"Hotw too strong in pvp"- say non-druids

The general consensus seems to be that Hotw is too strong. Granted Moonkin healing is strong, but Feral losing viable means of casting cyclone means that Hotw will have to stay because of how squishy we are.

I think one problem right now is that CC'ing the druid during this powerful cooldown doesn't do much because it lasts so long. However, what if the duration and cooldown of Hotw was halved? This gives the opponent better chances to be smart about cc'ing the druid, and also gives the druid access to this powerful CD more often.

Halving the CD and duration of hotw would only make it even more broken.

Any suggestions?

Deleted
    Since one of the current ramifications of HotW is that it currently doesn't make you use 100% of your PvP power, it's going to get a pretty big buff automatically come WoD. It's going to need some major changes to not remain too strong.

Reducing CD and duration might be a solution for MoP, but if so, duration should probably be reduced more than the CD.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it right now, as I know a few of us believe HotW has the potential of changing in WoD. The main driving factor probably has to do with raiding, even though it would trickle down into PvP, too. It all depends how Blizz will treat HotW from the perspective of reducing raid CDs and dampening healing from non-healer spec roles (the damage/tanking portion is probably pretty safe at this point).

However, that's viewing the ability in a vacuum, and combined with all the other changes that may come in WoD maybe change how we view HotW in the future.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Noxiye View Post
    Since one of the current ramifications of HotW is that it currently doesn't make you use 100% of your PvP power, it's going to get a pretty big buff automatically come WoD. It's going to need some major changes to not remain too strong.

Reducing CD and duration might be a solution for MoP, but if so, duration should probably be reduced more than the CD.
    Sorry, having a slow day so not really following you here on the WoD changes. Could you explain?

As far as reduced duration, anything below 20s would be too short simply because you can get cc'd through it. Unless it becomes as powerful as you say it might.

yeah great idea, add a huge PVE nerf to balance PVP, better to nerf it's pvp strength, like they are already doing, instead of making it useless in PVE

it's healing has been nerfed, check 5.4.7 patch notes, as of playing I noticed it's now 50% less effective
    it's cd of 6 min and duratation of 30 sec is way it balanced, it is something like a mini-healing-heroism for druids

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    it's healing has been nerfed, check 5.4.7 patch notes, as of playing I noticed it's now 50% less effective
    it's cd of 6 min and duratation of 30 sec is way it balanced, it is something like a mini-healing-heroism for druids
    If this is the case, can't we get a cooldown reduction, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    yeah great idea, add a huge PVE nerf to balance PVP, better to nerf it's pvp strength, like they are already doing, instead of making it useless in PVE
    Eh, tired of pve nerfing pvp for so many classes so I really don't care, but looks like we won't have to worry about that either way.

Problem with reducing the cd on it, is that it will end up being something you can pop all the time. Even if it was "only" 20 seconds and a 3 mins cd, it would be far stronger than it is now. Meaning you had a fullblown counter to big nuke, or your healer being in a long CC chain.
    If they made it into a glyph, that halved the cd it would probably give pvp feral a last, completely set-in-stone glyph.

The 50% nerf was done to the damage-dealing part only.
    About the healing to it, it was from 120% pvp power to 100%, and probably amounts to around same healing amount, at full prideful gear, as we had at the end of last season.

Edit:
    If they should make it usefull in pve, they should make the bearform be a real tank, and not just 20% less damage taken, from the armor. It's really lackluster and you can't really tank anything outside of lfr for more than a few seconds.
    Last edited by Terridon; 2014-03-15 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added percentage
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Quote Originally Posted by theburned View Post
    Honestly if your DPS Druids have to use HotW to heal their raid then the healers are not doing a very good job. Yes technically it would be a nerf, but really the problem would be your healers, not the nerf.

As for ideas to change it, just needs a healing reduction for DPS. The healing version is fine, they give up healing in order to do damage, the damage is noticeable, but not completely insane. The problem lies with the DPS giving up almost nothing to do a ton of healing. Just a Rejuv on all 3 people for the entire duration from a Moonkin is a handful of globals and it does a crazy amount of healing. Maybe make it work only on Healing Touch and Tranquility. Still gives them a big team heal in Tranq, and also spam heals with Healing Touch, but they have to give up damage to do it. Currently there's basically no downside to healing during HotW since it's basically all Rejuv and instant anyway.

The self heals aren't really a problem, it's their ability to keep teammates up almost as good as a healer. If they had to stop DPSing in order to do that it would be fine I think, but being able to continue almost as normal only losing a few globals over 45 seconds and heal for a ton makes it way too strong of a team wide defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    Honestly if your DPS Druids have to use HotW to heal their raid then the healers are not doing a very good job. Yes technically it would be a nerf, but really the problem would be your healers, not the nerf.

It's one the weakest PvE raid cooldowns so unless they are getting rid of everybody's raid cooldows then no. However I think there was some discussion that Blizzard may do that. On one hand I think that its probably better for balance but it's another case of dumbing down the game which there has already been too much of.

Druids right now are below average in almost all forms of pvp and people are complaining about a long CD...

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Druids right now are below average in almost all forms of pvp and people are complaining about a long CD...
    This did baffle me, and led me to create this thread to see how others felt. What's even more mind boggling is that I don't think Feral's need a lot of buffs, it's just that the strong classes are way too strong and it creates an infinite arms race. Look at Warriors and Mages and what it does to melee uptime/root breaks and casting.

I'm glad they're bringing back casting, hopefully for dps as well and not only healing. Warriors sitting in defensive for 25% DR is obscene. If things like that get toned down it will be better for the overall health of the game.