Need some Insight

Allright im sitting here trying to write my paper, I can't think straight or even attempt to write it because I have a hard time seeing why I have to do it. Yes its for a grade at college but what is college really going to give me. How is it going to put money in my pocket when technically it is just taking it out. Todays society its all about going to school or going back to school to get a degree. Why is society based upon this now. I am about a page and a half and need 5 pages for this paper, its not going to happen in an hour because to me it is pointless. I only need to finish this semester for a associates degree not even in a good study just arts/science because I have taken a lot of credits. That degree is not going to get me shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a reason. You've already paid for it. You may as well get credit.

Also, I'd never have the position I have now without a degree. While a degree doesn't guarantee you anything, not having a degree can nearly guarantee you DON'T get certain jobs.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Okay sounds legit its just hard to press on w/o seeing any good outcome. Reeve if you don't mind me asking what field are you in? Because where I am now which is okay for me has been about me learning on my own and on the job learning. Nothing to do with college/classes nor if I get a degree this company will recognize and promote me because of schooling. I know there is many other companies out there however getting into them is always the most difficult part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annthrax View Post
    Okay sounds legit its just hard to press on w/o seeing any good outcome. Reeve if you don't mind me asking what field are you in? Because where I am now which is okay for me has been about me learning on my own and on the job learning. Nothing to do with college/classes nor if I get a degree this company will recognize and promote me because of schooling. I know there is many other companies out there however getting into them is always the most difficult part.
    I'm a Bid Engineer for a seismic exploration company. I basically do cost estimation and pricing for our big oil exploration contracts. I started in doing QHSE (Quality, Health, Safety, Environment) field work internationally. The company never would have hired me in the first place without the degree (which was in Business - Marketing, not QHSE), in part because our clients have requirements as to the level of qualification of the people working on our crews, and also in part because many countries require college degrees to justify giving work visas to foreign personnel.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2014-03-13 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you only get out of something what you put in.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    So why are you even in school? If you don't value the education you're paying for, you're basically wasting the money you're spending. The biggest issue facing education today is this idea that you should go to college after secondary. For most people, it isn't necessary, and if you're looking at training for a job, you'd be better served spending your time in a trade school, community college, or apprenticeship program, depending on the field.

Not to dismiss the value of education; I've got two degrees, one in Education, and I'm returning for graduate school in the fall, but if the student doesn't want it and isn't interested in it, they're wasting their own time and money, as well as the time of their professors and fellow students.

Hmm... I am at university. Thus far we have not been required to hand in papers for a grade or anything. Does it depend on the study or?

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Hmm... I am at university. Thus far we have not been required to hand in papers for a grade or anything. Does it depend on the study or?
    It's probably a local collage or a private school. These two generally really care about their dropout and failure rates. By requiring frequent homework they help the schools numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually had 1-2 papers I had to write per class per semester on average. Typically around 10 pages each. A 5 page paper seems like something you should be able to push out in an hour or so if you already know what you're wanting to say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So why are you even in school? If you don't value the education you're paying for, you're basically wasting the money you're spending. The biggest issue facing education today is this idea that you should go to college after secondary. For most people, it isn't necessary, and if you're looking at training for a job, you'd be better served spending your time in a trade school, community college, or apprenticeship program, depending on the field.
    I think he is in community college. He mentioned this is for an associate's degree. And of course he's right that an associate's degree probably isn't going to help him much if he doesn't continue his education further.

You're right, though, that if you aren't doing a course of study that will actually help you in the job market, you're probably wasting your money on a 4 year program, and that's a lot of people. Unless, of course, you're already wealthy enough that you can afford to throw that money away, in which case that's great because this world needs intellectuals too.

Deleted
    Different types of schooling, In the UK the first few years are mainly examination based with a couple of papers and then in the final year you get to right a dissertation, hooray.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he is in community college. He mentioned this is for an associate's degree. And of course he's right that an associate's degree probably isn't going to help him much if he doesn't continue his education further.

You're right, though, that if you aren't doing a course of study that will actually help you in the job market, you're probably wasting your money on a 4 year program, and that's a lot of people. Unless, of course, you're already wealthy enough that you can afford to throw that money away, in which case that's great because this world needs intellectuals too.
    And that's all I'm trying to say; education is great, and it's something I'd love for everyone to want to pursue. But if you don't want the education, and see it just as a hurdle to be surpassed, you're wasting your time, and your professor's time, and probably shouldn't have gone to post-secondary in the first place. If the career path you want to pursue requires it, then you should be figuring out why it requires it; degrees aren't busywork that serve no purpose. You need the classes they require, for any job that's going to require that kind of degree.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    If the career path you want to pursue requires it, then you should be figuring out why it requires it; degrees aren't busywork that serve no purpose. You need the classes they require, for any job that's going to require that kind of degree.
    Eh, not necessarily. I did learn things in my course of study, of course, but it was nothing I couldn't have easily learned on the job. I did, however, need the piece of paper to get hired, not only because of the requirements of my company, but also of our clients and the governments of the countries in which I've worked.

Deleted
    I agree, and I go through the same thought patterns when stressed out with college work.. I agree life has become overly business-fied and structured, but hey, what can you do.. Just get on with it

Jesus, it's an hour of work. Just learn to suck it up and write things when you're not in the mood. Whining about how mean society is will do fuckall to improve your plight.