Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Will Russia inspire China to follow suit?

With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors, Russians recent actions in Crimea could potentially influence other desires.

The conflict between China and Taiwan has been well known, public, and close for a long time now. If Russia does succeed as it looks very likely, do you think this could spell trouble for Taiwan? Going down the dominoes, what about South Korea or Japan?

Please remember, this isn't the first time Russia has pushed the boundaries. Russia already did their dance with Georgia will little reprisal. If this concludes it will be the second mark setting a trend in which the USA has been unable to "keep in check" the other side of the world.

So, do you think China would also try their hand to "reclaim" territory?

10+ Year Old Account
    On-topic: my thoughts are already with the victims.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors, Russians recent actions in Crimea could potentially influence other desires.

The conflict between China and Taiwan has been well known, public, and close for a long time now. If Russia does succeed as it looks very likely, do you think this could spell trouble for Taiwan? Going down the dominoes, what about South Korea or Japan?

Please remember, this isn't the first time Russia has pushed the boundaries. Russia already did their dance with Georgia will little reprisal. If this concludes it will be the second mark setting a trend in which the USA has been unable to "keep in check" the other side of the world.

Considering that China authorities have responded outright negatively about recent happenings in Crimea - it seems unlikely. Of course, words are only words.

And Japan and South Korea? Both countries are very wealthy, developed and civilized, I don't see anything like that happening at all. For me, it's a bit like asking whether USA decides to incorporate Canada.

Given your assertion is based on opinion "With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors..." I don't see the relevance.

Also like Spray said, South Korea and Japan aren't Ukraine or Crimea. They are both legitimate global economic powers.

Only if China unnesccarly wants to start WWIII
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Considering that China authorities have responded outright negatively about recent happenings in Crimea - it seems unlikely. Of course, words are only words.

And Japan and South Korea? Both countries are very wealthy, developed and civilized, I don't see anything like that happening at all. For me, it's a bit like asking whether USA decides to incorporate Canada.
    I agree with your statement about Canada. On the other had, I'm unaware of any long standing grudge match between the USA and Canada outside of Hokey. Also, I would imagine Taiwan would be first which would put the other two on edge and create a very tense region. (not like it's always easy to begin with.)

They will never touch Japan and South Korea, if they give them contra. Taiwan? Maybe, but I doubt it, the political echo would be immense and in contrary to Russia, they don't want to attract attention and rather stay neutral. If anything I can see them expanding towards Russia, since Russia is rather isolated, but even that's unlikely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by echoSAW View Post
    Given your assertion is based on opinion "With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors..." I don't see the relevance.

Also like Spray said, South Korea and Japan aren't Ukraine or Crimea. They are both legitimate global economic powers.
    I think you need to look beyond personal inference in that statement. We, as in the USA, have suffered quite a bit of weakening due to the long engagements into Iraq and Afghanistan. In the process of those engagements, we've shown that we are vastly weakened Economically and Militarily where responses are questioned. We've been unable to "reasonably" respond or show "authority" on several other matters and fronts.

What most people fail to understand is that the "superiority" of the United States Military isn't post WWII anymore when what we really compete on is Global Economics. China and Russia control a substantial amount of control over resources and goods. What the typical American mindset hasn't let go of is that bombs answer problems. That's what has been showed in the middle east.

Deleted

Crimea has a large (forgot % but I believe 90%?) percentage of russians. Taiwan does not have anything near it.

Whatever makes you think Japan and S-Korea, 2 highly developed countries would butt heads with china to a point of invasion leaves me very confused. Any one attacking them 2 would have most of the UN to back them up.

At the end of the day Crimea will vote for whatever they want. I don't see it as russia taking over. People really are abusing this anti-russian attitude. State goes to near civil war, russia intervenes, and all of a sudden they are the big bad wolves. Ironically, 0 other countries bothered to intervene. The only issue I've got is the lack of communication from the russians.
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2014-03-16 at 08:23 PM.

Deleted
    How exactly has the US Military failed lately?

With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors
    wat.

10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though China never acknowledged Taiwan as a nation, the majority of the world does. In the case of Crimea, the majority of the population was Russian which pretty much solves the issues with the people there. They want to be a part of Russia so who cares really. In the case of Taiwan, they would call themselves Taiwanese so this would never go well with the population there. In any case, this isn't likely to happen at all.

China invading Taiwan, Japan or South-Korea is pretty much the same as Sweden claiming Norway and Finland and for desert Denmark too. The Crimea situation can't be applied to China or many other countries tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    Crimea has a large (forgot % but I believe 90%?) percentage of russians. Taiwan does not have anything near it.

Whatever makes you think Japan and S-Korea would butt heads leaves me very confused.
    I don't think that it would be Japan vs SK more that NK and China have decent political ties and have been itching to go south to re-unify the country for a long time.

China does have a HUGE bone to pick with Japan. It's an extreme to believe that it would go that far, but 1 giant ball'd move usually leads to another.

The China vs Taiwan thing doesn't seem like it would be imminent, but it does seem as if given the Economical pull China has they could just as easily pull a Russia with Taiwan. Given the last 14 years, I don't know if anyone would really stand up and shout beyond some bs from the UN. The USA stance over the last few years has either been "We can't afford to do anything" or "We don't have real money there so we don't care."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Terrorism is still alive and kicking. Iraq and Afghanistan are no better then before we invaded so we might have not failed but they are not victorious. Osama Bin Laden is dead but Al Qaeda is still very much alive and thriving.

10+ Year Old Account
    The China vs Taiwan thing doesn't seem like it would be imminent, but it does seem as if given the Economical pull China has they could just as easily pull a Russia with Taiwan. Given the last 14 years, I don't know if anyone would really stand up and shout beyond some bs from the UN. The USA stance over the last few years has either been "We can't afford to do anything" or "We don't have real money there so we don't care."
    What are you even basing this one? All you seem to do so far is guessing with your biased opinion. You seem to have no clue that Crimea does not equal Taiwan. Pulling in countries like Japan and South-Korea proves that too.

With the United States completely obliterated on the Global Front due to 12 years of failing Military endeavors
    Our military isn't obliterated if anything there's more people wanting to join than there are funds for so...in reality if China wanted to invade Taiwan which probably won't happen, being Japan will back Taiwan and USA will back Japan simply not gonna happen. Unless..China has a world wide death wish and wants another World War over a small territory highly unlikely though they're not dumb they know what would happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Terrorism is still alive and kicking. Iraq and Afghanistan are no better then before we invaded so we might have not failed but they are not victorious. Osama Bin Laden is dead but Al Qaeda is still very much alive and thriving.
    Both Countries had their standing Militaries wiped out, their Governments deposed and puppets put in place, and almost every major AQ leader has been captured or killed. Recruitment in AQ has been so difficult due to the high mortality they are forced to hire illiterate peasants from places like Pakistan in order to boost their numbers, the only military success they have is placing IEDs that often kill more civilians than foreign military forces.

Call that what you like, but to me it seems like Al Qaeda got the shitty end of the deal. The US Military succeeded in their role, the diplomats fucked it up for not having a plan for what to do afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post

It didnt. And I am not even american to defend them. Their presidents (acctually bush) is who failed the military sending them to places they shouldnt be. Perhaps if it wasnt for the Iraq mess we would see USA helping out to clean the comunists rampaging in South America. If nothing is done soon it will be too late for us down here

Having the full south america dominated by comunists (most governements in here are acctually formed by former terrorists) is more serious than anything happening in the rest of the world (for USA). Well this was kinda off topic but i think it was worth commenting. Maybe we can get a topic about this someday.
    English is not my main language so grammar errors might happen.

Our elected leadership got us here, and it will have to dig us out. Obama is a horrid leader at home and abroad.