Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The game changes and evolves, and if Blizzard makes insta level 90 an option because leveling to 100 is extremely daunting and intimidating for a new player, why not? It makes perfect sense.

Meh, they're entitled to change the way they run the game. They have solid reasoning for the 90 boost, trying to draw in returning players who just want to play endgame without slogging through the leveling content alone. I can't bring myself to care one way or another tbh.

I have to admit I am enjoying destroying the boosted 90s in BGs though, it's a lot of fun.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Herald of the Titans Kickbuttmario's Avatar
    Ooh interesting read. Well they said buying a power leveling service through gold but not buying a 90 through money...

Have no idea what to say against this.
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Currently playing WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Wildstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Disapproval Turtle View Post
    This should be posted on the official forums, lets see what blizz has to say for themselves.
    I don't want to get the guy who wrote it in trouble. Apparently he still works there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

There's a big difference between selling max level characters during vanilla and selling them in preparation for wod. The player base has shifted towards max level and getting players there so they can play with others is far more palatable than it has been. MMOs at their heart are about playing with other people and if that's the end goal then it's understandable for Blizzard to offer such a service.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    The game changes and evolves, and if Blizzard makes insta level 90 an option because leveling to 100 is extremely daunting and intimidating for a new player, why not? It makes perfect sense.
    *In the future when blizzard starts selling gear* The game changes and evolves, and if blizzard makes insta geared 120 an option because max gearing characters is extremely daunting and intimidating for a new player, why not? It makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by carlos5577; 2014-03-16 at 03:25 AM.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

I just tried to actually click the link, and he opens it by saying "I've never liked the "because we say so" answer, so I will try to provide what insight I can. Though please note that I cannot speak for our management, legal or marketing or really any of our departments on a whole."

Is it not a bit misleading to call this Blizzard's stance on power leveling?
    Belief can become reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I just tried to actually click the link, and he opens it by saying "I've never liked the "because we say so" answer, so I will try to provide what insight I can. Though please note that I cannot speak for our management, legal or marketing or really any of our departments on a whole."

Is it not a bit misleading to call this Blizzard's stance on power leveling?
    Oh man, I've linked their legal documentation here too. Where they say bots are harmful to the game because, among other things, they allow a player to gain experience without playing the game. That can speak for the legal department, no?
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...8#post25922108

Plus, who cares what the legal department or the marketing department think? Those type of stiff suits ruin games. They clearly think it's a good idea because we're having this conversation right now. They don't care about game-play, they want money. He says "we" throughout his post. He's not talking about him and his friend Mark in the cubicle next to him. He's talking about a general attitude in the company.

It's also representative of the entire company's previous stance and we all know it. I challenge you to find any statements, official or unofficial, prefaced by a disclaimer or not, coming from Blizzard in any capacity, saying that jumping straight to max level by any means doesn't hurt the integrity of the game and the game's environment. This man represents that company when he posts, and he was clearly talking about a general attitude in the company among it's employees. However, I've linked other, more official documentation that I've found, I encourage you to read more of this discussion. And I'm still looking.

Also, from their official exploitation policy...

Use of these "bots" negatively affects the World of Warcraft game environment, since they allow characters to progress without player control.
    https://eu.battle.net/support/en/art...itation-policy

TLDR Find me one word from Blizzard in any capacity that says power leveling is nbd. Or selling accounts. Or any means of getting to cap without deserving it.
    Last edited by Randec; 2014-03-16 at 04:15 AM.
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

"Blizzard is only doing this to boost sub numbers!"

I guess you guys want a dead game then?

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    "Blizzard is only doing this to boost sub numbers!"

I guess you guys want a dead game then?
    I never said that. Who did?

I think if anything the number of subs will go down from this. Blizzard is doing this to boost their bank accounts.

Nothing new here.

Blizzard's stance on buying in-game items with real money was that they were against it, until they were for it because they could make money off of it by the RMAH.

Blizzard's stance on power-leveling was that they were against it, until they were for it because they could make money off if it by a $60 microtransaction.

Blizzard's appeal to core values and philosophies (which the OP and others quoted) are all lies and bullshit.

They would sell heroic raid loot if they think they can make money

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    This is a weak argument for blizzard basically doing a 180 over what they called integrity.
    Boosting one toon to what very soon isn't the level cap is not the same as having a 3rd party power level as many toons as you want them to. Both are bad imo, but neither are a service I would use, in that light I don't care much what people do with their money/time.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Boosting one toon to what very soon isn't the level cap is not the same as having a 3rd party power level as many toons as you want them to. Both are bad imo, but neither are a service I would use, in that light I don't care much what people do with their money/time.
    They are effectively the same.

Boosting one toon to what very soon isn't the level cap is not the same as having a 3rd party power level as many toons as you want them to.
    6+ months is not very soon, you can boost as many characters as you'd like.

Both are bad imo, but neither are a service I would use, in that light I don't care much what people do with their money/time.
    I care what Blizzard does with my money. I care about what I do with my time.

I remember when that was posted was like good job but I knew eventually with the casual game that was happening with MOP that it would eventually lead to this. RIP good times in wow. Its a business though and they want to make more money so their doing what they think will help them get the most $$$ but it might turn out negative impact in the end who knows.
    4-3-14 - RIP iconic class abilities since vanilla and RIP wow subs. The day millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.
    6.0 Patch notes
    Fun- has been removed

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    6+ months is not very soon, you can boost as many characters as you'd like.

I care what Blizzard does with my money. I care about what I do with my time.
    This option doesn't change how they spend your time or money. 6+ months isn't soon I guess, the expansion is old and pretty much over though, nothing new is coming out and the current stuff is several months old. As of right now you can boost one toon per account so there is a limit. Depending on the feedback and blowback from this I am sure they will certainly look at letting people pay the $60 that was place marked for a character boost someday.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

I never got why people try to defend Blizzard's recent cash-grabbing direction even when such blatantly obvious contradictions are presented. It's like witnessing indocrination. I love their games, but that doesn't mean they don't screw up every now and then.

(meaning someone plays the character for you)
    Buying a 90 is not someone playing the character for you. Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Nothing new here.

Blizzard's stance on buying in-game items with real money was that they were against it, until they were for it because they could make money off of it by the RMAH.

Blizzard's stance on power-leveling was that they were against it, until they were for it because they could make money off if it by a $60 microtransaction.

Blizzard's appeal to core values and philosophies (which the OP and others quoted) are all lies and bullshit.

They would sell heroic raid loot if they think they can make money
    All these services are there to counter ones that people are already using, I'm not sure why people are surprised this is just effectively cutting out 3rd party companies more and more and making things safer for players.
    Last edited by Treeskee; 2014-03-16 at 05:02 AM.

The above is a link to a Blue Post from a Blizzard rep. explaining how skipping content in this fashion ruins the game.
    It is not marketing department.

Right now blizz don't like to blue post, instead posts are made by PR department.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolkien View Post
    I never got why people try to defend Blizzard's recent cash-grabbing direction even when such blatantly obvious contradictions are presented. It's like witnessing indocrination. I love their games, but that doesn't mean they don't screw up every now and then.
    Blizzard's loyal fanbase and Blizzard themselves have been, to a point, galvanized by a lot of very harsh and unwarranted criticism over the years. People don't take criticism of the company's actions seriously anymore because it's been so unnecessarily vitriolic in the past.

This time, however, the outrage is justified in my opinion.