Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    False.
    Read my signature.
    Titan will be a success no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    "Nothing sells better then sex, and if it does, it's made by Blizzard." - D2D™

Quote Originally Posted by Manhands View Post
    At first you sounded knowledgeable, and your revenue 'numbers' upheld your point. Then I did some research. Even at 7.5M subscriptions at $15 (ignoring EU's €13 ~ $17.5), WoW makes $1.35B a year from the subscriptions. Add in the cash shop? Well, let me actually provide some links:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...des_2-6-14.pdf
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gra.../1100-6417498/

Looking at Q4, all of Take-Two (which owns Rockstar, I guess) generated $767.7M. Blizzard generated $4.5B. Just from subscriptions alone in WoW, it generated $338M. How much would that be if you included the cash shop and realm transfer/race changes? $400M? $500M?

So while a non-MMO like GTAV had a huge spike of over $1B in a weekend and is now generating a bit of revenue from releasing on new platforms, that will die out and they will need to start spending the $200M to create GTA VI. How many years will that take? Meanwhile, WoW will be generating its $100M+ every month in that entire stretch.

To your point that Take-Two, a $767M/quarter company (which was a record for them), can buy Blizzard, a $4.5B/quarter company, is completely wrong. You got a bit starry-eyed at the $1B over a weekend.

Um, yeah, so I guess parroting the revenue numbers was to debunk the idea that Take-Two can buy Blizzard. I also felt like writing it down somewhere after doing the research.

It doesn't actually answer the question as to whether subscriptions can work for a new game. Is it that the subscription model no longer works? Or is it that every new game that charges a subscription gets compared to WoW, the giant in that market, and falls short? Given that the subscription initially worked for SWTOR, I bet it's the latter.
    My word, where to start?

Half, maybe more, of WOW subscribers are based in China that do not pay a monthly subscription fee but instead pay per minute with time cards which results in a much lower revenue figure per account than western subs.

The link you provided shows Activision Blizzard's total revenue not Blizzard. Also the $4.5 billion is ATVI's YEARLY revenue not quarterly. I have no idea where you got the figure of $338 million for WOW's subscription revenue from as it appears nowhere in either of your links. The actual figures for WOW in Q4 were $198 million which includes the cash shop as as well as any box sales.

The article relating to Take Two estimates there total yearly revenue at $2.35+ billion which is over double that of Blizzard's 2013 total of $1.124 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    Does a great MMO need to charge for the original game, all the expansions, a subscription and have a cash shop?

What exactly do you get for your subscription? Blizzard says it's mainly customer support. I've paid a $15 dollar sub for almost a decade, that's well over a thousand dollars. I got ahold of a GM in game once, and lately I had to call and wait for 20 minutes on hold (on my cell). Those are the only 2 times I've really needed customer support. Well, besides tickets I canceled because they were taking waaaaay too long to go through.

Let me put it simply and be very frank with you. Your money and mine is lining people's pockets and being reinvested into other projects which you'll be charged for when they're released. That's right, they'll take your money and use it to develop all these new games, and then charge you again for them when they're released. That's why you pay a sub. So Blizzard can release a game in every genre, dominate the market, and monopolize the business.
    ^This!

You'd have to be pretty damn naive to think your subscription fee's are going to anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    GTA V -snip-
    I must be a minority but I thought GTA V was terrible and a waste of money. I also despair at the number of youths who play games like that and will no doubt try to emulate such nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by MissMin View Post
    I must be a minority but I thought GTA V was terrible and a waste of money. I also despair at the number of youths who play games like that and will no doubt try to emulate such nonsense.
    Yes I agree, I would much rather them come in WoW and kill 10 of this and 5 of that daily and the numerous "bring me the head of ...." Isn't GTA V an adult game and not to be sold to minors?

Quote Originally Posted by MissMin View Post
    yeah i would say you are the minority since. GTA V won game of the year.
    i havent played it but i do want to find out why people like it so much.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Zanjin/simple horde main
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...2#post25856782
    Coming soon Expansion ideas: Age of N'zoth, Assault on Agrus.

Nope. WoW is on top because it found that virgin territory of casual MMO gamers and gobbled it up ASAP, and remained king of the hill by keeping a standard of quality in a small market. That market has since grown far beyond Blizzard's ability to control, and their attempts to please as many types of gamers as possible have only slowed the inevitable sub loss. More and more people are gravitating away for different styles of MMO, different kinds of games entirely. Eventually, that height in the market will diminish like a mountain slowly dug down and spread around evenly in the surrounding flatland.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    yeah i would say you are the minority since. GTA V won game of the year.
    i havent played it but i do want to find out why people like it so much.
    Yea and Call of Duty has won multiple game of the year awards. I bet you also think Bioshock Infinite has a marvelous story that is simply 2deep4me to understand.

Awards mean jack shit.

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    False.
    Read my signature.
    Titan will be a success no matter what.
    Assuming it doesn't go the way of Starcraft: Ghost.
    "If you have to believe it on faith, you have no reason to believe it at all.” Aron Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Tyfrax View Post
    Yea and Call of Duty has won multiple game of the year awards. I bet you also think Bioshock Infinite has a marvelous story that is simply 2deep4me to understand.

Awards mean jack shit.
    You can also add the many games that aren't even released yet that get "Best X of the year" awards at conventions.