700$-800$ budget help please

Hi I recently got my friend into computer gaming And his computer his computer just broke and rather buy a new PC instead of repairing his old one. He came to me for guidance on what computer he should buy but told me he does not want to build a computer for his first gaming PC it maybe down the road when he has the time and money he would think of doing so. I've been looking for a gaming PC for him so he can play wow and possibly other games like titanfall. And so far in his budget I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...tem=83-227-536. Can anyone give me insight if this is a good enough computer for his 700$-800$ budget or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated !

10+ Year Old Account
    Might just toss out there that building a system is -cheaper- than a prebuilt. It's only more expensive if you choose it to be. He'll get a better system if you or he can put it together, and have better parts for it too.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Might just toss out there that building a system is -cheaper- than a prebuilt. It's only more expensive if you choose it to be. He'll get a better system if you or he can put it together, and have better parts for it too.
    I'm trying to convince him to just build it but the main problem is that neither of us know how to build a PC. I had a family member build mine but they recently passed away .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobgoon View Post
    I'm trying to convince him to just build it but the main problem is that neither of us know how to build a PC. I had a family member build mine but they recently passed away .
    There are a bunch of good how-to videos on youtube, watch them then you might change your mind?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zOYdNEHDQo
    PM me weird stuff :3

This may get me lynched, but as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't comfortable troubleshooting a computer, you've got no business building one. Yes, you'll probably spend less and get better parts, but if something goes wrong, it's on you to figure out what.

If you're willing to shoulder that responsibility, it's probably worth it though. (Just hope you don't end up in my shoes)

Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    This may get me lynched, but as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't comfortable troubleshooting a computer, you've got no business building one. Yes, you'll probably spend less and get better parts, but if something goes wrong, it's on you to figure out what.

If you're willing to shoulder that responsibility, it's probably worth it though. (Just hope you don't end up in my shoes)
    Ya that's another problem about why I don't build a computer if I don't know how >.<

I built my first one using the above linked video last Friday. It worked. If you do it the most complicated thing in my mind was the whole stand offs on the case.
    I say you should try it, and if you can't get it to work than just take it to one of the local places and have them do it for you. Probably cost you $100 and you'll spend a lot more than that on a prebuilt. Your budget of $800 will get you an excellent gaming PC if you build it your self, but just barely. You're sure to take some performance hits going prebuilt with this budget.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're really worried about building it than you buy the exact case, mobo, CPU, (the GPU is probably too expensive). Than just copy the video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post

If you're really worried about building it than you buy the exact case, mobo, CPU, (the GPU is probably too expensive). Than just copy the video.
    No no, you won't afford most of the stuff for 800$ budget

I was barely able to squeeze in 4670k build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $799.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-18 02:15 EDT-0400)

I assume he has OS and monitor because he had old PC? Maybe he can reuse some old parts as well? Like HDD, maybe RAM?
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2014-03-18 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    No no, you won't afford most of the stuff for 800$ budget

I was barely able to squeeze in 4670k build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $799.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-18 02:15 EDT-0400)

I assume he has OS and monitor because he had old PC? Maybe he can reuse some old parts as well? Like HDD, maybe RAM?
    He had an all in one monitor computer. And it's completely broken haha. He has a friend that's giving him a monitor though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobgoon View Post
    He had an all in one monitor computer. And it's completely broken haha. He has a friend that's giving him a monitor though
    So he needs an OS? That's around 85$.