Demon Hunter or Monk

Am currently playing a Wizard - Paragon level 18. Its pretty fun however am looking to switch it up a bit so I don't get burnt out.

Well am looking to main a Crusader when RoS goes live. However, was undecided on my next class - Demon Hunter or a Monk.

Am looking for a class that has good DPS and is efficient solo farming and amazing in groups.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    My first character was a monk and I loved her for a little while, but she's so boring any more. Compared to my Barbarian or my Wizard, she has very plain Run'N'Gun style that dries out very quickly to me. That said, it was fun at first and given moderation, I still play her from time to time. I would stick with a monk simply because I find melee characters more engaging than ranged.

Or just level up barb, keep all str gear and then send it all over to Crusader.
    eventually you'll end up with all characters leveled up to max anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    Am currently playing a Wizard - Paragon level 18. Its pretty fun however am looking to switch it up a bit so I don't get burnt out.

Well am looking to main a Crusader when RoS goes live. However, was undecided on my next class - Demon Hunter or a Monk.

Am looking for a class that has good DPS and is efficient solo farming and amazing in groups.
    I'd go with a Monk over a DH.

I have both lvl 60, P66 atm.

Reason is simple that a monk has a more stable resource pool than a DH does. DH is very binary. You are either full or you are starving for Hatred. Discipline is not as bad but there are dry periods as well.

DH's deal very well in situations where you can plow through enemies fast enough to get consistent health orbs (passive restores a good chunk of hatred when you eat an orb) that keep up your killing spree. Higher difficulty and you'll blow your pool then spend 5-15 seconds darting around and kiting to build up again for another 10 seconds or so of hatred spending. Additionally DH's don't have a high amount of burst unless you have really good gear. When you have hatred you'll do competitive damage, but the down time to build up hatred will leave you doing about 1/3 of your potential dps.

Monks are very much like a freight train, you get them going and it takes alot of effort to stop them. The play style is very measured though. You Start off and build up a small amount of Spirit to use a spender about once very 10 seconds, as your rotation gets going you'll up that to a spender every 8ish seconds, once you're fully into it and have plenty of stuff to kill around you, or accessible packs within 10 seconds apart so you don't lose momentum, you can start spending Spirit nearly at will and never have dry periods. For me burst doesn't appear as high as a the DH but sustained dps is about 60+% of your potential burst as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Raeph View Post
    I'd go with a Monk over a DH.

I have both lvl 60, P66 atm.

Reason is simple that a monk has a more stable resource pool than a DH does. DH is very binary. You are either full or you are starving for Hatred. Discipline is not as bad but there are dry periods as well.

DH's deal very well in situations where you can plow through enemies fast enough to get consistent health orbs (passive restores a good chunk of hatred when you eat an orb) that keep up your killing spree. Higher difficulty and you'll blow your pool then spend 5-15 seconds darting around and kiting to build up again for another 10 seconds or so of hatred spending. Additionally DH's don't have a high amount of burst unless you have really good gear. When you have hatred you'll do competitive damage, but the down time to build up hatred will leave you doing about 1/3 of your potential dps.

Monks are very much like a freight train, you get them going and it takes alot of effort to stop them. The play style is very measured though. You Start off and build up a small amount of Spirit to use a spender about once very 10 seconds, as your rotation gets going you'll up that to a spender every 8ish seconds, once you're fully into it and have plenty of stuff to kill around you, or accessible packs within 10 seconds apart so you don't lose momentum, you can start spending Spirit nearly at will and never have dry periods. For me burst doesn't appear as high as a the DH but sustained dps is about 60+% of your potential burst as well.
    Get some +Discipline gear and spec for Bat Companion and Punishment Preparation and, bam, you now have the ability to mostly refill your hatred 3 times in a row.

My experience is that Monks are terrible DPS and really slow going while soloing, but, properly geared, are excellent tanks and are able to completely destroy trash packs with Exploding Fist. I got my Monk up to 60, swapped in some of my Demon Hunter's old gear (and bought some new stuff) and was able to handle Torment 3 without issue in a group. Playing solo, though, I don't bother with anything beyond Torment 1 because bosses and elites take forever unless there's an abundance of trash to explode onto them.

Demon Hunters, however, have excellent DPS (I'm currently critting for 2.5-3 million with Loaded For Bear Cluster Arrow, of which I can toss out quite a few of with my hatred generating cooldowns), excellent survivability (since we mostly fight from range), and is very group/solo friendly.

OP: If you like grouping up, Monk is fine and very enjoyable. If you like solo play, Demon Hunter will be much more rewarding. If you like both equally, you can go either way. Monk, however, seems a little harder to play properly.

Finally, my experience might not be ordinary. It's quite possible that there are high DPS monk builds that I'm just not aware of.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

My monk got that angelic sword that gives +holy damage and procs an angel summon, switched to a holy build with Cyclone kick/SSS and as the holy Cyclone AoE is huge, can just run into areas and blow everything up, much fun

Looking to get +Holy Neck and Bracers to go with and let the horror commence :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Thanks folks for all your responses. Got to leveling a DH and I do have to say among the many annoying stuff, resource generation is probably the most annoying. It just sucks when you have to be auto spamming your primary or can't vault cause you low on Discipline. Am level 13 btw and its pretty frustrating. Was grouped with this Barb and I think he was even doing more damage than me. And I wasn't found of any of the skills I learnt till level 13. At least with the Wizard I had some fun spells early on but nothing really stood out with the DH.

I really wanted to like the class cause it is a pretty iconic class in Diablo 3 especially since they really had high hopes for it before the game went live and they really made a lot about the class.

I think I'll give Monks a shot.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say monk. Since you play a wiz now it would be a nice changed from ranged to melee
    Dont know about others but when made a DH after maxing my monk, I didnt have as much fun due to being used to damn near immortality. I died SOOOOO much because I was used to just shrugging off blows