WoW: longest living Blizzard game without a sequel, or is one in the works?

It took 12 years for Starcraft 2 to get a sequel (Brood Wars excluded, it was just an expansion).

World of Warcraft is still one of Blizzard's most profitable games, generating more cash/year than all of Diablo 3's sales and probably more than any gaming company makes in a year, maybe EA excluded.

Think Blizzard would be considering recreating in in a new engine with new graphics and everything, or are they laying all their future MMO creative effort into Titan?

WoW is 10 years old now, in 2 years it will be the longest living Blizzard game without a sequel (no, it won't be dead in 2 years).

World of Warcraft IS a sequel...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    World of Warcraft IS a sequel...
    /thread

It is a sequel and all the expansions are pretty much wow2,3,4,5 and now 6 is coming

Monk Shaman

I had a bowl of nails for breakfast......without any milk.

In terms of game engine, in which case it would be 13 years old since it was based off the Warcraft 3 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cafua View Post
    /thread

It is a sequel and all the expansions are pretty much wow2,3,4,5 and now 6 is coming
    Technically, no. WoW is very much not a sequel, in the same way that Civilization V is a sequel to Civilization IV, but Civilization V: Brave New World is not a sequel to Civilization V but an expansion pack.

titan is going to be free to play and is in development hell.

also mmo sequels always turn out badly. they divide the original playerbase between two different games and rarely end up with much growth, essentially doubling your costs

guild wars 2 is the only mmo sequel that really turned out somewhat well and from what i heard most guild wars 1 players disliked it.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    titan is going to be free to play and is in development hell.

also mmo sequels always turn out badly. they divide the original playerbase between two different games and rarely end up with much growth, essentially doubling your costs

guild wars 2 is the only mmo sequel that really turned out somewhat well and from what i heard most guild wars 1 players disliked it.
    You make good points.

I don't want to leave azeroth to go to another world.... I like to think "Titan" is a codename for World of Warcraft 2

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why give something a sequel when it doesn't need one? I'm not big on lore, but I understand there is still a ton of storyline left to include in the game, along with some stuff that is improvised along the way. These expansions are just continuing the story.

pretty sure blizzard said cataclysm was basically wow 2 as the remade the whole lvling experience except for tbc and wrath parts which are short, also blizzard has improved wow's engine a lot since 04 and wc3 *it's base engine*

new models coming soon prove this even further, as they are highly detailed and up to date imo with current standards *for the cartoony look* *look at wild star* and swtor is kinda similar as a mixed stylized/realism

although i would not mind have sliders if possible(boob slider nuff said every game with sliders has one), and more 3d armor and not skin armor

Deleted
    This bitch aint never heard of Rock and Roll racing. Or lost vikings. Or Blackthorne

Quote Originally Posted by Cafua View Post
    /thread

An expansion is not a sequel, it's an expansion upon the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    An expansion is not a sequel, it's an expansion upon the game.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel
    A sequel (also known as follow-up) is a narrative, documental, or other work of literature, film, theatre, television, music, or game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work.

Every WoW expansion so far have expanded both the digital world where we can play, but also the story and narrative, or lore, of WoW.
    That's why we have different time periods for Outlands, Northrend, Post-Cataclysm Azeroth, and finally Pandaria, the most recent continent added.
    It's a sequel.