Tip for winning random bgs

I have been noticing a lot of people complaining about "horde/alliance losing all the time."
    Truth is that both sides are fairly even as far as win ratio goes and it is pretty easy to win a higher % of your games

So I just wanted to give a tip to those that are new to the pvp scene, I know for others this may seem obvious.

Basically never bg alone. If you are planning on doing some bgs make the attempt to find others to join you.

If you are a healer look for a dps, if you are a dps look for a healer. Having more two+ people working together in random
    bgs really does usually make a major difference.

If you are on a dead server and cannot find someone to join you, you could always use the addon oqueue and create a
    premade.

Another thing I like doing is during bg's try to notice the players that are playing well. Send them a whisper asking if they would like to queue up with you again after.

Doing this usually will get you a group of 5 people fairly quickly

thats basically it, just wanted to throw that out there for those who may not realize how easy it is to form pick up groups for bgs.

Reroll onto a different server
    Wait for realm connections

Other than that, the only really good way at attempting to assure a victory in a random BG is to que with competent friends.

To be honest I play horde and I feel like horde wins all the time. Some bgs are closer and there are losing streaks especially doing the holiday BG as better alliance teams seem to gravitate toward it.

On the other hand, even though I do not like sota, I don't think I have even come close to losing one since they changed it. I think a lot of allies are blocking it since they can afford to leave IoC and AV unblocked. Or maybe it is just because now you actually need to pvp to win and alliance seems to only be good at pve bgs.

Best tip for winning random bgs: reroll/faction change to horde. I recently did this with my free boosted 90 and there is a HUGE difference. I couldn't even manage to get my alli characters geared without getting bored from the constant losses and being forced to farm justice points and convert it to honor, it's so much more fun as horde. Also, according to that win/loss graph on this site a few weeks(months?) ago, the ratios aren't close to even, especially when you block IOC and AV from your queue.

roll horde and block av/ioc and you pretty much win majority of your games

if your ally, ur better off doing bgs every ~2weeks when the 40m bgs are cta if you q alone

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing Horde is probably the best tip there is Everyone on Horde blocks AV/IoC and win most of the rest in honesty. However last night I did have a seven win streak on Alliance, although to be honest most the teams were bots and I got a couple of perfections ^^ Did two on Horde, one with 12/15 Alliance boosted characters based on appearence/HP values, second team looked average but they almost got five capped from the start. Both near perfections as well. Almost every BG I played last night was massive victories one way or another.

But yeah, as Alliance you're much more likely to be GY Camped in WSG/TP than as Horde.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

I play mainly Horde and have 1 Alliance. From my experience horde discusses what they will do more than alliance. Also it seems like every alliance strategy is run to the middle of the map and attack things.

Seems like losses in randoms are usually do to players just going kill crazy and not going for the objectives. So going with a premade group you will have 5 people that hopefully will go for the objectives.

A little tip for fun some things that dont work in rated play do work in randoms. Flasks/Potions depending on your end game it can be great fun to run into a group of 5 pop your CD's use a potion and just wreck things.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the best tips for winning a BG is to play a healer. If you're an average player and KNOW how to survive on your own as a healer while still healing your allies, you will win many more BGs than playing DPS. If you really can't play a healer, then try out a BG spec for your class and just annihilate everything you can. Pop DPS cds on healers/strong DPS like hunters/boomkins/ele shamans/mages.

But most important of all.. ASSIST THOSE IN NEED OF HELP. I'm not talking about simply going to a base to help it out. I'm talking about helping players out if they're in trouble. Do you see a hunter at 40% hp and you can off-heal? Heal that mofo. See a warrior being kited by a mage? Give him that freedom or CC the mage so the warr can get to him. Is someone being ganked by a horde of Horde? Life grip his ass.

No joke. Being a supportive player WILL make you win more frequently. Not to mention, it will make you a better player.

Why not give helpful advice instead of spouting 'reroll horde'. It doesn't instantly make you a better player. Having toons on both sides it's much closer to 50% than people care to admit. I've seen Horde go on terrible losing streaks as much as alliance have. The best advice as people say is run with friends. Make friends on this forum & official forums. Exchange battletags and play with them. I've made so many friends this way since my RL buddies no longer play. Now I have people to regularly BG with and Arena with. The cross-realm grouping thing was huge.

I'll start it off by mentioning basic strats per BG.

WSG

-Intercepting the offense
    While people condemn playing in mid, there's a reasonable way to do it in WSG. Have some high burst classes intercept the alliance rush (not in mid) but near the horde base so you can bottleneck them and mass cc them. Take out what looks like the FC and/or healer (you can make a reasonable assumption as to who it maybe from the start). Doing so, your deaths will not be in vain as they'll have fewer people up front and if you do it in time they'll miss the res timer and have a 30s wait.

Meanwhile, your team is already at mid with your flag.

-Bait & switch
    More ideally suited for the second cap or if base defense is already established. You have a slippery class (rogue or mage as e.g.) take the flag and bait the defenders to chasing them one direction. Meanwhile the real FC & support wait on the balcony and take the flag the other direction as soon as the bait is dead and flag has returned. One or more of the support can also mass cc/stall the returning team.

That's all for now. Hopefully people will add more helpful advice rather than whine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post

A little tip for fun some things that dont work in rated play do work in randoms. Flasks/Potions depending on your end game it can be great fun to run into a group of 5 pop your CD's use a potion and just wreck things.
    This is excellent advice. The most fun thing about random bg's is that anything goes. Use every advantage you can from random, unpredictable items in the world. Engineering is a blast to use in randoms. Use nets as a tailor. Use noggenfrogger religiously to become smaller. Use ANY advantage you can and above all, have a blast doing it. You win so much more when you end up having fun at the same time.

My fav engi bg story was back when warlocks were running soul link/siphon life and were quite op. We (horde) were tied 2-2 (no timers back then i think?) and our FC was in our base and enemy FC was almost at tunnel, very low health, no healers with around 4/5 alliance dps around him. So I have my MC engi hat on, my friends around me die while trying to kill the EFC. I dismount and MC the pally EFC - back then when you used MC on a human they automatically acted as your minion so you could actually soul link them.

The alliance dps lay into me and luckily I was at full HP, so by the time I'm around 25% hp the pally dies from the Soul linked damage, I cap the flag and we win.
    Best. game. ever.
    Last edited by gestapo; 2014-03-17 at 06:50 AM.

In some battlegroups there is most certainly a difference between the factions, as much as some will try to deny it.
    I have seen a vast difference when it comes to the organisation and willingness to actually play.
    As alliance I see constant ganking and humping of the meters.
    You tell people NOT to do something, and as much as half the team will do just and then use the numbers on the scoreboard at the end to justify their superiority even when we lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    If you are forced into solo q's for randoms, try and get people talking, and by that I don't mean "Do this" "Cap that". Try and use encouraging words, ask for calls, call incs etc if you manage to get 2 or 3 people to communicate it makes a huge difference. Try and avoid QQing even when someone has done the dumbest thing ever ( normally me btw)

You wont always win but it can make a huge difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    To be honest, the best tips for winning a BG is to play a healer. If you're an average player and KNOW how to survive on your own as a healer while still healing your allies, you will win many more BGs than playing DPS. If you really can't play a healer, then try out a BG spec for your class and just annihilate everything you can. Pop DPS cds on healers/strong DPS like hunters/boomkins/ele shamans/mages.

But most important of all.. ASSIST THOSE IN NEED OF HELP. I'm not talking about simply going to a base to help it out. I'm talking about helping players out if they're in trouble. Do you see a hunter at 40% hp and you can off-heal? Heal that mofo. See a warrior being kited by a mage? Give him that freedom or CC the mage so the warr can get to him. Is someone being ganked by a horde of Horde? Life grip his ass.

No joke. Being a supportive player WILL make you win more frequently. Not to mention, it will make you a better player.
    I completely agree with Emfg here, being a supportive player will make you win more frequently. I'm not a great PVPer or even that decent but I easily win more random BGs as a healer then I do as a DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Playing a healer can really make a difference. Even a crap geared healer can tip the scales especially when the others seem to be tunneling someone quite often and nto switching targets, letting you free heal.

I often say hello when entering, and do some basic tactics spam, like "fight at flags, dps please defend, call incs". I don't expect miracles from this, but sometimes it lures other people out of silence and someone might suggest "I'll go BS" and others might join in.

When someone calls incs, respond. Especially when you're a healer. If someone yells "Stables inc" you reply "omw". This gives that lone DPS defending the stables the opportunity to play defensive and when you arrive and manage to heal them back up, usually their will to play properly skyrockets.

It's not only a numbers game, it's also psychological. If you lose a base once in AB, and you have someone immediately replying "ok we lost, let them win" it's an almost guaranteed lose. However if you have an active team, it really can make a huge difference.

If you set an example by calling incs, sometimes you have others doing the same.
    Warlock (SL main)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't give a shit about random bg's. I play to kill people and so does 70% of the people in random bg's. Honestly, I've never understood the point in trying to win battlegrounds when the match is decided before it even begins. Whichever team usually starts off with the lead, stays in the lead because everyone on the losing team already senses defeat.

The best thing to do is to find a Hunter, DK, Warrior and Ret Paladin from trade while playing a Rogue and just fucking run around mindlessly and glass shitty healers. Everything is tunnel vision, no room for using a brain is required.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your tip for winning random bgs is forming a premade so you can overpower the none premade?...

I hear if you bring a machine gun to a knife fight you are more likely to win as well : /

10+ Year Old Account
    It's fun to just faceroll random people in a battleground environment. That is why trade pugs are fun if you get decent people. Fuck people who solo queue, I shouldn't have to hinder my fun to appease them.

I don't want any real competition or else it'll expose how bad I actually am. No, I'd rather run around in a pack of mindless idiots and act all great for stomping scrubs who have no idea what is even happening to them.