS, your laptop key won't work.
    Do you need a monitor?
    I will probably buy them for different shops as it there is quite some difference between them, but parts are all still available as of now.
    Oh damn, it seemed so wasteful to spend like 80 euro's only on Windows but w/e so be it... Would you suggest Windows 8 maybe? I'm open for new stuff but if it's bad for gaming performance I'd always get 7. Just want your opinion on it
    Yes I need a monitor, keyboard and I'm not satisfied with my mouse either! So it will be a whole new setup, and I would like to stay under 1000 euro's with everything. So is there maybe a good monitor you suggest for under or around 200 euro's/250 dollars? Is there a resolution you think is better than the most used 1920x1080? Thanks again!

I will probably buy them for different shops as it there is quite some difference between them, but parts are all still available as of now.
    Oh damn, it seemed so wasteful to spend like 80 euro's only on Windows but w/e so be it... Would you suggest Windows 8 maybe? I'm open for new stuff but if it's bad for gaming performance I'd always get 7. Just want your opinion on it
    Yes I need a monitor, keyboard and I'm not satisfied with my mouse either! So it will be a whole new setup, and I would like to stay under 1000 euro's with everything. So is there maybe a good monitor you suggest for under or around 200 euro's/250 dollars? Is there a resolution you think is better than the most used 1920x1080? Thanks again!
    Often it is best to order parts from one store, or so I prefer for the it being so convenience of it and not needing several receipts to keep and all you warranty comes from one place. The difference between windows 7/8 is quite minimal at the moment when it comes to gaming performance and some may be harder to install on windows 8 or at least it was so a while back.

Staying under 1k euros might be stretching it a little, well especially if you wish to go with intel platform (Which I do not see as being needed -unless- you do some heavy video editing or you play MMOs as your to-go-to choice)

I personally use this monitor on my secondary PC/ to what I hook my laptop into: https://tinyurl.com/kpr85mh it's 24'' and quite value orientated as with that budget (and if you want to play some higher end games) you can't stretch it too much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lafdet View Post
    Building a new PC isn't that hard, there are plenty and I mean plenty of viable videos about how to build one on just youtube alone, and as you already have a laptop you got a chance to write and ask on forums for guidance, which is always good.

Also: Yes you will need to get your hands on a new copy of windows, the key from your laptop won't be valid.

How tight you are on the budget, do you want the CPU to last for a long-er while or are you fine without overclocking? What are you paying for that 7970? Most or at least my 7970 makes a huge amount of noise (It's rated at 51dbA under load) and some r9 280x (which is just rebranded 7970) cards deliver better performance than even the GHZ edition of 7970.

Edit: Here is a build guide made on intel platform that is very easy to understand, also features a great case that I'd recommend https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRvz_IYSgM
    Ye they already made it seem easy but I wasn't so sure though if I as a newbie could simply build it on my own, but you guys atleast give me confidence about it thanks!

Like I said this is a build around 700 euro's, was aiming to stay below 1000, and with mouse keyboard monitor and Windows still to be bought it's going to be around that price I guess. But if you have slightly more expensive options which will make my build significantly better I'm open for suggestions ofcourse

Well I'm open for overclocking but I really have no clue about what and how to do it. That being said I searched for people's opinions about it and one half said it's not that much improving the performance anymore nowadays and you can simply overheat parts, the other half said it's easy as hell and you can still get improvements out of it. So what do you say about it? My 7970 is 230 euro's and I looked at the R9 and it's 270 euro's. Is it better? For 40 euro's I'm definitely willing to pay that extra if it boosts my PC.

Oh and thanks with the build guide! Although I'm not sure about the case it's almost double the price of mine (mine is 50 the define r4 is almost 100) and I heard Corsair had good cases? How good is mine in my build? I saw some nice video's of Corsair cases with no screwdrivers needed and removable filters and all off the nice stuff you'd love to see coming with a case. Not sure if that's included in mine but I would love such a case which has those features and isn't too expensive either.

Anyways thanks again for helping out!

Ye they already made it seem easy but I wasn't so sure though if I as a newbie could simply build it on my own, but you guys atleast give me confidence about it thanks!

Like I said this is a build around 700 euro's, was aiming to stay below 1000, and with mouse keyboard monitor and Windows still to be bought it's going to be around that price I guess. But if you have slightly more expensive options which will make my build significantly better I'm open for suggestions ofcourse

Well I'm open for overclocking but I really have no clue about what and how to do it. That being said I searched for people's opinions about it and one half said it's not that much improving the performance anymore nowadays and you can simply overheat parts, the other half said it's easy as hell and you can still get improvements out of it. So what do you say about it? My 7970 is 230 euro's and I looked at the R9 and it's 270 euro's. Is it better? For 40 euro's I'm definitely willing to pay that extra if it boosts my PC.

Oh and thanks with the build guide! Although I'm not sure about the case it's almost double the price of mine (mine is 50 the define r4 is almost 100) and I heard Corsair had good cases? How good is mine in my build? I saw some nice video's of Corsair cases with no screwdrivers needed and removable filters and all off the nice stuff you'd love to see coming with a case. Not sure if that's included in mine but I would love such a case which has those features and isn't too expensive either.

Anyways thanks again for helping out!
    I'm sure you can get decent PC with 700euros, along with a monitor etc. Intel based system tend to be more expensive however, and yes the case is a bit more expensive and mostly for the name it has made for itself and the fact it has a great built quality (as you can see later on in the video). Overclocking barely affects gaming performance outside of games like WoW and other mmos that need the extra of it, which is why I was curious if you need a intel based system since AMD ones will run games just fine, well apart for something like WoW on ultra at all times.

Your case will be just fine for the built you made and as for the GPU, if you can find an asus direct cu top version for that 40 euros more I would definitely go with that it's one of the more quite versions of r9 280x and also preforms the best of them or at least very close unless you are willing to throw in a silly amount for a few frames.

Most cases need nothing but a Philips head screw driver so don't be overwhelmed by that.

Made an AMD based system that is decent enough here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/392do

Ended out at about 930 euros including monitor and OS, though that price of the r9 280x may be inflated due to mining so I wouldn't go too far as to looking to it.

The CPU cooler installation may be a bit taunting at first, but as said there are many videos about it and for that specific one even on youtube or whatnot, always good to keep your system cool.

If you insist on good mmo-rpg performance then that AMD one is quite a waste, at least if you plan on getting some high frames with high details.
    Last edited by Lafdet; 2014-03-13 at 07:37 AM.

Deleted
    Often it is best to order parts from one store, or so I prefer for the it being so convenience of it and not needing several receipts to keep and all you warranty comes from one place. The difference between windows 7/8 is quite minimal at the moment when it comes to gaming performance and some may be harder to install on windows 8 or at least it was so a while back.

Staying under 1k euros might be stretching it a little, well especially if you wish to go with intel platform (Which I do not see as being needed -unless- you do some heavy video editing or you play MMOs as your to-go-to choice)

I personally use this monitor on my secondary PC/ to what I hook my laptop into: https://tinyurl.com/kpr85mh it's 24'' and quite value orientated as with that budget (and if you want to play some higher end games) you can't stretch it too much.
    Ok well I'm buying it from one store then. Azerty.nl is the one with good service and most cheap from what I heard of. And I'm just going with Windows 7 then. Well I do wish to play games like ESO on 60 fps on high settings and I'd love to get my future games running smooth aswell. Should that be possible on the setup I showed?

Nice monitor btw, just a bit expensive. I looked a bit cheaper and since I'm coming from a laptop screen I'm satisfied with screens a bit quicker! I found this onehttp://http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL...ds=benq+gl2250

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you can get decent PC with 700euros, along with a monitor etc. Intel based system tend to be more expensive however, and yes the case is a bit more expensive and mostly for the name it has made for itself and the fact it has a great built quality (as you can see later on in the video). Overclocking barely affects gaming performance outside of games like WoW and other mmos that need the extra of it, which is why I was curious if you need a intel based system since AMD ones will run games just fine, well apart for something like WoW on ultra at all times.

Your case will be just fine for the built you made and as for the GPU, if you can find an asus direct cu top version for that 40 euros more I would definitely go with that it's one of the more quite versions of r9 280x and also preforms the best of them or at least very close unless you are willing to throw in a silly amount for a few frames.

Most cases need nothing but a Philips head screw driver so don't be overwhelmed by that.

Made an AMD based system that is decent enough here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/392do

Ended out at about 930 euros including monitor and OS, though that price of the r9 280x may be inflated due to mining so I wouldn't go too far as to looking to it.

The CPU cooler installation may be a bit taunting at first, but as said there are many videos about it and for that specific one even on youtube or whatnot, always good to keep your system cool.

If you insist on good mmo-rpg performance then that AMD one is quite a waste, at least if you plan on getting some high frames with high details.
    I consider myself a bit of an MMO player, although I do have some Steam games I'd like to play which I can't play now at settings I enjoy like the Witcher 2. But if I'm having my new PC I'll definitely get some more next gen games, so I'm a bit of a gamer of both sides I guess. However I'm open for another chip ofcourse since my goal is not to play WoW at ultra. Is there any AMD chip you'd suggest for my build?

Okay cool I'm definitely picking up the r9 280x thanks for that! Btw, I have r9 280x Gaming 3G version here, is that the one I should get?

Oh and thanks about the screwdriver I feel relieved now :P

And I almost forgot, do I need a built in disk drive? I plan on doing everything digital but for something like Windows or something else?

Ok well I'm buying it from one store then. Azerty.nl is the one with good service and most cheap from what I heard of. And I'm just going with Windows 7 then. Well I do wish to play games like ESO on 60 fps on high settings and I'd love to get my future games running smooth aswell. Should that be possible on the setup I showed?

Nice monitor btw, just a bit expensive. I looked a bit cheaper and since I'm coming from a laptop screen I'm satisfied with screens a bit quicker! I found this onehttp://http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GL...ds=benq+gl2250
    I am not sure how well optimized ESO, but however from what I figured it is most likely way better than something like WoW which is just straight out awful, and yes windows 7 is the safe bet to met at least. Windows 8 was made with touch-screens in mind, so not really satisfied by how it is to use.

Those parts you chose generally will do well. I personally would invest a bit more and get a z-87 board (it has additional bells and whistles and gives you the chance to overclock later on, if wanted) along with 4670k (slightly faster, overclockable CPU and also quad-core like yours).

Yeah, pretty much any led screen of your choice will be decent and I have high-trust when it comes to benQ myself, never had any issues with their screens.

Anyway: For mmo-s I would definitely stay with intel, just to be sure. The 4440 I am not super familiar with, however it is slightly slower (and of course cheaper) than the more commonly used I5 4670k which has the option for an overclock (which you could do once you have money for a better CPU cooler and maybe when it is needed in the years to come)

The motherboard you chose seems decent, if that is all you are really looking for, surely someone else can give their opinion if it differs, but as a rule of thumb I'd avoid any boards with VIA audio chips. Just, no.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I consider myself a bit of an MMO player, although I do have some Steam games I'd like to play which I can't play now at settings I enjoy like the Witcher 2. But if I'm having my new PC I'll definitely get some more next gen games, so I'm a bit of a gamer of both sides I guess. However I'm open for another chip ofcourse since my goal is not to play WoW at ultra. Is there any AMD chip you'd suggest for my build?

Okay cool I'm definitely picking up the r9 280x thanks for that! Btw, I have r9 280x Gaming 3G version here, is that the one I should get?

Oh and thanks about the screwdriver I feel relieved now :P

And I almost forgot, do I need a built in disk drive? I plan on doing everything digital but for something like Windows or something else?
    I assume you've got an optical-drive in your laptop which means you can create a bootable USB to install your windows from, so no drive is needed. I never use that myself, the AMD system I posted earlier is pretty much the best one for the money you can get. The CPU (at least most likely) will increase in performance after developers start to utilize those additional cores.

How to create a bootable usb-drive for windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJwiILbsdo

Haha. Yeah the tools you may need is a bit overwhelming when you start building a system, but all you need is just your basic screwdriver.

Edit: Did some additional researches and did stumble upon this statement ''So from what I saw (which was the same observations you made) is ESO clearly needssome additional optimizations for CPU usage when too many players or structural content (towns) is on screen . Both are causing questionable frame rate drops driven purely by the CPU and yet the CPU isn’t reaching 100% maxed out usage. So there is definitely a performance issue there.'' - Hereby I wouldn't recommend going with an AMD based system at all.

Thus your build is fine, you can swap the case to the FD define r4 if you wish to and go with I5 4670k (and the same board, or upgrade to z87 based one for further overclockability [Is that a word?])

Also!

This is the card I meant:

http://azerty.nl/0-5829-648623/asus-...-grafisch.html

Appears to be quite a bit more expensive than the 7970 (didn't even know they sold those anymore), however it is also the faster card out of the two and surely stays cool and quite (if you like quite optimization)
    Last edited by Lafdet; 2014-03-13 at 08:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both are causing questionable frame rate drops driven purely by the CPU and yet the CPU isn’t reaching 100% maxed out usage. So there is definitely a performance issue there.'' - Hereby I wouldn't recommend going with an AMD based system at all.
    What kind of bull are you talking about? The CPU will hardly reach 100% due to Windows restrictions, also based on thead number, if game only uses 2 threads, it will MAX hit 50% on i5, and 25% on i7 'cpu usage'.

Leaving all the other stuff said aside:

If you want i5, you should only aim for 4670k, but that's out of your budget (usually the CPU should be roughly 30% of total cost, a good monitor is less than 100e then 80e for OS and that leaves you with 500-700e for whole build, as 4670k costs 200e, it's gonna be too expensive, unless you are willing to buy GPU later on when you get more money).

Having all that said, if you can wait a month for money to buy a GPU, let me know. For now your best option is an i3 build:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€110)
    Motherboard: ASRock H81M (€49)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (68e)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (51e)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite k380 ATX Mid Tower Case (40e)
    Power Supply: XFX pro450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (50e)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) (129e)
    Monitor: LG 22EN43T-B 21.5" Monitor (109e)
    Total: 611euros

note: what the **** 130euros for Windows, lol >.> I should note there are *cough*other*cough*methods*cough*

now for the GPU:
    750ti is 145euro http://azerty.nl/0-5644-674365/asus-...-grafisch.html
    760 is 217euro http://azerty.nl/0-5644-630964/asus-...5-grafisc.html
    r9 270x is 164euro http://azerty.nl/0-5829-649109/sapph...dual-x-oc.html

So, yea, those are your options based on your budget.

What kind of bull are you talking about? The CPU will hardly reach 100% due to Windows restrictions, also based on thead number, if game only uses 2 threads, it will MAX hit 50% on i5, and 25% on i7 'cpu usage'.

If you want i5, you should only aim for 4670k, but that's out of your budget (usually the CPU should be roughly 30% of total cost, a good monitor is less than 100e then 80e for OS and that leaves you with 500-700e for whole build, as 4670k costs 200e, it's gonna be too expensive, unless you are willing to buy GPU later on when you get more money).

Having all that said, if you can wait a month for money to buy a GPU, let me know. For now your best option is an i3 build:

note: what the **** 130euros for Windows, lol >.> I should note there are *cough*other*cough*methods*cough*

now for the GPU:

As you saw, that was a quote found from other users that play the game and not ''me talking'', please read what I said before going into calling BS ;D

With that budget, yeah probably right to go with I3, however knowing as MMOs are CPU demanding it probably won't be enough to get anything like a new game (eso) to be playable with high settings at all times.

Edit: Also even with the most expensive GPU out of the options, there is still about 200 euros left to play with due to the budget range being at 1k, unless one of course plans to buy some KB that alone can cost 200, like a mechanical one.

As for the monitor, the BenQ 24'' is 10 euros more expensive for 2 more inches, should size matter.

Long story short: I don't see one running anything like EsO at high settings with a budget of 700, could be wrong and all of what was said are just opinions and findings based on those who play the game, in case that was not obvious.
    Last edited by Lafdet; 2014-03-13 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As you saw, that was a quote found from other users that play the game and not ''me talking'', please read what I said before going into calling BS ;D

With that budget, yeah probably right to go with I3, however knowing as MMOs are CPU demanding it probably won't be enough to get anything like a new game (eso) to be playable with high settings at all times.

Edit: Also even with the most expensive GPU out of the options, there is still about 200 euros left to play with due to the budget range being at 1k, unless one of course plans to buy some KB that alone can cost 200, like a mechanical one.

As for the monitor, the BenQ 24'' is 10 euros more expensive for 2 more inches, should size matter.
    1) I was calling that statement BS
    2) i3 has only like 10% less single thread performance than i5, so it is enough for ultra for most mmos, just not super high FPS (around 30 sounds about right).
    3) He said
    Like I said this is a build around 700 euro's, was aiming to stay below 1000

I should note that if OP wants to go for 4670k, he will need to add 200e, which with 750ti would be just below 1k euro for total.

1) I was calling that statement BS
    2) i3 has only like 10% less single thread performance than i5, so it is enough for ultra for most mmos, just not super high FPS (around 30 sounds about right).
    3) He said

I should note that if OP wants to go for 4670k, he will need to add 200e, which with 750ti would be just below 1k euro for total.
    Was to make sure it wasn't misunderstood, that's all. I'm sure one if any can see how fast things develop into forum drama Oo.

Aye, 1k with the monitor which I did imply as well, suppose I should stop using the ''playable frame rate'' being 45+ term as most appear to see something like 30 as decent. Also! Wasn't aware of the performance per core difference between I3 and I5, however EsO for example utilizes 4 cores (according to their recommendations at least), so in theory I'd see I5 performing quite a bit better, of course that comes with a cost of a better GPU (which in turn results in worst performance in some AAA tittles), have to make cut outs with a budget like that :3

10+ Year Old Account
    however EsO for example utilizes 4 cores (according to their recommendations at least)
    Recommendations don't really mean that much
    You need to play the game and see thread utilization for yourself.
    i3 has HT so it's 4 threads, sure they are weaker than i5 real 4 threads.
    Seems I was abit wrong, the i5 is only around 5% stronger than i3 in single thread performance.
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/415...5_i5-4440.html

But MMO will have one thread highest utilization, the one that deals with packet synchronization.

Deleted
    I am not sure how well optimized ESO, but however from what I figured it is most likely way better than something like WoW which is just straight out awful, and yes windows 7 is the safe bet to met at least. Windows 8 was made with touch-screens in mind, so not really satisfied by how it is to use.

Those parts you chose generally will do well. I personally would invest a bit more and get a z-87 board (it has additional bells and whistles and gives you the chance to overclock later on, if wanted) along with 4670k (slightly faster, overclockable CPU and also quad-core like yours).

Yeah, pretty much any led screen of your choice will be decent and I have high-trust when it comes to benQ myself, never had any issues with their screens.

Anyway: For mmo-s I would definitely stay with intel, just to be sure. The 4440 I am not super familiar with, however it is slightly slower (and of course cheaper) than the more commonly used I5 4670k which has the option for an overclock (which you could do once you have money for a better CPU cooler and maybe when it is needed in the years to come)

The motherboard you chose seems decent, if that is all you are really looking for, surely someone else can give their opinion if it differs, but as a rule of thumb I'd avoid any boards with VIA audio chips. Just, no.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you've got an optical-drive in your laptop which means you can create a bootable USB to install your windows from, so no drive is needed. I never use that myself, the AMD system I posted earlier is pretty much the best one for the money you can get. The CPU (at least most likely) will increase in performance after developers start to utilize those additional cores.

How to create a bootable usb-drive for windows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFJwiILbsdo

Haha. Yeah the tools you may need is a bit overwhelming when you start building a system, but all you need is just your basic screwdriver.

Edit: Did some additional researches and did stumble upon this statement ''So from what I saw (which was the same observations you made) is ESO clearly needssome additional optimizations for CPU usage when too many players or structural content (towns) is on screen . Both are causing questionable frame rate drops driven purely by the CPU and yet the CPU isn’t reaching 100% maxed out usage. So there is definitely a performance issue there.'' - Hereby I wouldn't recommend going with an AMD based system at all.

Thus your build is fine, you can swap the case to the FD define r4 if you wish to and go with I5 4670k (and the same board, or upgrade to z87 based one for further overclockability [Is that a word?])

Also!

This is the card I meant:

http://azerty.nl/0-5829-648623/asus-...-grafisch.html

Appears to be quite a bit more expensive than the 7970 (didn't even know they sold those anymore), however it is also the faster card out of the two and surely stays cool and quite (if you like quite optimization)
    Oh, well I'd really like to play ESO at high settings without any problems, I've gotta say I'm satisfied with a minimum of around 30 fps in crowded areas but I don't know if that's doable. But I'm definitely willing to change something if that makes it better to play for MMO's. Even if it gets more expensive. So you're saying I better get the 4670K together with the other motherboard and both overclock it? I'm definitely willing to do that if that makes a huge difference, thing is I really have no clue how to overclock just yet but I'm not stupid so I guess I can figure it out? How hard is it exactly and what do I need to do? I saw stuff about thermal paste and whatnot.

Thanks with the GPU! What's the difference between the one you mentioned and the MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3G?

Oh and let's say I have set up a nice build for today gaming, if I change my GPU for a good one in about 2 years, does that make the life of my PC significantly longer? Or do I need to upgrade even more for that? I'd love to play the next few years everything on high, and after that with an upgrade still play the newest games just not on the highest settings. Is that possible you'd think?

Thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, well I'd really like to play ESO at high settings without any problems, I've gotta say I'm satisfied with a minimum of around 30 fps in crowded areas but I don't know if that's doable. But I'm definitely willing to change something if that makes it better to play for MMO's. Even if it gets more expensive. So you're saying I better get the 4670K together with the other motherboard and both overclock it? I'm definitely willing to do that if that makes a huge difference, thing is I really have no clue how to overclock just yet but I'm not stupid so I guess I can figure it out? How hard is it exactly and what do I need to do? I saw stuff about thermal paste and whatnot.

Thanks with the GPU! What's the difference between the one you mentioned and the MSI Radeon R9 280X Gaming 3G?

Oh and let's say I have set up a nice build for today gaming, if I change my GPU for a good one in about 2 years, does that make the life of my PC significantly longer? Or do I need to upgrade even more for that? I'd love to play the next few years everything on high, and after that with an upgrade still play the newest games just not on the highest settings. Is that possible you'd think?

Thanks again!
    In case you missed it, I already did a build for you :P

You can upgrade GPU in a few years, sure.
    So what is your budget? Any of the 3 GPU's I mentioned will handle Ultra for MMO's.

Deleted

now for the GPU:

Wow thanks for helping out! Great build you just put together. Well I'd like to point out I'm definitely willing to pay a bit more if that helps my build a lot. Although I like the better CPU for MMO's and whatnot, I have no clue about overclocking. Does the 4670K really need to be overclocked to get the max out of it?

Btw, take away the *cough*Windows*cough* from the build if you want. That should give a bit more options I hope. I was a bit skeptical about it because I once heard someone had problems by being detected because of the ''other methods'' he used. Shouldn't that be any problem if you're cautious enough?

Are there any of those GPU you really recommend or is it just plain simple the more expensive the better?

Oh and if it's decent enough to play new games and games like ESO WoW Wildstar for the next couple of years I'm more than satisfied. If that's not even coming close to this setup and we need to get over 1000 euro's so be it!

Thanks again for helping out!

- - - Updated - - -

In case you missed it, I already did a build for you :P

You can upgrade GPU in a few years, sure.
    So what is your budget? Any of the 3 GPU's I mentioned will handle Ultra for MMO's.
    Haha I just saw it ye :P it's overwhelming all this tech talk! Nice you can help me out here.

So let's see, if I get this cheaper build with i3 and one of the GPU's you mentioned I can play the next few years most upcoming games like for example Watch Dogs Assassin's or w/e comes out on high settings with high fps? And also MMO's in crowded area's at high settings with high FPS still. That's for me around 30 or something, I'm always around 15-20 now so it will a big improvement already :P

If it's not that great and you suggest upgrading some parts I'll definitely do that, but if you say I can survive for the next few years and after upgrading even longer I'd be really happy. That way I can go for a 24 inch monitor, is there any difference between LG or BenQ? You mentioned LG and Lafdet mentioned BenQ, or is it just taste?

Once again, thumbs up for helping out man

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow thanks for helping out! Great build you just put together. Well I'd like to point out I'm definitely willing to pay a bit more if that helps my build a lot. Although I like the better CPU for MMO's and whatnot, I have no clue about overclocking. Does the 4670K really need to be overclocked to get the max out of it?

Btw, take away the *cough*Windows*cough* from the build if you want. That should give a bit more options I hope. I was a bit skeptical about it because I once heard someone had problems by being detected because of the ''other methods'' he used. Shouldn't that be any problem if you're cautious enough?

Are there any of those GPU you really recommend or is it just plain simple the more expensive the better?

Oh and if it's decent enough to play new games and games like ESO WoW Wildstar for the next couple of years I'm more than satisfied. If that's not even coming close to this setup and we need to get over 1000 euro's so be it!

Thanks again for helping out!

- - - Updated - - -

Haha I just saw it ye :P it's overwhelming all this tech talk! Nice you can help me out here.

So let's see, if I get this cheaper build with i3 and one of the GPU's you mentioned I can play the next few years most upcoming games like for example Watch Dogs Assassin's or w/e comes out on high settings with high fps? And also MMO's in crowded area's at high settings with high FPS still. That's for me around 30 or something, I'm always around 15-20 now so it will a big improvement already :P

If it's not that great and you suggest upgrading some parts I'll definitely do that, but if you say I can survive for the next few years and after upgrading even longer I'd be really happy. That way I can go for a 24 inch monitor, is there any difference between LG or BenQ? You mentioned LG and Lafdet mentioned BenQ, or is it just taste?

Once again, thumbs up for helping out man
    Buying 4670k to OC is the only reason worth buying it for
    OC is as simple as clicking a button, for very 'basic' OC, if you want to go deeper you have to enter numbers in manually. There are plenty of videos on youtube for EXACTLY the mobo you would buy for the CPU you will use

Ok, so the final build would look like this (I recommend the r9 270x, the same I have now, I play WoW on Super Ultra and I get 50+FPS in raids, but the resolution is 1680x1050):
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€194)
    CPU cooler: 212 EVO (30e)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A (€116)
    GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x (165e)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2450 24" Monitor (118e)
    Total: 831 euros (roughly)

At this point, I would HIGHLY recommend an SSD, if you can spare the money:

M500 120GB, 60euro:
    http://azerty.nl/0-1990-613824/cruci...-sata-600.html

Total with SSD should be below 900e.

Guide for overclocking with Asus motherboards:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-03-13 at 10:38 AM.

Deleted
    Buying 4670k to OC is the only reason worth buying it for
    OC is as simple as clicking a button, for very 'basic' OC, if you want to go deeper you have to enter numbers in manually. There are plenty of videos on youtube for EXACTLY the mobo you would buy for the CPU you will use

Ok, so the final build would look like this (I recommend the r9 270x, the same I have now, I play WoW on Super Ultra and I get 50+FPS in raids, but the resolution is 1680x1050):
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4330 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (€194)
    CPU cooler: 212 EVO (30e)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A (€116)
    GPU: Sapphire Dual-X R9 270x (165e)
    Monitor: BenQ GL2450 24" Monitor (118e)
    Total: 831 euros (roughly)

At this point, I would HIGHLY recommend an SSD, if you can spare the money:

M500 120GB, 60euro:
    http://azerty.nl/0-1990-613824/cruci...-sata-600.html

Total with SSD should be below 900e.

Guide for overclocking with Asus motherboards:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7zPu9255ZI
    Wow thanks. Okay then, should I get the 4670K for better performance or should I let the i3 stay in there? And let's say if I also want to get the SSD you mentioned, what advantage is that for my pc? Just extended memory? And do I need to replace it with one of the other onboard memories or is it just extra to put in your PC?

I watched the video and think I can do that, but I just don't get how to get into that menu. He tells something about downloading BIOS or something from the site but it's nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm stupid? Or do I need the motherboard to be able to get into those menu's to overclock? Well if the i3 is nothing to worry about performance wise I'll keep it that way. It's just that I currently have i7, no clue what the advantages are but it just feels like a downgrade for a newbie like me

Also do I need thermal paste if I tend to get the 4670K processor? And did you add the cooler especially for the overclockable motherboard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow thanks. Okay then, should I get the 4670K for better performance or should I let the i3 stay in there? And let's say if I also want to get the SSD you mentioned, what advantage is that for my pc? Just extended memory? And do I need to replace it with one of the other onboard memories or is it just extra to put in your PC?

I watched the video and think I can do that, but I just don't get how to get into that menu. He tells something about downloading BIOS or something from the site but it's nowhere to be found. Maybe I'm stupid? Or do I need the motherboard to be able to get into those menu's to overclock? Well if the i3 is nothing to worry about performance wise I'll keep it that way. It's just that I currently have i7, no clue what the advantages are but it just feels like a downgrade for a newbie like me

Also do I need thermal paste if I tend to get the 4670K processor? And did you add the cooler especially for the overclockable motherboard?
    SSD is like old Hard Drive, it's for your OS and a few select games. My Win7 starts up in like 7-10s. If you play WoW a lot, you keep it on SSD and the loading from character select to world takes like 3-5s
    If you are confused, take a look at the link in my sig to see a nice picture of my PC

Maybe you got something wrong, you access BIOS by repeatedly pressing Delete key on keyboard after you push the button to turn on your PC.

the 212EVO comes with thermal paste, you need to apply it on cooler, though. The cooler is needed to allow better cooling when you overclock your 4670k, I must say if you are worried about your CPU temps, like me, you can add it to any CPU.
    There will be noticeable difference between i3 and an overclocked 4670k, I was merely saying there is no BIG difference between i3 and locked i5 (the one you can't overclock).