Poll: Psionics and Bards

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I RP my shadow priest (who started out as a guild NPC but took on a life as his own) as a "bard" in terms of combat ability-- his primary focus is emotional manipulation, rather than direct combat. If I translated him to a Pathfinder-system game, I'd probably want to use the bard class as a starting point and modify the specific class abilities, flavor text, and spell lists to suit the character (with the DM's oversight, of course.) This doesn't carry over to gameplay, however.

However, WoW doesn't have a support role, so a bard-like class would be difficult to implement. Even if you're giving the other DPS a boost to their output and reducing the enemy's effectiveness at the cost of doing much lower personal DPS, some idiot is still going to spam meters and try to get you kicked for being "bad." (Seriously, this is from someone who's seen healers kicked from groups for not doing enough DPS before, meter worshipers are idiots.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    the no pet option one?
    That would be the one. Its like the Hunter version of GoSac.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    That would be the one. Its like the Hunter version of GoSac.
    its a nice option for those who want it. the only complaint i have seen about it is.
    "why do we have to wait until level 100 to get it?"
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    its a nice option for those who want it. the only complaint i have seen about it is.
    "why do we have to wait until level 100 to get it?"
    True, I'd rather see it earlier like in the level 30-60 talent range. However, the point is that that talent effectively killed the Ranger as a possible class concept.

Deleted
    I'm a stronger supporter of Tinkerers and even Demon Hunters over either of these options.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    True, I'd rather see it earlier like in the level 30-60 talent range. However, the point is that that talent effectively killed the Ranger as a possible class concept.
    i think someone at blizzard said if the petless option works well enough it might be moved to a lower tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Bards were a bad April Fools joke, and should stay that way.
    Careful, you don't want all the anti-pandaren folks see you posting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnshadow View Post
    However, WoW doesn't have a support role, so a bard-like class would be difficult to implement. Even if you're giving the other DPS a boost to their output and reducing the enemy's effectiveness at the cost of doing much lower personal DPS, some idiot is still going to spam meters and try to get you kicked for being "bad." (Seriously, this is from someone who's seen healers kicked from groups for not doing enough DPS before, meter worshipers are idiots.)
    I think Blizzard would have an easier time making a support class than fixing the brand of stupid you note is already in the game.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DomesticViolence View Post
    I thought these might be cool Character Classes in World Of Warcraft.

I remember when Psionics were added to D&D and I was so excited when I got the Psionic's Handbook.

I think it adds an interesting flavor to the mix.

I think Bards could potentially be something really cool. Imagine if their weapons were varied? Different instruments had different graphical flares/properties when used. Maybe each spec uses a different set of instruments or songs. I thought it'd be cool if the Bard's music tied into whatever music was playing in the area you're in. It would be like another layer.

What do you all think about those options?
    I also remember that book...the 2nd edition one, right? Yeah, problem is, I remember 1st edition Psionics too. And I remember incidents that began with "okay, break out the cards," ... and 5 hours later ended with "...now round 1 of combat begins".

As long as psionics looked nothing at all like that, I'd be OK with it. I have absolutely no interest in a Bard, Tinker, Minstrel, or any other such ridiculous thing.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Deleted
    Technically I am one of those anti-pandaren folk. But what's done is done. All I can hope is Blizzard is at least competent enough to see the backlash created from the addition of such a joke, and never, ever repeat it.
    And here I thought that the Pandaren inclusion was widely praised and enjoyed by the majority.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I do think it would be cool to add a fourth dynamic to the game; (ie: pure support class like a Bard), I think it would imbalance the game for PVP. I do see it's potential in PVE. However, that might make it feel like a requirement and simply put, nobody wants that.

I voted "No".
    In the company of thieves, liars, beggars and whores
    I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    And here I thought that the Pandaren inclusion was widely praised and enjoyed by the majority.
    the joke was them being a playable race in WC3. which people actually like the idea.

Deleted
    'Content' =/= 'Widely praised'

The majority likely couldn't care less if they added walking sticks as a playable race. The two vocal minorities (For and Against) are about equal. But that's a discussion for another thread.
    Im just saying, the inclusion of what once was used - but not conceptualized, as they came before - as a joke was obviously succesful enough that there isn't a case for Blizzard not to repeat it. Pandaren turned out just fine, it's a solid playable race. The very vocal hate for the race died out fairly quickly.

Could be just the same with a bard class, if they conceptualized it well enough.

That said, not a supporter of the idea of a bard class and I hope we won't get one. Tinkerers sound way more awesome.

Deleted
    I wouldn't say it died. It comes up almost equally as often as the people who praise it.

That said, I'd love a spellbreaker/mage knight class above anything else, but I know it's unlikely to happen.
    Well, I can't talk for the majority as I only really persude this website but I felt that the overwhelming Pandaren hatred spiked around Blizzcon and slowly died out until it was virtually non-existent around release of the game.

Wasn't Death Knights, perhaps Unholy in particular, envisioned as a sort of spellbreaker class very early on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon View Post
    While I do think it would be cool to add a fourth dynamic to the game; (ie: pure support class like a Bard), I think it would imbalance the game for PVP. I do see it's potential in PVE. However, that might make it feel like a requirement and simply put, nobody wants that.

I voted "No".
    Yeah, the only way a 4th role works is if Blizzard spread the support role to other classes as well. Like making Mistweaver a support role, or adding a 4th spec to Monks that was called support. In theory it could work, but why bother? Support works fine as is with classes giving buffs to groups. Adding a support spec just seems totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Wasn't Death Knights, perhaps Unholy in particular, envisioned as a sort of spellbreaker class very early on?
    I know they originally had an ability that dealt damage through protective shields equal to the defense the shield would have provided. I was super stoked to try it on Kaelthas.

A spell breaker type class would be super cool, and there's plenty of ways to go with it, so I do hope one makes it into the game eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. Heck, I'd be glad to see a pie-eating clown class - anything but tinkers!
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.

As for psionics, no. We've got shadowpriests to do the mental stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I've always hated the bard. So there's an epic battle going on, warriors hold the enemy off in the front line, mages rain destruction from above, scorching bodies by dozens, clerics heal the wounded and resurrect the fallen... and then there's this fucker who just stands there playing a fucking lute. A "jack of all trades", who equally sucks at everything, irritating by his freaking music on the battlefield where everybody else is actually being productive.

As for psionics, no. We've got shadowpriests to do the mental stuff.
    Agreed. Bards are simply lame as hell. I also don't think sound-based DPS or Healing makes a whole lot of sense, or compelling gameplay. Just seems like another spellcaster.

I would love the Bard class added. I fell in love with my Bard in EQ and would jump at the chance to try one out in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I hated when Bards were played like that. I wasn't one of those kind of players. I couldn't see just standing there like that. So I would weave 3 (4 if I could manage it) songs and jump into the fight.

I really loved charming something and having it fight along side me.
    Last edited by Honeyprime; 2014-03-15 at 04:53 AM.
    Karma always has the last laugh.