View Poll Results: Psionics and Bards

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Psionic

    27 17.88%
  • Bard

    36 23.84%
  • Psionics & Bards

    17 11.26%
  • No.

    71 47.02%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Wasn't Death Knights, perhaps Unholy in particular, envisioned as a sort of spellbreaker class very early on?
    I know they originally had an ability that dealt damage through protective shields equal to the defense the shield would have provided. I was super stoked to try it on Kaelthas.

    A spell breaker type class would be super cool, and there's plenty of ways to go with it, so I do hope one makes it into the game eventually.
    blah, new sig... something something

  2. #82

  3. #83
    Elemental Lord Haven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
    Posts
    8,764
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.

    As for psionics, no. We've got shadowpriests to do the mental stuff.
    "A NAME IS A CLOAK OF LETTERS THROWN UPON A MAN. IT MEANS NOTHING." - Transcendent One, Planescape: Torment.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.

    As for psionics, no. We've got shadowpriests to do the mental stuff.
    Agreed. Bards are simply lame as hell. I also don't think sound-based DPS or Healing makes a whole lot of sense, or compelling gameplay. Just seems like another spellcaster.

  5. #85
    I would love the Bard class added. I fell in love with my Bard in EQ and would jump at the chance to try one out in WoW.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.
    I hated when Bards were played like that. I wasn't one of those kind of players. I couldn't see just standing there like that. So I would weave 3 (4 if I could manage it) songs and jump into the fight.

    I really loved charming something and having it fight along side me.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2014-03-15 at 04:53 AM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.

  6. #86
    Scarab Lord Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    4,018
    People who aren't sold on Tinker need to rethink what a Tinker could possibly be. Even if the name sucks... A commando, gun-wielding-bomb-throwing-trap-laying DPS class would be awesome.

    A Hunter without the pet, poisons, aspects and animal references. Then throw in bombs, tripwire, dual-wielding ranged weapons and unloading a barrage of bullets smoking a cigar.

    Yeah, I want that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.

    As for psionics, no. We've got shadowpriests to do the mental stuff.
    And it was always a halfling, just prancing around and shit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    I know they originally had an ability that dealt damage through protective shields equal to the defense the shield would have provided. I was super stoked to try it on Kaelthas.

    A spell breaker type class would be super cool, and there's plenty of ways to go with it, so I do hope one makes it into the game eventually.
    Anything but another melee class.... *looks at Demon Hunter*
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    If it's too hard, go to bed and forget about it.

    - Manakin.

  7. #87
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Threads like these simply showcase why the Tinker is the most likely future class.

    Rangers= Covered by Hunters
    Demon Hunters= More likely a Warlock spec
    Bards= No history in the Warcraft universe
    Psions= Shadow Priests
    Dragonsworn= Covered by multiple classes
    Spell breakers= Covered by Mages and other classes. Blizzard eliminated resource damaging from game

    Tinker is all we have left.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2014-03-15 at 01:05 PM.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Threads like these simply showcase why the Tinker is the most likely future class.

    Rangers= Covered by Hunters
    Demon Hunters= More likely a Warlock spec
    Bards= No history in the Warcraft universe
    Psions= Shadow Priests
    Dragonsworn= Covered by multiple classes
    Spell breakers= Covered by Mages and other classes. Blizzard eliminated resource damaging from game

    Tinker is all we have left.
    any melee spec of tinker will be covered by already existing melee classes. The mechanics will be the same only resource bar will have different color.
    I can see technology based spec on future ranged class but there would be freaking hard to find place for another melee class.
    and hybrid class that would use ranged in one spec, 1H, 2H and maybe even shields would be nightmare for looting... and thats also why DH as 4th warlock melee spec would be awful :/.

    real petless marksman hunter(not only at 100 lvl) maybe supported by magic as you said about Naga witches... + ranged rogue + bombing techno gunner
    and here we go.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Threads like these simply showcase why the Tinker is the most likely future class.

    Rangers= Covered by Hunters
    Demon Hunters= More likely a Warlock spec
    Bards= No history in the Warcraft universe
    Psions= Shadow Priests
    Dragonsworn= Covered by multiple classes
    Spell breakers= Covered by Mages and other classes. Blizzard eliminated resource damaging from game

    Tinker is all we have left.
    oh my god go away

    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

  10. #90
    Adding more WoW classes is always a very hard thing to do... Lore wise, balance or just the fact that you already got so much classes that got tiny bits from other possible classes..

    I answered "no" in this poll, but Im not against more classes.
    Bard doesn't have a space in WoW universe.
    Psionic is mostly covered by Shadow priest.

    Im really looking forward if they pull a meaningful Class into WoW again !

  11. #91
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post
    any melee spec of tinker will be covered by already existing melee classes. The mechanics will be the same only resource bar will have different color.
    Not if the mechanics are based around repairing the technology while in combat. For example, while you're taking damage, some of the damage is distributed to your mech, causing some of the mech's abilities or benefits to fail if the device becomes too heavily damaged.

    Another method would be to make a ranged/melee hybrid similar to the Engineer in Torchlight 2. A class that can excel at either range, only limited to the weapon they have on them at the time. One concept I thought would be cool would be for the Tinkerer to "tinker" with the weapons they equip, transforming them into more technological-based weaponry. So a staff or mace could be transformed into something like Gelbin is holding in this picture;



    Or a rifle (gun) could be transformed into a more advanced firearm.

    I can see technology based spec on future ranged class but there would be freaking hard to find place for another melee class.
    and hybrid class that would use ranged in one spec, 1H, 2H and maybe even shields would be nightmare for looting... and thats also why DH as 4th warlock melee spec would be awful :/.
    I would say Melee only if there's a tanking spec. If its DPS/DPS/Heal, then there's no need for melee at all. The physical ranged could originate from the mech, or could be based around turrets or pets. That staff that Gelbin is holding could operate the same way a Wand would.

    In the end, there's a ton of things you can do with a technology class.

  12. #92
    This isnt a tinker thread. Crawl back in your hole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The Death Knight handles the Necromancer theme. There's no design space for such a class in WoW.
    Yes there is. See Paladin and Priest. Same exact situation with Holy Magics. If anything, the Warlock as a dark caster/minion class impedes on a Necromancer, not the DK.

    Also, love Bards and "Enchanter/Mesmer" classes. WoW needs 1.

    Rift and EQ1 did the best Bards.

    Also:

    Pandas once an April Fools joke.
    Playable Pandaren.

    Bard once and April Fools joke.
    ...........MAYBE
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  14. #94
    Voted Bard because its most classic, yet still interesting.

    Enough of this modern Van Helsing, Demon Hunter crap, it doesnt belong here.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Not if the mechanics are based around repairing the technology while in combat. For example, while you're taking damage, some of the damage is distributed to your mech, causing some of the mech's abilities or benefits to fail if the device becomes too heavily damaged.

    Another method would be to make a ranged/melee hybrid similar to the Engineer in Torchlight 2. A class that can excel at either range, only limited to the weapon they have on them at the time. One concept I thought would be cool would be for the Tinkerer to "tinker" with the weapons they equip, transforming them into more technological-based weaponry. So a staff or mace could be transformed into something like Gelbin is holding in this picture;



    Or a rifle (gun) could be transformed into a more advanced firearm.



    I would say Melee only if there's a tanking spec. If its DPS/DPS/Heal, then there's no need for melee at all. The physical ranged could originate from the mech, or could be based around turrets or pets. That staff that Gelbin is holding could operate the same way a Wand would.

    In the end, there's a ton of things you can do with a technology class.
    All of which sounds utterly terrible. WoW does not need a technology class.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.
    I'd like to see a tougher Bard. While I agree Bards in other MMOs up until this point have been just dancing around strumming their lutes and shit trying to 'mesmerize' opponents, I'd like to see a grittier one. I can picture a large orc with two war drums at his side, hammering out badass rhythms to amp up his allies. There have been a lot of uses for music to boost morale in war, not just Johnny Harp strumming away to charm a snake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  17. #97
    Elemental Lord Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Beach City
    Posts
    8,778
    Quote Originally Posted by PureGenius View Post
    All of which sounds utterly terrible. WoW does not need a technology class.
    Fortunately you'll have 11 other classes to appeal to your tastes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yes there is. See Paladin and Priest. Same exact situation with Holy Magics. If anything, the Warlock as a dark caster/minion class impedes on a Necromancer, not the DK.
    Priest use Shadow magic for DPS. Paladins don't use Shadow at all.

    Death Knights use the exact same magic as Necromancers. Also the whole purpose behind Necromancers is raising the dead and spreading disease. Death Knights already cover that. Additionally, DKs have a lot of ranged spells to boot.

    What would Necros bring that's different from DKs?

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    ...dual-wielding ranged weapons and unloading a barrage of bullets smoking a cigar.
    You'd think the bad ass cigar smoking types would be more common in WoW since all the negative effects of smoking are one global cooldown away from a cure.

    Anything but another melee class.... *looks at Demon Hunter*
    Yeah, that is probably the biggest problem with that class. Way too many melee classes, but I don't really know if a class entirely ranged is all that cool either. I mention in most threads like this how I'd like to see a class that had resource restrictions that forced them to spend time in both melee and ranged positions during a combat. Who knows if it will ever happen.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    I'd like to see a tougher Bard. While I agree Bards in other MMOs up until this point have been just dancing around strumming their lutes and shit trying to 'mesmerize' opponents, I'd like to see a grittier one. I can picture a large orc with two war drums at his side, hammering out badass rhythms to amp up his allies. There have been a lot of uses for music to boost morale in war, not just Johnny Harp strumming away to charm a snake.
    Yes please. I prefer the Skald to the bard concept hands down.
    blah, new sig... something something

  19. #99
    there are 16 melee specs and 17 ranged specs in game currently.
    so the next class should have 2 melee specs and 1 range.

    that would put it at 18 melee specs and 18 ranged specs.

    my vote is still demon hunter.

  20. #100
    As many have said, Psionics are simply Shadow Priests. They'd be so mechanically similar that I doubt there would be much difference. Not to mention that Psionics are found no where in WoW lore outside of Shadow Priests (Or Shadowmages, for NPCs).

    As for Bards, I actually think many people are ignoring a piece of lore that suggests that Bards could be a playable class one day:

    http://wowpedia.org/Tauren_Chieftans

    Not only do they exist in-game, but the ETC is going to be a playable character in Heroes of the Storm. That suggests a template to make into a class, much like the Death Knight and Brewmaster from WCIII were templates for the DK and Monk classes in WoW.

    To throw in my opinion on some other classes that have been mentioned:

    Demon Hunter - I could see this as a fourth spec for Warlocks, but considering how people have been clamoring for them, they've gained more prominence in several Cataclysm quests, and they have a new template to work off of thanks to Illidan's inclusion in HotS, I'd say they're likely to show up in a Burning Legion themed expansion as a new Hero class.

    Rangers - Fairly well covered by the Hunter class, although I could possibly see a Dark Ranger class, or fourth Hunter spec, with charms and poisons.

    Spellbreakers - I feel a Demon Hunter spec or class would likely be integrated with Spellbreaker abilities rather than us seeing a whole class built out of them. I could see them as a fourth Mage spec, however.

    Dragonsworn - Possible, although I'd imagine we're more likely to see a Draconic race (Such as Drakkonids) over a Draconic-themed class.

    Tinkers - Considering that we're getting a new template for them through Gazlowe in HotS, I'd say it's likely we'll see them as a class, either standard or Hero.

    Necromancers - I feel that the Death Knight and Warlock classes cover a Necromancer fairly well, but I could maybe see them as a class that uses hordes of minions, flesh crafting, and decay-style spells. Although I feel it's unlikely, I won't count it out as a possibility in a Return of the Lich King expansion, possibly as a standard class.

    Runemasters - With the Monk being a class, and the Death Knights already using the rune resource system, I feel these are even less likely than a Necromancer class. They'd be mechanically almost identical to Monks with Death Knight runes; not to mention that the vast majority of their lore is confined to the now-defunct Warcraft pen-and-paper RPG. I'd say these are the least likely candidate for a new class.

    Timewalkers - Considering they've been given three to four distinct roles already (Warden, Weaver, Watcher, and possibly Historian), I'd bet that this will be the next Hero class that's added to the game.
    Last edited by AbalDarkwind; 2014-03-15 at 06:49 PM.
    Professor of History at Silvermoon University

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •