Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Brewmaster Gotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Zaltbommel - Netherlands
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I am a programmer, and I can tell you it isn't that hard. If they are able to implement new character models, they are capable of increasing the size of bags much easier.

    They have good reasons to not do so, though. For one it costs money, and they don't want to spend a cent if it doesn't gain them money.
    Since you're a programmer, do tell what they need to change?

    whats that? Youre not a Warcraft programmer? Guess that means you're just not as qualified on this matter then anyone else.

  2. #22
    I think, and I could be wrong, that the 16 slotter isn't even counted as like, a bag? It's like.. the bank almost. it's just.. space thats there.

    i dunno, It's not that big of a deal, but It would be nice if it was upgradable, even if you couldn't upgrade it as an item you know, like a cloth turn in or something

    turn in 300 x netherweave and it goes to 18 and so on and so forth.. till it gets to 28. making the top tier requirements cost a fair few of that tailor cloth.

    this could be doable through a quest

  3. #23
    Blademaster Grahamington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Eureka, MO
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I think, and I could be wrong, that the 16 slotter isn't even counted as like, a bag? It's like.. the bank almost. it's just.. space thats there.

    i dunno, It's not that big of a deal, but It would be nice if it was upgradable, even if you couldn't upgrade it as an item you know, like a cloth turn in or something

    turn in 300 x netherweave and it goes to 18 and so on and so forth.. till it gets to 28. making the top tier requirements cost a fair few of that tailor cloth.

    this could be doable through a quest
    That would also be a good idea, Probably not as hard as being able to replace it. Just allow you to spend X currency to upgrade a slot. 1,000G per extra slot?
    The wild women, The wild women...The rippin and the tearin..

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    Since you're a programmer, do tell what they need to change?

    whats that? Youre not a Warcraft programmer? Guess that means you're just not as qualified on this matter then anyone else.
    I am not a warcraft programmer and have not looked at the code. That said, if the old back is hardwired into the code could it be possible to make a system where the 16 slot hard baked bag becomes inaccessible and add a further slot for an extra one of the modular bags? I am not saying remove the 16 slot from the code they just hide it inelegantly. They removed key bags so it is not an impossible change. I really miss key bags.

  5. #25
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Really? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard.
    You can post the code on how to do it here in this thread. Just use around it, and we can have that forwarded to Blizzard's dev department.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  6. #26
    High Overlord DaveL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Galaxy MV4478-87, Vontos cluster, Alpha Prime
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    really miss key bags.
    How come you miss keyring while you do not have keys anymore? I mean the instance-specific keys, while, yeah there are "other" kind of keys wich in fact do not belong to the meaning being on the keyring "bag".

  7. #27
    Mechagnome Zenora's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In a van near you!
    Posts
    666
    Think they are redoing the bag system in WOD

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,686
    They have told everyone why. They have worked out how to do it but at the risk of to many people losing what ever they had in those bags. The WoW community is full of mad people and could you imagine how angry they would get if they lost what they had in there bags.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  9. #29
    Titan Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    11,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Why can we not remove our starting 16 slot starter bag?
    It's easy to allow to happen. Just set it up to where you HAVE to have another bag equipped to be allowed to replace your 16 slot.
    Sure, easy to have it replaced. Not so easy to preseve what is already stored in it. They didn't exactly program the game to still be alive a decade later, so in some places features are hardcoded. And this one, if messed up, could clear out the backpacks of 100 million players.

  10. #30
    Scarab Lord Frozen Death Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Forsaken Lands of Sweden
    Posts
    4,802
    They've stated in the past that the backpack is hard coded into the game, so if they try to change it can easily break the game, so even more coding will be required on top of that.

    Not always worth the hassle just to give you some extra space in that backpack. They've opted for other solutions to the storage problem instead, like making a toy box, mount and pet tabs, etc.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2014-03-14 at 11:45 PM.

  11. #31
    i dont even see the issue with bagspace. you have SOOOOO much these days.
    i never run out of bagspace and i have 2 full ofsets with me and about 2/3 of my bank filled with transmoggear.
    and still i have enough space to buy tons of mats for crafting.

    i dont know what crap you would ever want to carry all the time to fill 100+ bagslots all the time.
    it stoped being an issue with cata.
    the only thing that might fill up your bags is if you would want EVERY look for transmog, but that seems ridiculous.
    and to fix that bagspace"program" you need a system like in d3 where you unlock the looks but dont have to have the item.

  12. #32
    Couldnt they just increase the size instead of removing the bag? Seems more common sense to me

  13. #33
    Herald of the Titans zephid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnally86 View Post
    I am not a warcraft programmer and have not looked at the code. That said, if the old back is hardwired into the code could it be possible to make a system where the 16 slot hard baked bag becomes inaccessible and add a further slot for an extra one of the modular bags? I am not saying remove the 16 slot from the code they just hide it inelegantly. They removed key bags so it is not an impossible change. I really miss key bags.
    But the keyring/bag wasn't in the game from the beginning, so it probably wasn't coded the same way as the backpack.
    Last edited by zephid; 2014-03-15 at 12:13 AM.

  14. #34
    Epic! Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    Since you're a programmer, do tell what they need to change?

    whats that? Youre not a Warcraft programmer? Guess that means you're just not as qualified on this matter then anyone else.
    It shouldn't be too hard actually.

    Item storage's principle is most likely based upon an SQL like database, therefore (in theory) it would be really easy to backup the values in everyone's backpacks. Once a change is in place (hard-coding the value of the # of bag slots from 16 to let's say 32), or even replacing the original code with a dynamic slot (like the other backpacks) and reserving a flexible amount of fields in the database to reflect that, the values of the items could easily be set back in the new slots, or fields if you may.

    But personally I wouldn't change the backpack myself if I were Blizz, since the system may be dated, but it's not broken. Also with the changes coming to vanity items, possibly tabards and hopefully transmog as well, it just shouldn't be necessary.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    I am a programmer, and I can tell you it isn't that hard. If they are able to implement new character models, they are capable of increasing the size of bags much easier.

    They have good reasons to not do so, though. For one it costs money, and they don't want to spend a cent if it doesn't gain them money.
    Your need to make corporations an evil entity lacks substance and credibility, careful you have some ignorance on your face. This has nothing to do with money and everything to do with it being an ancient code that is one of the foundation stones of this game, messing with it could cause all kinds of havok including every character across the entire game loosing it's inventory items, and most likely everything in that first bag. 7 million customers with 1-20+ characters needing individual items restored is no laughing matter.

    You are a programmer? Are you a warcraft mmo programmer? Have you ever coded a MMO game that has nearly ten years worth of code? If not I would argue that you have no eff'n clue what you are talking about or even know what the process would entail.

    Your corporate greed conspiracies are just conspiracies and the reasons why they cant do it are the reasons why they can't do it. Blizzard has never been afraid to tell us that something is just not worth the cost of doing.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Detheavn View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard actually.

    Item storage's principle is most likely based upon an SQL like database, therefore (in theory) it would be really easy to backup the values in everyone's backpacks. Once a change is in place (hard-coding the value of the # of bag slots from 16 to let's say 32), or even replacing the original code with a dynamic slot (like the other backpacks) and reserving a flexible amount of fields in the database to reflect that, the values of the items could easily be set back in the new slots, or fields if you may.

    But personally I wouldn't change the backpack myself if I were Blizz, since the system may be dated, but it's not broken. Also with the changes coming to vanity items, possibly tabards and hopefully transmog as well, it just shouldn't be necessary.
    From what they've said so far, I think the other bags work like this while the backpack is actually part of your character information. From there, it's not hard to see why moving the items from that table to a new bag table could break some key links of your character data and you could not only lose what's in the backpack, but also additional information.
    English is not my first language, feel free to correct any mistake I may make.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    From what they've said so far, I think the other bags work like this while the backpack is actually part of your character information. From there, it's not hard to see why moving the items from that table to a new bag table could break some key links of your character data and you could not only lose what's in the backpack, but also additional information.
    I have done some SQL work, and I think you're right, one way or another the main backpack is definitely different in some way.

    Guild Charters are the only example I can think of where the main bag is treated inherently differently. At least way back when I used one (and assuming they're still in the game), they would flat out not work if you used it from any bag except your main backpack. You didn't get an error at the time either. I remember explaining that one to a lot of people in general chat.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    From what they've said so far, I think the other bags work like this while the backpack is actually part of your character information. From there, it's not hard to see why moving the items from that table to a new bag table could break some key links of your character data and you could not only lose what's in the backpack, but also additional information.
    It is tied to your character, alongside all your currencies and such. Everyone lost a lot of stuff the last time they tried messing with it. We may not know the specifics but it doesn't function as a typical storage entity does at the very least.

  19. #39
    Epic! Detheavn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The Nether .... lands
    Posts
    1,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    From what they've said so far, I think the other bags work like this while the backpack is actually part of your character information. From there, it's not hard to see why moving the items from that table to a new bag table could break some key links of your character data and you could not only lose what's in the backpack, but also additional information.
    Programming is about creativity and finding solutions where there are none

    If the hunter's melee weapon slots, as well as the warrior's range slot, the caster's wand slot and select classes' relic slots could be 'disabled'they could probably do the same for bags as well:

    Prevent the old backpack from storing new items -> create a 5th bag slot with a free netherweave bag -> move items from backpack to 5th bag -> make backpack inaccessible and unresponsive to 'open backpack' and 'open all bags' -> set 5th bag slot in backpack space visually.

    But like I said before, I don't see the added value of it with the oncoming changes

    Quote Originally Posted by greg098 View Post
    Couldnt they just increase the size instead of removing the bag? Seems more common sense to me
    The problem I see with increasing a bag which is hard coded is that there's most likely no fields set up in the database which would correspond to the increase of bag slots. Adding these 'manually' and code them in could probably be more of a hassle than completely overdoing the entire bag system as a whole.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    Really? Seems like it wouldn't be that hard.
    Really? tell me how much video game coding experience you have? specifically with the wow engine, clearly it just as easy as changing where it says 16 to be 32, right?

    /sarcasm
    Rejoice, For very bad things are about to happen...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •