Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Field Marshal kriimsilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    80

    Dragon Roar or Shockwave?

    I am just starting to tank on my warrior who i have played only as Fury for 7 years now.
    I like Death Knight tanking and i thought id finally try tanking on warrior, too.

    I looked at some talent builds and saw that most or even all that i saw had chosen Dragon Roar over Shockwave.

    My logic tells me that the Shockwave with stun is better for tanking, but maybe im just wrong.

    Am I?

  2. #2
    Mostly its abour DPS , DR for Singletarget SW for AoE

  3. #3
    Shockwave is pretty much the be all and end all of tanking talents. Brilliant stun, good source of damage and the CD reduction and 3+ targets is solid as well. I wouldn't even look at the other talents when it comes to tanking really, though I'm sure others would disagree.

  4. #4
    Bloodsail Admiral Tucci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,037
    I haven't tanked in forever but it's probably shockwave for stunnable mobs, dragon roar for bosses/single target. I just got this addon for challenge modes called Quick Talents. You should look into it. 1 click talent change, don't even have to open your talent window, it's sick.
    i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz | GTX 670 SLI OC | 8gb DDR3 1600 | ASRock P67 Extreme4 | X-Fi Platinum | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Corsair TX650 | LG M2762D-PM 27" 1080p | Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 | CM Stacker STC-T01 | Razer Naga/Logitech MX-518 | Noppoo Choc Mini Cherry MX Red | Logitech G330/Audio-Technica ATH-M50

  5. #5
    Moderator eddytheone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Darzhan View Post
    Shockwave is pretty much the be all and end all of tanking talents. Brilliant stun, good source of damage and the CD reduction and 3+ targets is solid as well. I wouldn't even look at the other talents when it comes to tanking really, though I'm sure others would disagree.
    For CM's and when undergeared in 5 man content it can be useful... however for the vast majority of fights there simply is no need for Shockwave. Its damage is vastly inferior to DR or indeed Bladestorm. Since the first week of MoP I haven't ever specced into shockwave, it just simply isn't good for raiding and a significant DPS loss to take it

  6. #6
    Don't take shockwave. If its mostly single target use DR. If you can hit more than one target with BS everytime its up, take BS. Don't take SW.

    Of course I've only done a few heroics, so I'm not sure about the rest of heroics. But for all normal fights, don't take SW.

  7. #7
    Pit Lord Odina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Darzhan View Post
    Shockwave is pretty much the be all and end all of tanking talents. Brilliant stun, good source of damage and the CD reduction and 3+ targets is solid as well. I wouldn't even look at the other talents when it comes to tanking really, though I'm sure others would disagree.
    Depends on what you are tanking tbh! I can see it for 5 man's, CM, an maybe scen but as far as raiding goes DR+ BB is a pretty damn potent combo and SW is next to useless unless you have adds you just must absolutely stun (only thing I can really think of is slime adds on shamans).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Odina View Post
    Depends on what you are tanking tbh! I can see it for 5 man's, CM, an maybe scen but as far as raiding goes DR+ BB is a pretty damn potent combo and SW is next to useless unless you have adds you just must absolutely stun (only thing I can really think of is slime adds on shamans).
    Crawler Mines on Siegecrafter are another good use for Shockwave.

  9. #9
    I see a lot of people mentionning Shockwave for CMs.
    Running for gold, I can see Shockwave being useful. If you're going for anything harder, Bladestorm is the way to go.
    Even for gold, I'm not sure the stun make up for the lost dps, except if you don't have better aoe stuns in your group (DK, Sham, etc).
    Warrior soloing spreadsheet.

    Ittle Dew (Any%): 12:13
    Super Meat Boy (Any%): 21:50

  10. #10
    I really only find use for SW on Sha and Galk these days. Mostly run DR for the rest of the bosses due to the DPS and single target aspects of each fight.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Senen View Post
    I see a lot of people mentionning Shockwave for CMs.
    Running for gold, I can see Shockwave being useful. If you're going for anything harder, Bladestorm is the way to go.
    Even for gold, I'm not sure the stun make up for the lost dps, except if you don't have better aoe stuns in your group (DK, Sham, etc).
    I haven't really been paying attention to realm fastest times but I'd be surprised if they're still being challenged at this point in the expansion.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    For CM's and when undergeared in 5 man content it can be useful... however for the vast majority of fights there simply is no need for Shockwave. Its damage is vastly inferior to DR or indeed Bladestorm. Since the first week of MoP I haven't ever specced into shockwave, it just simply isn't good for raiding and a significant DPS loss to take it
    You'll be using Shockwave when/if you reach Heroic Garrosh

  13. #13
    Moderator eddytheone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    You'll be using Shockwave when/if you reach Heroic Garrosh
    You may want to check peoples progress before embarrassing yourself publicly :P I've been killing HC Garrosh for 18 weeks and never once used shockwave, it simply isn't necessary.

    While progressing it is far superior to take Bladestorm for quick MC breaks / Fear immunity in terrace. Once you feel confident, it's a single target gain to take DR for the single target burns and still breaks the MC's very nicely and is actually useful in the last phase. When entering the terrace phase just run all the way to the top dodging the zones and once you get there pop a zerker rage, ask a kind priest to put a fear ward on you after it expires. By this time all the adds should be dead and there is no need to take Bladestorm any more = )

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    You may want to check peoples progress before embarrassing yourself publicly :P I've been killing HC Garrosh for 18 weeks and never once used shockwave, it simply isn't necessary.
    You may want to check what talents the best prot warriors in the world are using, before you embarrass yourself ;P

    Your raid is carrying you if you don't take shockwave as a prot warrior on Heroic Garrosh. I'm guessing your guild doesn't trust you to do important stuns at key times, hence you can just faceroll using DR or Bladestorm.

    From being able to stop the adds in P1 transition from casting with a shockwave, followed by disrupting shout, being able to stun the MC's when needed (if you don't have many BE's or other warriors for Disrupting rotation), stunning p2 transition adds, to being able to help your brewmaster control the minion adds.

    The best prot warriors in the world, including method's prot warriors, continue to use Shockwave to this day. I'm sure you'll make a lengthy reply that you know more than Method does, which I'll ignore and no longer continue to indulge such foolish opinions.

    -Infracted, please keep it civil-
    Last edited by eddytheone; 2014-03-20 at 04:05 AM.

  15. #15
    Moderator eddytheone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,051
    For the benefit of other people reading the thread, I'll give a response because I believe the information is valuable to people progressing on HC Garrosh;

    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    You may want to check what talents the best prot warriors in the world are using, before you embarrass yourself ;P
    Yes I'm using DR / Bladestorm

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

    Your raid is carrying you if you don't take shockwave as a prot warrior on Heroic Garrosh. I'm guessing your guild doesn't trust you to do important stuns at key times, hence you can just faceroll using DR or Bladestorm.
    Shockwave is a significant DPS loss, means that people can single target Garrosh more as rather ironically, you yourself end up carrying the DPS on the adds and in general overall. They may trust me or not, I don't really care about that... the fact is that we run with 2 monks and 3 warlocks who are more than happy to do it :P

  16. #16
    Ok guys, first, calm down.

    Then, quoting "this top guild player does that" has never been a good argument in itself. You need context, you need reasons, etc. Yes, it is interesting to look at what other warriors do, but it's wrong to assume that because Sco does something, it's the only way to proceed. Especially when Sco has shown he didn't care at all since they've killed Garrosh HM, he basically kept his gear unmodified for weeks with a very debatable optimization because who cares, progress is over.

    Finally, I'm not raiding in 25-man (nor did I try Garrosh HM), but I would expect the 10-man/25-man difference to justify Eddy's opinion. Like, if your raid needs so badly that you nerf your dps for a cc while there are tons of cc available in a 25-man environment, maybe there are way to improve your strat. I may be wrong on that (again, haven't done the fight), but I have trouble to imagine a 25-man raid not able to cc five groups of adds consistently.
    Warrior soloing spreadsheet.

    Ittle Dew (Any%): 12:13
    Super Meat Boy (Any%): 21:50

  17. #17
    Moderator eddytheone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

    From being able to stop the adds in P1 transition from casting with a shockwave, followed by disrupting shout, being able to stun the MC's when needed (if you don't have many BE's or other warriors for Disrupting rotation), stunning p2 transition adds, to being able to help your brewmaster control the minion adds.
    Once you have enough DPS holy paladins blinding light + brewmasters breath with the glyph is more than enough to interrupt them and the DPS off BS or DR becomes more beneficial

  18. #18
    Field Marshal kriimsilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    80
    The funny thing is that I just started to tank on my warrior. First did some normal 5-mans.
    Then tried heroic 5-mans. And never tanked a raid, but you all automatically started to talk about 25-man Garrosh HC.

    And I`m like, khmm, ee... what?
    I may never tank that. lol.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kriimsilm View Post
    The funny thing is that I just started to tank on my warrior. First did some normal 5-mans.
    Then tried heroic 5-mans. And never tanked a raid, but you all automatically started to talk about 25-man Garrosh HC.

    And I`m like, khmm, ee... what?
    I may never tank that. lol.
    Your original post was quite vague, at your current level of play it doesn't really matter at all what you pick its all just faceroll.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by kriimsilm View Post
    The funny thing is that I just started to tank on my warrior. First did some normal 5-mans.
    Then tried heroic 5-mans. And never tanked a raid, but you all automatically started to talk about 25-man Garrosh HC.

    And I`m like, khmm, ee... what?
    I may never tank that. lol.
    Your first post wasn't really clear on whether you're about to tank dungeons, LFR, Flex, etc.
    You got several answers to your question anyway (basically, the question should be "Dragon Roar or Bladestorm", not "Dragon Roar of Shockwave" ^^) so there's no reason not to extend your question and debate on some of the hardest content.
    Warrior soloing spreadsheet.

    Ittle Dew (Any%): 12:13
    Super Meat Boy (Any%): 21:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •