Page 1 of 34
... LastLast

Question Young Republicans in favour of same-sex marriage

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...-sex-marriage/

Young people continue to be the strongest proponents of same-sex marriage. And as public support for same-sex marriage continues to grow, the gap between young and old is nowhere more striking than within the Republican coalition.

Today, 61% of Republicans and Republican leaners under 30 favor same-sex marriage while just 35% oppose it. By contrast, just 27% of Republicans ages 50 and older favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry.

This generation gap among Republicans comes against a backdrop of rapidly changing public opinion overall on the issue. More than half the public (54%) now favors allowing gays and lesbians to legally marry, a record high in Pew Research surveys, in keeping with findings from other recent polls. Democrats and Republicans remain on opposite sides of the issue, with 69% of Democrats and Democratic leaning independents favoring same-sex marriage compared with 39% Republicans and Republican leaners.

On this [gay families] issue, young Republicans’ views are more in line with Democrats. And while support for gay marriage is higher among youn gay familiesger Democrats and Democratic leaners than older Democrats, even Democrats 65 and older favor same-sex marriage by a margin of about two-to-one.

The relative liberalism of young Republicans on issues of homosexuality goes beyond their support for gay marriage. Just 18% of Republicans under 30 say “more gay and lesbian couples raising children” is a bad thing for American society, while 26% say it is a good thing (56% either say it doesn’t make a difference or they don’t know). By comparison, majorities or pluralities of older Republicans say this trend is a bad thing for society.
    Personally I'm surprised, but at the same time also not surprised. I'm surprised that a majority of people who identify as republicans offer these positive stances. It's a good thing. It's a sign that hopefully the old "ancient" view of the republican party is changing on social issues. Maybe in 10-20 years time the entire "gay marriage is sin" mantra gets wiped out completely.

~happy~

Good. It's about time people started focusing on fiscal conservatism (which isn't that bad) and stop fuckin about with the social aspects.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

It shouldn't matter your political stance, its more of an ethical stance. Why should we treat a certain segment of the population like lesser beings because their lifestyle differs from the "norm" or from yours?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Floopa View Post
    Personally I'm surprised, but at the same time also not surprised. I'm surprised that a majority of people who identify as republicans offer these positive stances. It's a good thing. It's a sign that hopefully the old "ancient" view of the republican party is changing on social issues. Maybe in 10-20 years time the entire "gay marriage is sin" mantra gets wiped out completely.

~happy~
    The article does not say majority of Republicans support gay marriage, it simply reinforces the idea that young people are more in favor of gay marriage. It's why the contrast is so striking, if that majority was shared across the party, there would not be such a striking contrast.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

hmm I'm in my mid 20s and 100% against it. statistics don't prove anything. besides, you used British spelling 'favour' - so why do you even care?

I'm not surprised. Good news though.
    ( ; , , ; )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Good. It's about time people started focusing on fiscal conservatism (which isn't that bad) and stop fuckin about with the social aspects.
    It doesn't say anything that has not long been established. Young people are more socially progressive than old people, even in the Republican Party.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It doesn't say anything that has not long been established. Young people are more socially progressive than old people, even in the Republican Party.
    It's still good

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    hmm I'm in my mid 20s and 100% against it. statistics don't prove anything. besides, you used British spelling 'favour' - so why do you even care?
    No, this article proves what Elvis did 50 years ago... The fact that you are an outlier, doesn't change that...

- - - Updated - - -

It's still good
    Sure, it's just that this good is normal... Which is good...

fuckin Lion King of Bollywood is on full charge right now!

10+ Year Old Account
    fuckin Lion King of Bollywood is on full charge right now!
    It's the circle of life!

A lot of republican anit same sex marriage comes from religious views, seeing as how less and less people are identifying with a religion now I'm not surprised to see the number opposed in decline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsurprising, it's not young republicans that are the problem (if you see the views of the republican party as a problem, that is) - the issue is fringe group idiots like the tea party and the slightly older generation. With some exceptions, McCain for example is fantastic - if you remove Palin from the picture.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Inevitable, really. Conservatism is only going to continue to lose its foothold in society. There is no reason to discriminate against homosexuals where marriage is concerned. None.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... that's you, but it says MOST young people (Not all) support same-sex marriage

Note: At least in the USA

Honestly most people (on both sides) would look at this and say "...duh! Kinda obvious!"

The problem isn't the view of the Republicans, it's the view that those nutjob barkers/tea party/religious idiots forcefully perpetuate and paint onto the Republicans that cause the problem.

Having new Republicans come in with modern-day viewpoints is good, but it won't change anything if they just sit silent and STILL VOTE for those who are against all their moral beliefs EXCEPT their "big government" views.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people in their 20s are against any type of marriage. Your argument is invalid. :-D

Most people in their 20s have opinions that don't matter too.

huehuehue

Quote Originally Posted by Interception View Post
    Most people in their 20s are against any type of marriage. Your argument is invalid. :-D
    haha indeed ! it's too early to marry anyone at this point for me hehe

You sound like you aren't a homosexual either. Why do you care, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.