Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I respect your opinion. Although I'm not quite sure how that analogy works. I'm sure my removable "anime"(?) signature on a world of Warcraft forum is comparable to a permanent real life image.

To be honest, my opinion/bias on tattoos doesn't really matter. I'm not sure why people would get so hostile about it.
    I think because it seems.... very arbitrary, and many people (not necessarily you) are very judgmental with their bias.

To me, you being biased against a person with a tattoo seems no different than you being biased against a person for owning a pickup truck, or for liking Harry Potter, or for playing WoW. Generally speaking, the fact that a person has a tattoo means nothing except that they have a tattoo.

(I am distinguishing here between a bias against a person with any tattoo, compared to a bias a person has against someone that has a particular tattoo they find offensive.)

Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's not. I like to think of Tattoos as T-Shirts. Some T-Shirts are vulgar and obscene and I judge people who wear those T-Shirts. Some T-shirts are colorful, nice, etc. Some people wear T-Shirts under a suit, and you'd never know there's a T-Shirt underneath.

I understand why some people are exceedingly harsh on tattoos, as they can be considered taboo.

As other people have mentioned, though, they're a form of self expresion. If you express your self, you should expect your self to be judged.

I'd say across the board, tattoos are considered less of a stigma, and the risks associated with them are diminishing. We're shifting, in general, from a mindset in which tattoos were seen as taboo as a whole, to a mindset in which not all tattoos are as bad as others.

Deleted
    Yea they a pretty mainstream nowadays. But unless you are like a Mouri still living a traditional life or you have already made it in life, don't get a fucking tattoo on your face.

As long as one is not over-tattooed. I am totally fine with tattoos.

I respect your opinion. Although I'm not quite sure how that analogy works. I'm sure my removable "anime"(?) signature on a world of Warcraft forum is comparable to a permanent real life image.

To be honest, my opinion/bias on tattoos doesn't really matter. I'm not sure why people would get so hostile about it.
    I think his point was that being judged for something you like or have is closed-minded. Yeah tattoos are a bit more permanent but they can be covered up, even removed over time if they are small enough (or surgery lol).

No one's opinion should really matter if its a tattoo someone really likes. Im sure he was just defending his position, saying you'll always have a bias toward people with tattoos sounds a bit close-minded.

But thats just my 2 cents
    "If the people who are trying to destroy this world aren't taking a day off, then why should I?"

-Bob Marley

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want tattoos, don't be shocked to be declined or overlooked when it comes to job interviews. People who get tattoos scream "I need everyones attention!" Especially those that get words tattooed. People don't do it for themselves, they get tattoos because they want attention... how can someone claim they got a tattoo for themselves when they don't look at it nearly enough as much as others do??? If I was hiring someone who had exposed tattoos, i'd probably thank him for coming in, but that the position wouldn't be available to him. Everyone has the right to do w/e the hell they want to their body, just don't expect everyone to accept you just because you wanted to put ink under your skin.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah tattoos aren't a big deal. I've got two and am planning on a third.

There are judgmental people but they're a dime a dozen (always something to bitch about). Distant yourself from them and life gets brighter

Didn't know there was a stigma associated with them other than in Japan.

I wanna be the villain of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    I think because it seems.... very arbitrary, and many people (not necessarily you) are very judgmental with their bias.

To me, you being biased against a person with a tattoo seems no different than you being biased against a person for owning a pickup truck, or for liking Harry Potter, or for playing WoW. Generally speaking, the fact that a person has a tattoo means nothing except that they have a tattoo.

(I am distinguishing here between a bias against a person with any tattoo, compared to a bias a person has against someone that has a particular tattoo they find offensive.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBanana View Post
    I think his point was that being judged for something you like or have is closed-minded. Yeah tattoos are a bit more permanent but they can be covered up, even removed over time if they are small enough (or surgery lol).

No one's opinion should really matter if its a tattoo someone really likes. Im sure he was just defending his position, saying you'll always have a bias toward people with tattoos sounds a bit close-minded.

But thats just my 2 cents
    I would never NEVER judge someone for what they like. Whether it be a certain type of music, certain TV show, a favorite sport, etc. It's their personal preference and I'd always respect that.

But for you to make a permanent life choice for that. I'm sorry, I don't follow the logic there. If it's a form of self expression, like said, or its something important to you, then I'm glad you have that important something. But for you to mark your body with it is stupid. I just don't see why someone would do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally like tattoos, but it really depends on the artistic value they hold and the possible meanings behind them. I don't care about the fact that it's printed on the body.

I don't have any of my own though and won't get one unless I have a good one in mind.

I also don't care as much about whether or not it can be covered up. If it looks nice to me I don't care if it's an entire sleeve or something. I have female friend with tattoos almost everywhere and I think it looks nice
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavol View Post
    There are judgmental people but they're a dime a dozen (always something to bitch about). Distant yourself from them and life gets brighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Some people are just negative. I tend to stay away from people like that as well.
    "People who don't like what I like are negative and life is better without them."

Yeah, that's some sound reasoning there.

I love a good tattoo. I don't have one myself, because I haven't quite found my idea artist/design combo yet.

I really only ever judge tattoos if they're just awful quality. You absolutely get what you pay for in this business. I'm sometimes just puzzled that people won't just wait for a little bit extra money to not go to a trashcan shop to get inked by an even worse artist.

Playing devils advocate here....

There are many things in life that would permanently change your body. For instance sports where you can cut your skin and leave a scar.

One is a decision for aesthetic changes, the other was an accident. But you made a decision to join the sport.

Personally, I think its weird to be so... I don't know... um... rigid... on something as minor as drawing something artistic on your skin.
    Yes, hehehe. I wanted someone to ask this.

A lot of things can permanently change someone's body. The most common being wounds. The difference, for me, between a scar from someone who chose to play football, and a tattoo, is that the person playing football wanted to play a sport and were ready to deal with the consequences, where the person who wanted a tattoo went into the tattoo parlor already having made the choice of changing their body permanently.*

*I say permanently, but of course there's laser tattoo removal. I'm not biased against the person because of the image on their body, I'm biased because they decided to get a tattoo in the first place.

Well, just being honest, if I saw someone with tattoo's I'd think "I probably need to keep an eye on that guy" just because of the work I do. If someone said they were into anime I'd think "This guy is crazy but probably not normally going to cause a problem, I NEED to keep an eye on that guy."
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

People that judge other people solely based on their cover, are in my opinion, negative.

I like people that make judgments after they get to really know someone.

Some of the best people I know have tattoos, and some of the worst people I know are clean shaven.
    Oh I agree. I'm not saying people with tattoos are bad. The only way to judge someone is by their individual person. But if that individual person has a tattoo, then I start out with a bias against them. That's all.

But for you to mark your body with it is stupid. I just don't see why someone would do it.
    Isn't it fair to say that just because you don't understand the reasoning behind someone else's motivation doesn't automatically make the decision stupid?

10+ Year Old Account
    As I've said in at least 3 other tattoo threads, I'll always hold bias against someone with a tattoo.
    That explains why you hate me so - I've got 5! I knew I hated you for a reason (now I'll just have to think of a real reason to back up my sarcastic landmine I just dropped).

Monsem - Shadow Priest / Halimath - Prot Paladin / Groundchuk - Elemental Shaman
    [/SIZE]

They are becoming less of a stigma, naturally, as the people unused to them moves on and the younger generation widely sporting them moves in.
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

For the longest time, I've been thinking of getting a stylistic japanese cherry blossom branch on my arm... Have not found one that I like 100%, so have not gotten it... but yeah, a really cool version, I might seriously consider getting. I do not have any tattoos at this point either.
    It's sort of my dream to get a tattoo from Xoil. But the amount of money it would cost to travel to him + the tattoo/his time itself would be just outrageous. But lord I love his work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I love a good tattoo. I don't have one myself, because I haven't quite found my idea artist/design combo yet.

I really only ever judge tattoos if they're just awful quality. You absolutely get what you pay for in this business. I'm sometimes just puzzled that people won't just wait for a little bit extra money to not go to a trashcan shop to get inked by an even worse artist.
    Because it's usually fresh 18 year olds who want to get a tattoo. If their parents don't approve, then they have to find a way to pay for it themselves and when a friend says they can do it for 50 bucks, they take the offer w/o thinking about the quality.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.