Deleted

Best difficulty for a new lvl 1 Wizard to get to lvl 60 fast?

Played a bit at the start of D3 and came back now to lvl a Wizard before RoS.

Should I complete act 1-4 on normal difficulty first or is it possible to switch to a higher difficulty directly / after some time?

If a higher difficulty is possible would it be faster than normal?

I don't have gold or a higher lvl character to support my new Wizard.

If you can pick master or torment I. You should be level 60 before you finished act 2. The beginning may be hard or tedious (because the mobs scale faster then you get gear), but you should level in no time after you find/craft gear.

I did CotA runs on master, switching to Expert if I went a few levels with no upgrades, back to master when I had some nice drops. Took me a few hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

I found playing on hard to be exactly the same as normal difficulty but gave more XP and if you get a nice weapon and can go expert mode I'd recommend it. I tend to level on master/t1 myself but I have a high level character to feed some gear to my low levels. If your finding it too easy you can always exit game and change difficulty and if your playing non-hardcore you can lower the difficulty within the game too. I wouldn't bother with normal as the XP you get from hard/expert is so much better

Deleted
    if your 'new' as in no gear in your storage for you to use, Start on normal, try a higher difficulty, if its too hard then turn it down, no point trying to start out a torment 1 with no gear at all, its slow as hell.

You can easily get through the game on Expert with no previous gear or gold. If you are a somewhat skilled player, you can do Master. Just run through the quests. I usually hit 60 about halfway through Act 2.

That said, if you have friends that are geared, they can boost you in T6. I am decently gear and boosted two friends at the same time (80% XP bonus). It took less than two hours.

Well to be honest, I leveled my witch doctor in 3 hours from 1-60 playing on Torment 1, and got to level 60 before even reaching Maghda in act II, but the problem is that I had to support this char with some shiny items from the auction house every 10 levels.

I also have the hellfire ring, which is OP at low levels plus it gives you bonus XP.

The thing is, you can play torment one really easily if you're a new player, but the issue however is that it is not efficient for you as a new player, because it takes a lot of time to kill the mobs if you do not have good gear, and the elites will probably give you a hard time, especially the fast ones if you lack the gear.

So if you want my advice, just play the game on master difficulty. And if you feel master is a bit tough for you, you can always downgrade it to expert.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LummyBear View Post
    if your 'new' as in no gear in your storage for you to use, Start on normal, try a higher difficulty, if its too hard then turn it down, no point trying to start out a torment 1 with no gear at all, its slow as hell.
    I had zero gear for my Wiz when I started her after 2.0.1 and honestly Normal was a joke. Hard/Expert/Master were actually better.

Generally I stuck with Hard on the characters I made in 2.0. I reached ~55 each time at the end of Act IV. Then I grouped for Master the remaining levels.

Hard is just so much quicker of a play through versus expert/master/torment that it felt better. (btw the xp difference between hard and expert is negligible versus the increased time to kill mobs, so you're better skipping it in most situations)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm currently lvling a monk with a friend on expert, using only gear that we find/craft, and we got to 30 so far and we haven't even beat the butcher yet. So I would say expert could be the fallback difficulty if master/torment is too hard to lvl and you'll still get decent xp. The only challenge we encountered in expert is the occasional elite that has a nasty affix like molten or frozen, but with proper positioning and potions we haven't died once so far.

Just play OP. I recently casualy lvl'd a Wizard to try out the new lvling inn about 6 hours. Only spended like 5 million gold on AH to support it - All thoes items sold fast again, and more gold earned on the loots I found while lvling.

I had borns + that other set, and hellfire ring...I renember I actually got a full level on torment1, inn the early 10's....Lvling is way fast now, atleast with that buff.

Before it took like 15-20 hours for average lvling I think. Ofcourse rush was also much faster, so people did that.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

If you have a friend who can handle Torment 6 COTA runs, I went from ~40 to 60 in about 15-20 minutes with a friends monk. 1-60 would definitely take no more than an hour if you do them quick and efficient. But I know this wasn't really your question. Going solo just pick the highest one you can and still be able to clear fairly quick. If you find yourself running a lot or dying a lot tone it down. Just remember that turning it up as high as you can survive isn't necessarily the best choice, if you're clearing slow as hell that xp boost obv. isn't as effective. I think I did expert for most of my 1-40, or whatever the 2nd one above normal is. I didn't really experiment, just picked it and went with it.
    Main - Spirál - Hunter

Deleted
    If you havent got a 60, throw it on expert and farm COTA once you get to it. Even as a level 20, it will give an absolute shit load of exp.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, playing on HC, I'm always doing the 1-60 run again because I lost a character. While I have a growing supply of lowbie legendaries, I don't have XP boost gear, like Hellfire Rings, just my paragon levels. I find the sweet spot for difficulty is Hard; the monsters aren't much harder to kill, but the increased XP is well worth it. Going to Expert or Master is absolutely doable, in terms of kill speed, but it's riskier (bad, on Hardcore, at least) and the slower kill speed due to higher enemy health means the XP you gain over time actually drops. Sure, someone starting on Torment 1 might hit 60 before clearing Act 2, but I'm probably clearing Diablo at that point on Hard, unless they were buying stuff off the AH or had a much bigger pile of twink gear to pull from.

And again; this isn't because I can't hack Expert. Here's the changes per difficulty; http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/guid...ame-difficulty

Going from Hard to Expert is a ~13% increase in experience gain (175% to 200%), but mob health increases by over 50%, from 2x normal health to 3.2x. Unless you've got the gear to be one-shotting everything on the run, Expert usually slows down the XP gain a bit; more XP per kill but slower kills. Master turns that around, but in my experience, Master is rough for a newer player who lacks gear, and on hardcore it's just too risky when leveling.
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-03-21 at 06:56 PM.

get a lv 60 friend to help you. you make the game on t6 since the monsters scale to your level. and he should have no problem 1shotting everything till at least lv 45ish then each time you level the mobs will start to get harder.

you can always drop it to t5 or t4 if theyre too hard for him to kill when your levels get into the 50s. but it should go fast.

note though.. everything that touches you on t6 will 1shot you. just stay in the back and pick up stuff. enjoy your new 60 in about an hour to 2. maybe less depending on how fast you kill stuff.

I got my barb from 14-60 in about an hour just doing all the quests in act 1 but if you just farm cota id imagine it goes faster

Deleted
    pm me your btag if u want a boost, im usually bored anyway!