Requesting tips for Garrosh - 10N

Hello fellow Warlocks,

I've been trying to get Garrosh down with my guild, but so far we haven't succeeded yet. At first we had massive issues with our tanks getting one-shot, but that has been resolved now. On average, we're able to get Garrosh down to around 40-45% in phase 2, getting Empowered Whirling on the second intermission, rather than the first. However, once we do get the Empowered Whirling, we seem to wipe every time, even though we spread out and "solo" our adds. On a side note, I've seen the add that I was supposed to dispose of, run towards the tank, even though I smacked it in the face a couple of times (usually RoF before it spawns, followed by a Conflag-Incinerate).

Our current raid setup is this:

Protection Paladin (or Blood DK, depends on what he wants to play)
    Brewmaster Monk
    Restoration Druid
    Holy Paladin
    Disc Priest (might be switching to Frost DK)
    Destruction Warlock (me! )
    Survival Hunter
    Elemental Shaman
    Combat Rogue
    Enhancement Shaman

We've got a raid planned for tonight, where the aim is to get Garrosh down, as we've cleared all the other bosses already. Should we not be able to get him down, I'll try to post our logs in this thread for further advice.

Palefire
    EU-Tarren Mill

Deleted
    Switching to 2 healers would help. Most of the damage is predictable and can be mitigated through cooldown rotations. Make sure that after dealing with adds your raiders are positioned to drop a good desecrate (preferably against a wall), and that you all get under the boss ready for Mind Control's so you can break them out instantly.

Your prot pala should turn off Righteous Fury for when the adds spawn.

Thanks for the tips Liquidsteel! I'll make sure to let my raid team know what you've told me.

Also - instead of dpsing the weapons in phase 2, could we just "dance" around the room and focus more on burning Garrosh down quickly?

We had to 3 heal it on our first kills as our raid makeup didn't have enough raid walls to deal with the empowered whirl. You, on the other hand, have a ton. 2 Devo Auras, Tranq and 2 shaman CDs should be enough. With the extra DPS you'll likely only need to survive two whirls.

40-45% at second intermission does seem pretty poor though. Even our first kills with 3 heals were 30-35 range. Are you ignoring the axes during P2 and putting everything on Garrosh? The room has an incredible amount of space, use it instead of wasting dps.

During phase 2 we've been focusing more on adds and axes than the boss, but maybe "dancing" around the room would be more effective. I'll make sure to try that tonight!

Is your group using raid CDs for Whirl/Empowered Whirl? The damage output can be overbearing if some healers struggle with that. However for the add you shouldn't really be having threat issues, are you very close to the tank or something?

Edit: Do you have logs I could look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Phazelol View Post
    Is your group using raid CDs for Whirl/Empowered Whirl? The damage output can be overbearing if some healers struggle with that. However for the add you shouldn't really be having threat issues, are you very close to the tank or something?

Edit: Do you have logs I could look at?
    I am terribly sorry, I forgot to log our attempts tonight, so I can't link them. We had a couple of nice tries tonight, best one getting us to 25% in P2. We'll continue tomorrow to get him down, and hopefully I'll remember to log (if I do, I will provide a link in this thread as a reply). :P

We've sorted out the threat issues as well now. We're spreading not as far as we used to, which works rather fine for the empowered whirling. All we need to do now is ramp up the DPS during phase 2 and we should (finally) have a kill.

Also, regarding raid cooldowns - we're using Devo Aura during the first Empowered Whirling, then our druid's Tranq and on the third one, should we get it, we'll use the prot paladin's Devo Aura. For the fourth I guess we could use one of our shaman's Healing Tide Totems.

Yup try two healing and ignoring weapons in all of phase 2. That's how my guild got the kill. If your DPS is very good, you will only get 1 empowered Whirling Corruption in phase 2 then 1 in P3. P3 adds you'll ignore while burning down the boss n taking care of MCs.

If it's your Prot Paladin taking your adds in P2, it's mostly likely high vengeance Eternal Flames pulling them, which is why he needs to toggle off Righteous Fury on the Whirl. Then he pops it back for P3 adds. If your Disc plays his DK, you might want to move into melee for MCs. So get used to a rotation of weapon drop > move in for MCs > move out to the next weapon drop spot, rinse n repeat till the transition. The last Whirling before the second transition, you won't get MCs after it, so you drop the weapon and you stay max range.

For p2 weapon placement, the easiest way for us was to have ranged run towards the stairs where garrosh was, drop the first weapon there, move in for MCs, then out to drop the next weapon right next to it, close to the wall. Tanks will have to move the boss along the middle to keep up with ranged, but no so close that the whirl hurts them.

Edit: ahh kinda too late with the tips Good luck on your next try though
    Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Basemath View Post
    Yup try two healing and ignoring weapons in all of phase 2. That's how my guild got the kill. If your DPS is very good, you will only get 1 empowered Whirling Corruption in phase 2 then 1 in P3. P3 adds you'll ignore while burning down the boss n taking care of MCs.

If it's your Prot Paladin taking your adds in P2, it's mostly likely high vengeance Eternal Flames pulling them, which is why he needs to toggle off Righteous Fury on the Whirl. Then he pops it back for P3 adds. If your Disc plays his DK, you might want to move into melee for MCs. So get used to a rotation of weapon drop > move in for MCs > move out to the next weapon drop spot, rinse n repeat till the transition. The last Whirling before the second transition, you won't get MCs after it, so you drop the weapon and you stay max range.

For p2 weapon placement, the easiest way for us was to have ranged run towards the stairs where garrosh was, drop the first weapon there, move in for MCs, then out to drop the next weapon right next to it, close to the wall. Tanks will have to move the boss along the middle to keep up with ranged, but no so close that the whirl hurts them.

Edit: ahh kinda too late with the tips Good luck on your next try though
    What we did tonight was a massive change from our usual tactic, but it worked out brilliantly. Our disc priest did go to his DK, and we had another destro lock instead of the survival hunter (he was AWOL :P). Phase 1 was pretty easy, and we were able to have some casual banter going on because everyone was feeling comfortable with the mechanics and stuff.

During phase 2 we did stack at melee for the MC (failed once, because I didn't check out the timers - so we stacked for whirling :P). We did dps the weapons down though, but I assume that if we leave them up all the time, we'll have the phase done more quickly. Then for phase 3 we're planning to BL as soon as he's on the ground and just going crazy with dps, which should leave us with 1 of each of this "specials".

Also - tips are never late. We might not have been able to use them tonight, but we will be able to use them in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Palefire View Post
    Also, regarding raid cooldowns - we're using Devo Aura during the first Empowered Whirling, then our druid's Tranq and on the third one, should we get it, we'll use the prot paladin's Devo Aura. For the fourth I guess we could use one of our shaman's Healing Tide Totems.
    Not sure if people being low/dying is still an issue but I'd recommend having your healers work out a more effective CD rotation. From the reading your comp I'm getting this list:

2x Devotion Aura
    2x Ancestral Guidance
    1x Incarnation(If your druid is specced into it)
    2x Healing Tide Totem
    1x Tranq

This list excludes AMZ/Disc Bubble but you get the point. Especially if you are 2 healing you probably want to organize this stuff.(It'll be useful for when you get to H Thok in particular)

And for the damage/other stuffs I'd need logs to give you some more advice. Other than that good luck!

Deleted
    FYI you can still dps him when he's healing at the start of p3 so you should pop BL and nuke as soon as he starts the roleplay.

He heals by a fixed amount, not to a certain amount.

Just a quick update - I got Garrosh down with a pug (raid leader called our scheduled raid because we were missing a few key members). Now that I've seen the whole fight I'm quite sure that I can help my guild a lot better. Your tips have helped me gain a better understanding of the fight as well, so a big thank you to everyone who took the time to help me