Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Misconceptions you had when you started playing

I remember starting to play warlock because my friend old me "they could summon everyone else to themselves". I thought that would be anytime, anywhere, including in combat and not recquiring assistance. Also I remember my friend telling me he would boost me in instances and I asked him "wtf does boosting in instances mean" and he said something similar to "we go to caves, I kill monsters and it rains xp". I thought xp would drop from caves like minerals or something and I had to pick it up.

I can't really think of anything big enough to mention, honestly. For me, most misunderstandings were small and minor. Quirky things with how spells actually worked over assumptions, that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClixxHeals View Post
    I thought xp would drop from caves like minerals or something and I had to pick it up.
    I miss games like that. I think Seiken Densetsu III did that.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

A guy talked me into that you have to jump off a high place where you can die from falling off to unlock flight form as a druid. He said that while falling I had to spam space and it had a chance to unlock flight form. I jumped, fell to my death, corpse-ran, jumped again, rince repeat for nearly an hour. Then a guy whisped me asking what the hell I was doing.

"Ill just play this game for a few weeks while I'm on leave and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground."

-Dec 2004.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    A guy talked me into that you have to jump off a high place where you can die from falling off to unlock flight form as a druid. He said that while falling I had to spam space and it had a chance to unlock flight form. I jumped, fell to my death, corpse-ran, jumped again, rince repeat for nearly an hour. Then a guy whisped me asking what the hell I was doing.
    Im sorry but this is just amazing. Hahahahahaha.

I was always under the impression (back in vanilla, I was like 10 mind you), that it didn't really matter what specc you were, that you could pull off any specc in order to be a DPS. So here I am, level 60 troll priest, holy, running around in AV smiting dem Alliances changing the camera from all angles being all like, "woot, so cool, troll smiting", would get raped in seconds, not heal anyone, including myself and see so much rage on the AV chat about some "nab troll".

It didn't matter ofc, I was wearing Robes of Insight, I looked smokan hawt, looked dashing smiting my foes even if i did die many, many, many times!

Always ignoring my brother's advice of "You should really go shadow, you'll do loads more damage..."
    "NO I WON'T, I DO ENOUGH DAMAGE AS I AM NOW THANKS. I DON'T WANT TO BE SHADOW AND BE A BADDIE, I USE THE LIGHT! SMITE SMITE!"

My brother was told that if you carried multiple rabbits feet in your inventory then you have a better chance of better items dropping.

Deleted
    I was like 10 back when I started in vanilla and my 10 year old self would probably facepalm from some of the stuff in here, sorry

I remember receiving the game box from my brother, who had received it for free during a work thing where there were Blizzard employees. Anyway, he wasn't into games but I picked it up from his shelf and took it home. I remember reading the little game manual inside it and visiting the website before installing it. I was super excited to roll a night elf mage, but upon logging in I discovered this was not possible, so I decided to go for a night elf druid instead.

Another thing I remember from my first playing experience in Teldrassil was seeing a night elf priest casting Smite on mobs and me bugging him about where I could learn to cast that spell because it looked awesome. He ignored me and it wasn't until much later that I discoverd how the whole class/spell system worked. I think I even discovered I could learn to cast Moonfire at the trainer like 5 levels passed the minimum required.

I'm pretty sure I thought that there was no level cap, and that players could just level forever, it just got harder and harder. As a hunter, I also wore gear based on how much armor it had, and wasted my money on companion pets that I couldn't actually afford arrows, and got myself stuck in a hobo hunter loop.

No money -> No arrows
    No arrows -> Have to melee
    Have to melee -> die a lot
    die a lot -> Have to repair
    Have to repair -> No money

Obviously, I couldn't afford to use flightpaths too. My hearthstone was set to Ashenvale, and I was grinding mobs in Thousand Needles. Every time I had to repair I had to run back up Barrens, repair, then run back down to grind harpies. I don't think Ratchet ever crossed my mind.

Though spending so much time in Ashenvale and the Barrens allowed me to participate in quite a lot of Crossroads raids, which was fun.
    You just lost The Game

I believed that the pvp rules were the rules for a pve server, and that pvp servers were free for alls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DGoldschmidt87 View Post
    My brother was told that if you carried multiple rabbits feet in your inventory then you have a better chance of better items dropping.
    Heh, I thought the lucky charms you pick pocketed off of ogres did that.

Deleted
    I thought Warlocks and Mages were the same class, except that Warlocks could summon pets and Mages conjure food.

I didn't know world bosses had long reset timers. Back in Vanilla WoW I heard of this new blue dragon that appeared in Azshara with the recent patch. The top guild had brought him down that night and was already boasting, so I wanted to take a shot at dragon slaying (the guild I was running was trying hard to usurp them from the #1 spot) I got all of my guild together, a bunch of friends and allied guilds and we stormed Azshara ready to bring down Azuregos!

....it didn't take long before my army grew restless and dispersed. "You didn't know there was a rest timer?" I was so embarrassed.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    I had the usual of not choosing a spec until late 40s, playing a rogue with a bow wondering why i didnt have any spells to use with the bow, then rolling a paladin and thinking i'd be able to tank some raids cause hey, heavy armor, right? I was wrong up until late bc when paladins were not only the "masters of trash" anymore.

Also, I was still a noob to an extent in bc, and I remember being awestruck by a mage aoe farming mobs... It looked so amazing and when i rolled a mage i realized it actually required some form of awareness instead of just blizzard blizzard blizzard.

I was a sad panda that day. These days the game offers no secrets anymore because I have all classes at 90 and I consider myself good at all specs, roles and classes.

I remember my first dwarf warrior and how I was totally clueless with it. Best memory is when around level 25-ish I ventured to Lakeshire and saw a shiny set of white-quality mail armor being sold by a vendor. It looked awesome for me back then, with those silvery scales, I was sure it's like the best gear for me and I have to get it. But, I was poor as shit. I grinded some gnolls/orcs for a long time just to get enough silver for a set of items that didn't increase a single of my stats other than armor.

Good times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    "Ill just play this game for a few weeks while I'm on leave and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground."

-Dec 2004.
    LOL yes. "It'll be good to kill *a little* time with."

for some reason I used to think sitting would increase your health / mana regeneration after a fight, so I would always sit after fighting a mob. I also thought all stats were useful for all classes, so my human warlock was using an agility staff and had strength on his cloak and the like.

always wondered what the point of hunters having bows and crossbows when they could use guns. guns are obviously stronger in every regard right? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Only thing that sticks out to me is equipping a rare quality BoE +3 defense ring on my Mage at about level 20 because I didn't understand how the defense stat worked. That was probably December of 2004.

Did the old Rogue poison class quest, which at the end of the quest, nails you with a poison that debuffed you and lasted for days (forget exactly how many).

Kept questing for those days, having a tough time out of every fight, and had my share of corpse runs.

My Rogue was a Dwarf...

15+ Year Old Account
    I rolled a hunter because I had been told I could tame a pet of my choice. I thought that meant any pet, tried to tame a deer in Ashenvale, felt gypped.

Sig by Isilrien