Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Ground mount speed boost = no need for flying

    I posted this as a comment and decided to make it in to a thread: "You know if they increased ground mount speed by 50% %100 more (only in pve not pvp), then people would be okay with change and heck it be a lot more fun going at high speeds in the ground."

    So what do you guys think? if they did this would it no be more fun to go at super high speeds on the ground instead of flying over stuff.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  2. #2
    All ground mounts would look silly with 150 or 200% speed, so no.

  3. #3
    I agree it would be more fun, I would love the change.I think most people want the flying just to skip over the mobs and various walls,hills, other things though.
    s(^.^)-b

  4. #4
    No. Speed isn't the advantage. Being able to more in a direct line and avoid unwanted obstacles that makes flight the better choice.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    All ground mounts would look silly with 150 or 200% speed, so no.
    like the game isn't silly looking at all...Seriously this would be so fun and it be a new feature of WoD if they implemented it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    No. Speed isn't the advantage. Being able to more in a direct line and avoid unwanted obstacles that makes flight the better choice.
    I'm more in the line of thinking that it would be more fun and not more efficient, Flying over obstacles all the time is pretty boring and the world looks pretty darn empty, this would be a more fun approach and a middle ground to the situation instead of just disabling flying.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,171
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos5577 View Post
    I posted this as a comment and decided to make it in to a thread: "You know if they increased ground mount speed by 50% %100 more (only in pve not pvp), then people would be okay with change and heck it be a lot more fun going at high speeds in the ground." So what do you guys think? if they did this would it no be more fun to go at super high speeds on the ground instead of flying over stuff.
    Nope. In fact it would be all the more infuriating, because it would be difficult to catch people running away for PvP.

    What needs to be done instead: Get rid of flight paths, make them teleporters that are instant. Vastly increase # of portals in game from place to place. WITHIN large zones, put in zone-based "flight paths" that can either be flight paths (traditional) or can be lore-based (such as Kil'ruk flying you around in Dread Wastes).

    Flying mounts aren't great because you can travel short distances with them, they are great because you can travel long distances with less monotony. That is why "no flying" didn't SEEM like a big deal on our zones, they were small zones, and you don't need flying just to travel around on a small zone.

    A marginal ground speed boost does nothing to beat the real problem of removing flying and only adds additional problems.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos5577 View Post

    I'm more in the line of thinking that it would be more fun and not more efficient, Flying over obstacles all the time is pretty boring and the world looks pretty darn empty, this would be a more fun approach and a middle ground to the situation instead of just disabling flying.
    Just to play devil's advocate: If getting from point A to point B is the only goal (i.e. people aren't having fun on the way regardless of speed), then the point is somewhat moot. Whether it's resource farming, meeting friends, moving to a quest hub, a sizeable portion of the population just want to get there with as little fuss as humanly possible. A faster ground mount doesn't really help that. Flying does.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos5577 View Post
    like the game isn't silly looking at all...Seriously this would be so fun and it be a new feature of WoD if they implemented it.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I'm more in the line of thinking that it would be more fun and not more efficient, Flying over obstacles all the time is pretty boring and the world looks pretty darn empty, this would be a more fun approach and a middle ground to the situation instead of just disabling flying.
    Faster mount speed would not be a new feature.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    Nope. In fact it would be all the more infuriating, because it would be difficult to catch people running away for PvP.

    What needs to be done instead: Get rid of flight paths, make them teleporters that are instant. Vastly increase # of portals in game from place to place. WITHIN large zones, put in zone-based "flight paths" that can either be flight paths (traditional) or can be lore-based (such as Kil'ruk flying you around in Dread Wastes).

    Flying mounts aren't great because you can travel short distances with them, they are great because you can travel long distances with less monotony. A marginal ground speed boost does nothing to beat the real problem of removing flying and only adds additional problems.
    Blizz could fix this if they wanted by just making it so that if you get hit even once by an enemy player you would unmount and have to fight him in a pvp server and also I said that this speed boost wouldnt work in pvp ie battlegrounds.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    Faster mount speed would not be a new feature.
    It kind of is for ground mounts, when's the last time blizz made ground mounts that fast in the last couple of years. Now it would be more awsome if they made a nitro button on certain mounts as well to go even faster. I can think of all the fun i would have with that with a mage.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    All ground mounts would look silly with 150 or 200% speed, so no.
    Leave it to this community to knock what could be a good compromise between design philosophy and the wants of players. We have walking talking pandas and cows so the worry of a silly looking game went out the window a long ass time ago. Enough already.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    No. Speed isn't the advantage. Being able to more in a direct line and avoid unwanted obstacles that makes flight the better choice.
    Are you saying being able to go faster won't make it easier to evade mobs and being dazed? Really? Isn't that the entire crux of the argument against removing flying? This right here shows a lot of players have no interest in a dialogue with Blizzard. They want what they want and come hell or high water they are going to demand it until they get it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nightfalls View Post
    Nope. In fact it would be all the more infuriating, because it would be difficult to catch people running away for PvP.

    What needs to be done instead: Get rid of flight paths, make them teleporters that are instant. Vastly increase # of portals in game from place to place. WITHIN large zones, put in zone-based "flight paths" that can either be flight paths (traditional) or can be lore-based (such as Kil'ruk flying you around in Dread Wastes).

    Flying mounts aren't great because you can travel short distances with them, they are great because you can travel long distances with less monotony. That is why "no flying" didn't SEEM like a big deal on our zones, they were small zones, and you don't need flying just to travel around on a small zone.

    A marginal ground speed boost does nothing to beat the real problem of removing flying and only adds additional problems.
    You do realize he said only in pve right? And if we are talking world pvp there are many many many significantly more serious issues with world pvp than mount speed not to mention the fact world pvp was never ever intended to be fair. Faster ground mounts don't have the same issue as flying mounts do. Seriously it is comments like this that make me feel sorry for Blizzard having to attempt a dialogue with a community that only hears what it wants to hear and is essentially a brick wall.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate: If getting from point A to point B is the only goal (i.e. people aren't having fun on the way regardless of speed), then the point is somewhat moot. Whether it's resource farming, meeting friends, moving to a quest hub, a sizeable portion of the population just want to get there with as little fuss as humanly possible. A faster ground mount doesn't really help that. Flying does.
    A faster ground mount wouldn't be an improvement over current ground mount speeds? I'm out. This is why these threads are always so fucking pointless.

    I do have one more thing to say though not that the QQers have any interest and yes they absolutely are QQing because we don't even have the proper context to see how removing flying in new content when that content isn't even in beta yet and even the press has had very limited time to play it and in only a few zones so far. We need to see how this plays out in beta and more importantly how it plays out for end game in beta. As much as Blizzard wants to get feedback on this much of it is nothing more than a bunch of chicken littles throwing a hissy fit over something before they even know if it is a problem.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2014-03-15 at 10:23 PM.

  11. #11
    Remove the dismount daze shit that is so outdated at this point and double flight path speed.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate: If getting from point A to point B is the only goal (i.e. people aren't having fun on the way regardless of speed), then the point is somewhat moot. Whether it's resource farming, meeting friends, moving to a quest hub, a sizeable portion of the population just want to get there with as little fuss as humanly possible. A faster ground mount doesn't really help that. Flying does.
    If the goal was to just get from point A to B than the solution would be to just port everywhere but thats not the entire goal of a mount, there other things you can do with it like exploring and getting collectibles. Higher mount speed for ground would increase the gameplay of trans-versing the world.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  13. #13
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,133
    Point a is where I am
    Point B is where I need to be to have fun.
    The distance between Point A and Point B is wasted time. Flying is simply the most efficient use of my game time to have fun.

    Whilst increasing ground mount speed would be a good start, if there is a mountain range to go round, or a large crevasse that I need to find away across, then it is not fun, it is wasting MY time in game. It has been said in countless other threads, and ill repeat it here. The removal of flying till 6.1 (regardless of how good they implement other forms of travel" is not only a huge mistake, it is a slap in the face of every person who has limited amount of time or like's to play efficiently.

  14. #14
    So you ignore large parts that has been said on the subject, and offer a fix which in reality solves very little.
    The issues I have seen discussed in some cases have little to do with the time spent, but more the control it offers in avoiding tedious or simply annoying design.
    Levelling content which holds little to no value at level cap only serves to delay players, and actually puts in increased competition for those kills making it harder for those actually interested to get the kills they want.

    Quote Originally Posted by RaZDaZ View Post
    Remove the dismount daze shit that is so outdated at this point and double flight path speed.
    Officially the daze mechanic is meant to penalise poor decisions, but that is just utter rubbish.
    There is nothing fair about penalising a player by taking the decision making process out of it.
    It is random, your decisions have no impact on whether it happens or not.
    You can opt to avoid a larger group and run past only 1 or 2 mobs and still be dazed, but could still run through a crowd of 10 and not.
    The decision doesn't determine the result, rather sheer dumb luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I don't understand why we don't have flying so they tell us we will have convenient flight points. Immersion and danger? Here take some coins and fly me there while I read facebook or go take a poop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

  15. #15
    The Patient Lockrocker75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    BFE (thats why I play WoW)
    Posts
    298
    I think 150% ground mounts would be fine. Anything faster than that, Idk, might feel a little funny.

  16. #16
    High Overlord Daethz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    192
    We dont need more speed. It already takes like 5 minutes to fly from north kilamdor to the edge of uldum, WoW used to be so much better when we actually saw other players running around on the ground, in the air we never see other people, rarely.

    Id like to see all flying mounts get a type of in-air fatigue where they can only fly so long before needing to land, and it should be so annoying that people would rather run on the ground most of the way.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Point a is where I am
    Point B is where I need to be to have fun.
    The distance between Point A and Point B is wasted time. Flying is simply the most efficient use of my game time to have fun.

    Whilst increasing ground mount speed would be a good start, if there is a mountain range to go round, or a large crevasse that I need to find away across, then it is not fun, it is wasting MY time in game. It has been said in countless other threads, and ill repeat it here. The removal of flying till 6.1 (regardless of how good they implement other forms of travel" is not only a huge mistake, it is a slap in the face of every person who has limited amount of time or like's to play efficiently.
    So what you're saying is that in order for you to maximize your fun you would need the ability to teleport to anywhere you so desire. I think people are looking at this in terms of grinding for stuff instead of thinking about how you would interacting with the world and its obstacles. If grinding for nodes/stuff was really your top concern then blizz should just decrease recipe prices (in terms of stuff you need to collect for them) if they were to ever implement something like this to replace flying.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  18. #18
    I want this just to see the camels go full retard.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolii View Post
    I want this just to see the camels go full retard.
    Okay I see that you guys are concerned with how animals look going that fast. I think it would be solve with some animation tweaking.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    So you ignore large parts that has been said on the subject, and offer a fix which in reality solves very little.
    The issues I have seen discussed in some cases have little to do with the time spent, but more the control it offers in avoiding tedious or simply annoying design.
    Levelling content which holds little to no value at level cap only serves to delay players, and actually puts in increased competition for those kills making it harder for those actually interested to get the kills they want.



    Officially the daze mechanic is meant to penalise poor decisions, but that is just utter rubbish.
    There is nothing fair about penalising a player by taking the decision making process out of it.
    It is random, your decisions have no impact on whether it happens or not.
    You can opt to avoid a larger group and run past only 1 or 2 mobs and still be dazed, but could still run through a crowd of 10 and not.
    The decision doesn't determine the result, rather sheer dumb luck.
    Then we should just leave it the way it is because the world of warcraft is just getting to max level and only using the world occasionally to farm items. Endgame might as well be its own game then, where you just raid and pvp. The world was once and integral part of the game and now it is rendered useless at max level, they tried to fix it by bringing in world bosses but nevertheless WoW doesnt feel like an mmo anymore unless you go to cities.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

  20. #20
    Maybe 10000g for 100% -> 110% for ground mounts I could live with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •