Motherboard question. More the better, or doesn't matter?

Okay so a few months ago I built my first PC. Kinda went a bit too over-board and bought some extreme stuff I don't really use to its full potential (I7 for gaming, Overkill PSU / 200$ Mobo. Have 1 GPU as the only installment in it) My niece want's a computer and my Sister was planning on going to Bestbuy and buying one from there. I decided it would be a lot better if I just built her one.

Now leads me to my question. If the PC I build (only planning on attaching a GPU to the Mobo to this one as well) does it really matter what I get then? As long as the socket matches CPU can I just get one with the PCI E x16 slot and be good? Those ones I see usually are in the 40s low 50s. this for Instance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157367 Never see people with these types of Mobos in their builds. Has me wondering, does the old saying "You get what you pay for" falls here in terms of quality? Like its a cheap price, so is it cheap parts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    Now leads me to my question. If the PC I build (only planning on attaching a GPU to the Mobo to this one as well) does it really matter what I get then? As long as the socket matches CPU can I just get one with the PCI E x16 slot and be good? Those ones I see usually are in the 40s low 50s. this for Instance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157367 Never see people with these types of Mobos in their builds. Has me wondering, does the old saying "You get what you pay for" falls here in terms of quality? Like its a cheap price, so is it cheap parts?
    I'm not really sure what you mean "If the PC I build (only planning on attaching a GPU to the Mobo to this one as well)", if you build PC you have to put all the parts together, not just put in the GPU into mobo.
    As for your answer about mobo, yes any cheap mobo will do, but you can get a decent quality one that is also cheap.
    Are you building PC from scratch or do you have some parts? That mobo you linked is from previous generation (socket 1155).
    PM me weird stuff :3

I mean like how you got multiple PCI slots. I don't plan on using any besides the x16 for the GPU. So why not just get a Mobo with only the x16 slot. They're usually very cheap from what I see

And in terms of what I linked. It was just a example. If you can find one for the current generation would be cool, I'm still looking (That was just the first I found to show as an example of what I was talking about)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c313 View Post
    I mean like how you got multiple PCI slots. I don't plan on using any besides the x16 for the GPU. So why not just get a Mobo with only the x16 slot. They're usually very cheap from what I see

And in terms of what I linked. It was just a example. If you can find one for the current generation would be cool, I'm still looking (That was just the first I found to show as an example of what I was talking about)
    Usually smaller boards have less RAM slots as well, and less other features, also since micro ATX size mobo's require less materials to make, they are the cheapest mobos around, for Haswell http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h81mhds
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Yes, you don't need it if you don't use it. Of course, you don't want to get too much "china-ware", but any major brand will do.

10+ Year Old Account
    My policy is this.

For lower end systems (i3, non-overclocking, business use, etc), just get the cheapest board from a GOOD brand.

Any of these I often recommend for that kind of setup, as budget is usually the focus.

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($52.99 @ Newegg)

When you move into overclocking and higher end systems with a 4670K, then board quality and price DOES have a factor... To an extent. For someone budget minded, low end is better than not overclocking, but if budget allows, a $120-$150 board may be a better choice... And while price does not EQUAL quality, it's a general guideline. The best thing to do it ask, first. Anything over $150 is usually a waste of money, or has something -very- specific someone wants (but usually a waste of money regardless).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    For your niece to do Facebook and email and web surfing, it might be easier (and cheaper) to just get her a refurb for not much money

Something like this: https://www.dailysteals.com/icemonkey/#d/17684

Add a $100 (or less) monitor and you have a perfect 'kid' computer for less than $300.