Deleted

Power supply noises

Hey,

I recently bought a EVGA 650w Supernova PSU as recommended by members on here, PSU was great, for 1 day, then it started making a sort of "fizzy drink bubble popping noise". I ruled it down to coil whine, but this was one of the reasons I have wanted to replace my previous PSU (before it actually died) anyway, so I put an RMA in last week, they e-mailed me back and said the unit was faulty and they had sent me a replacement. Have now been using this new PSU for 2 days, and this morning, i turn my PC on to be delighted with exactly the same noises as before. I tried recording the "bubbling" noise with my phone and tablet but both can't seem to pick it up. I would RMA it again, but now i'm without a PSU completely if I do that and it took them over a week to get it back to me.

Is this really coil whine? or is it something else? I know coil whine isn't really dangerous, it's just an annoyance.

Before you boot your PC, just put a pencil between the fan blades and boot the system. Might be the fan.

The manufacturers of their psu's are mainly crap except the ones such as the 1300G2/1000G2/1000P2/850G2 & 750G2 the ones that are made by superflower which is atm the best psu manufacturer.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Before you boot your PC, just put a pencil between the fan blades and boot the system. Might be the fan.

The manufacturers of their psu's are mainly crap except the ones such as the 1300G2/1000G2/1000P2/850G2 & 750G2 the ones that are made by superflower which is atm the best psu manufacturer.
    Will try this next time i boot, but if it was the fan, wouldn't it be all the time? there doesn't seem to any pattern to it, sometimes its really loud and constantly making the noise, other times it's not making a peep, like when posting this, all I can hear is the fan on it. That said, I'm going to probably RMA it and ask them what was up with the previous one, hopefully they did some tests on it before deeming it faulty and shipping me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
    Will try this next time i boot, but if it was the fan, wouldn't it be all the time? there doesn't seem to any pattern to it, sometimes its really loud and constantly making the noise, other times it's not making a peep, like when posting this, all I can hear is the fan on it. That said, I'm going to probably RMA it and ask them what was up with the previous one, hopefully they did some tests on it before deeming it faulty and shipping me a new one.
    I doubt you can even load your psu to 350W tbh so the fanspeeds are just variating between lets say 600-700rpm so you're not going to notice the difference.

Can't you just ask for them to trade your psu in for the 750G2 and pay the difference between the 2 models?
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D