Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Here's another question. As you approach c, the amount of time needed to travel the 50 light years would appear to be shorter, reaching 0 at c itself (yes, impossible). Now let's say you surpass c. I know the outside observer would perceive you to arrive before you left (backwards time travel), but from the traveler's perspective, what would they experience? Would it feel like time passing again after passing c? Would 200% c make it feel like it was taking 50 years to travel 50 light years even though in the outside world negative time would have passed?
    It's an interesting question but it breaks our current understanding of physics, I mean. There's really no possible way of knowing what would happen since anything going faster than the speed of light shouldn't be possible. But yet, I'm fairly certain that I read something in the big bang - discovery thing the other day, that the reason it was detectable was because for a very short time after the big bang, the universe was expanding faster than the speed of light, or something like that, and that caused some kind of ripple effect. So, ehh. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Well you end up with imaginary values in the lorentz factor if you go past c, so based on relativity alone this scenario doesn't really make a whole lot of physical sense.

We would need new physics to have any idea of what would happen past c.
    AFAIK, relativity would work exactly the same way on the other side of the light barrier, only backwards. You get a mirror of the graph, with your rate of time increasing the faster you go (approaching 1 at infinite velocity) with less and less energy required to continue accelerating. Whereas you need more and more energy to decelerate to speeds approaching c (and your rate of time would decrease the slower you went).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    AFAIK, relativity would work exactly the same way on the other side of the light barrier, only backwards. You get a mirror of the graph, with your rate of time increasing the faster you go (approaching 1 at infinite velocity) with less and less energy required to continue accelerating. Whereas you need more and more energy to decelerate to speeds approaching c (and your rate of time would decrease the slower you went).

Yea, but I wouldn't place too much faith in this. This is an extension done as a sort of "what if" mathematics exercise. It also doesn't preclude the possibility of different extensions that give different behavior. So in the absence of any evidence for FTL stuff, it's best to refrain from trying to attach any physical meaning to FTL behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, but I wouldn't place too much faith in this. This is an extension done as a sort of "what if" mathematics exercise. It also doesn't preclude the possibility of different extensions that give different behavior. So in the absence of any evidence for FTL stuff, it's best to refrain from trying to attach any physical meaning to FTL behavior.
    It may be best not to attach any certainty to it, but it is a good thing to think about the implications. It's useful both in terms of a mental exercise and in terms of enjoyment. Plus, it's those "what if" scenarios that have enabled physicists to come up with some of the great advances in physics.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Most of the great advances I can think of happened because there was a perplexing observation that needed explaining. There really is absolutely nothing at all right now that would motivate an extension of Special Relativity. We had a near miss a while back with the FTL neutrinos, so I'm sure that motivated some research into these possibilities.

That being said, it's interesting to me as just a mathematical thingy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

To summarize:
    Earth frame: spaceship clock runs slow, spaceship appears shorter.
    Spaceship frame: outside world clock runs slow, outside world appears shorter.
    Earth frame: spaceship clock runs slow, spaceship appears longer.
    Spaceship frame: outside world clock runs fast, outside world appears shorter.

This is the only way it makes sense. Both clocks can't both run slow. Both things can't both get shorter.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people light not like this but it is just a theory, it may be one of the most credited ones but has not been 100% proven. Maybe one day we can truly test this theory on a massive scale.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Some people light not like this but it is just a theory, it may be one of the most credited ones but has not been 100% proven. Maybe one day we can truly test this theory on a massive scale.
    Time dilation due to relative movement speeds and mass are both proven. GPS satellites using the formulas from Special Relativity are why your GPS doesn't have a 10 km per day error.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Time dilation due to relative movement speeds and mass are both proven. GPS satellites using the formulas from Special Relativity are why your GPS doesn't have a 10 km per day error.
    Just a certain part of it is true does not necessarily mean that all of it is true. It helps though.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose