Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is 540 enough for a resto shaman to start SoO normal?

Is 540 enough for a resto shaman to start SoO normal?

10+ Year Old Account
    Far as I know it's enough for anyone. At least that's what I hear. Wing one anyways.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    It's overkill, unless you're only raiding with pugs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did a 25m Normal the other day, and 20 of the raiders were 510-530 and more than half never had been into SoO on Flex let alone Normal and we cleared 2 bosses with a couple wipes, anything is possible if people learn the mechanics.

(problem was communication for rest wasn't good enough aka people not jumping on vent or having dbm atleast)

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes

At this point it's probably a fair bit lower than most raiders, but the average ilvl was lower than 540 when the tier started.
    Just be aware that you need to use proper tactics, and not the zerg-tactics that a lot of people are doing in normal now due to overgearing it, unless of course the rest of your raid group is already in SoO gear.

Deleted
    We started with a 530 holy paladin and a 535 disc in SoO and cleared 11/14 the first week as super casuals. So yeah, if that crappy clicker paladin we had in our guild could do it, so can you, trust me.

He literally opened his spell book and clicked a spell he didn't have on his action bars, we even recorded it from his stream. If you're not THAT bad, you won't have any trouble as long as the other people in the group aren't really bad.

520ish is enough, the people that ask for like 550-560 are one of three things - 1) People looking to get boosted 2) People trying to just get a quick run to gear off specs etc (which is the only reason you'd go with that ilvl anyway seeing you outgear it) and 3) Dipfucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    522 was what dropped the previous tier for normal. 535 was Heroic ToT...so 540 is technically over gearing normal SoO. The fights were designed for people between 522 and 540~

Once you're wearing mostly gear that drops from the content you're doing, you outgear it.

Quote Originally Posted by -Raer- View Post
    522 was what dropped the previous tier for normal. 535 was Heroic ToT...so 540 is technically over gearing normal SoO. The fights were designed for people between 522 and 540~

Once you're wearing mostly gear that drops from the content you're doing, you outgear it.
    Many people were already nearing 550 from ToT HTF gear so that's not exactly a good baseline to judge from. It's exceptionally difficult to kill Garrosh with an entire raid under 545. Fights later in the instance are designed for people who have gear from that instance. We entered SoO with an average item level around 530-532 and Garrosh was a mean bastard until we were around 550.

A 540 geared character should be doing about the first three quarters of SoO, going beyond that requires getting carried or exceptional skill.

So, yes, at 540 you can and should be working on progressing through SoO, but you're not really appropriately geared to be fighting Garrosh and may have trouble finding groups willing to take you that far.

Deleted
    Yes OP, with 540 item level you can easily roast through up to half the instance on heroic will hardly any issues so it's more than enough to do normal with.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    540 is waaay enough. I started raiding as a MW monk in about 610 gear. It was far enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Funked View Post
    540 is waaay enough. I started raiding as a MW monk in about 610 gear. It was far enough for me.
    you mean 510

10+ Year Old Account
    520 is enough tbh if you got team that know how to play and execute tactics.

As long as you have your mandatory legendary cloak that every guild wants then they'll start you at like 520. If you don't have your cloak then good luck finding a guild or a pug that will take you if you aren't 550+.
    If you ever wonder how dumb people really are then consider this: even in the golden age of smart heals dumb people still find ways to die.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is it enough if you're in a guild group? Certainly.

Are you gonna get picked up for the average trade chat pug? No.

Deleted
    SoO normal is designed around an ilvl of 522, which is the ilvl of the previous raid on normal.
    if you have this, the first bosses should be easy enough, though later ones are harder too deal with.
    since those are designed to be harder, but along the way you will be able too pick up new gear. so it shouldnt prove that hard.

the biggest problem never was gear, but the execution of an encounter.
    if you can execute the encounter properly you can easily clear half of the raid while being undergeared, later on it might be a slight problem due too certain dps thresholds that need to be reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup 540 will be fine. Especially as resto shamans are OP, I play one.

Deleted
    We had a RShaman join us yesterday at 539. He doesn't even have the Legendary Gem but is keeping up quite good. If you know your spells and movement, you're good to go!

The only issue we're having with this, is that our Enhancement doesn't have dibs on offspec gear anymore... I guess we'll survive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adhemar View Post
    Many people were already nearing 550 from ToT HTF gear so that's not exactly a good baseline to judge from. It's exceptionally difficult to kill Garrosh with an entire raid under 545. Fights later in the instance are designed for people who have gear from that instance. We entered SoO with an average item level around 530-532 and Garrosh was a mean bastard until we were around 550.

A 540 geared character should be doing about the first three quarters of SoO, going beyond that requires getting carried or exceptional skill.

So, yes, at 540 you can and should be working on progressing through SoO, but you're not really appropriately geared to be fighting Garrosh and may have trouble finding groups willing to take you that far.
    If you had 550, you shouldn't have had a problem with any of the fights in SoO normal. Skillwise, there could be problems, but gearwise 540 is more than enough. I suppose I forget that because my guild did it, it doesn't mean that every guild did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guild first entered SoO with an average of 532 ilvl all across the raid. We made it through normal pretty fast. Normal isn't hard, just require you to follow tactics and mechanics.
    Fog the Proven Assailant
    <The Internet People>
    Stormrage EU
    Stream Twitter WeakAuras - discontinued