Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Banning cigarettes are one thing, but tobacco is just another recreational drug that people should be free to peruse if they wish to.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Forty bucks for a carton of cigs. Yeah, I'd rather just spend that money on mexican cokes and die happy.

They should remove the crappy high ass tax on them and mind their own business. If people want to smoke let em, if someone doesn't like that they are then just move a few feet away or turn a fan on and go back to living eachothers lives.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    They should remove the crappy high ass tax on them and mind their own business. If people want to smoke let em, if someone doesn't like that they are then just move a few feet away or turn a fan on and go back to living eachothers lives.
    I can get behind this, if people who smoke are denied medicare/medicaid and aren't allowed to visit a doctor without paying in cash up front.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I can get behind this, if people who smoke are denied medicare/medicaid and aren't allowed to visit a doctor without paying in cash up front.

Thats just bias hate, That would be like Drinkers/Eaters of anything that isn't 100% organic only/Red meat eaters/Non 100% clean fresh water drinkers/ etc etc being excluded because its not healthy.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Thats just bias hate, That would be like Drinkers/Eaters of anything that isn't 100% organic only/Red meat eaters/Non 100% clean fresh water drinkers/ etc etc being excluded because its not healthy.
    LOL IM ABOUT TO PULL THE WORST SHIT YOUVE EVER SEEN SO LAUGH WITH ME... Eating and drinking are necessities smoking is not it's a trend that became popular because it once was synonymous of economic power and tobacco companies saw the chance to make huge profits in it's addictiveness and slapped extra nicotine in their products to milk more idiots who got hooked trying to be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    depending on what happens, you could easily exceed the amount of money you've paid into insurance. doing something incredibly risky, like eating too much of the wrong foods and smoking, will likely result in you needing other people's money.
    Well, almost any major medical issue will exceed the amount you've paid in (depending on your policy of course). Hell having a laparoscopic appendectomy can easily cost upwards of $35k, and that may not include clinic/ER visit, radiology costs, and after care costs. The "needing other people's money" argument isn't really valid, as we use "other's people money" all of the time. The roads we drive on are maintained via taxes, any road you don't drive on and someone else does is them using "someone else's money", just as a general example.

Mind you I'm not a smoker, and I am a healthcare worker. I have pretty strong anti-smoking feelings, but I am not going to attempt to tell someone else how to live their life. We live in a society, and part of that is that we take care of each other in a general sense. All of the money we put into taxes, the money we pay for insurance premiums, the money we spend at retail, pretty much everything we do helps support someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    You can see by the OP's post this is pretty loaded.

From the article. Thats what its about. It's about mixed messages. Selling tobacco in a pharmacy.

On the wider top that has been brought up : the information on tobacco is out there. It's not the govenment or anyone elses job to decide for you. Smoking is a healthcare issue much like drinking (and what drugs should be). To decide for other people is morally presumptuous.
    Hell yeah! Maybe since we all know what Heroin, Morphine, and Meth do we should just sell those over the counter, too. Because, by your logic, if you're too stupid to not know what you're getting into you deserve what you get. Can't have the gubment deciding for us what addictive, health-damaging drugs to consume. Freeeeedom!

Smoking costs the US something like $250 billion a year. If you can prove that any of the hyperbole you've offered here is in the same ball park, let's see it.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Smoking costs the US something like $250 billion a year. If you can prove that any of the hyperbole you've offered here is in the same ball park, let's see it.
    And before they link obesity, they have to keep in mind no singular group of products is individually responsible.

Sorry smokers and libertarians, smoking IS a special case that deserves to be outlawed everywhere, and here's exactly why:

1) Tobacco smoke is harmful to the person using it, to others around them, and to people who come in contact with tobacco smoke residue long after it is gone.

2) Tobacco smoke has no medical value

3) It is nearly impossible to control second-hand smoke in indoor environments

This "trifecta" of qualities makes smoking the most logical substance to outlaw. No other commonly abused substance in the world fails every test of utility and safety. Alcohol can lead to deadly behavior, but its consumption in moderation has health benefits, and is not physically toxic to those around the drinker. Marijuana smoke is hard to control in a public environment, but has many medical uses and no evidence of impacting life expectancy.

Alcohol
    US users: 150 million
    US deaths: 88,000

Tobacco
    US users: 42 million
    US deaths: 500,000

Cannabis
    US users: 20 million
    Us deaths: 0

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Either that or I as a taxpayer will suffer when I have to pay for you smoking-caused medical problems. Remember, because you are too stupid to decide for yourself.
    You can say the same thing about Alcohol and we see the way that worked out. Then again I don't know of anyone who buys tobacco 1 pack/can at a time and the "tobacco stores/beer stores" always have better prices.

I think we need to request that retailers not sell cars and trucks that are capable of doing more then 70 mph. That is the median speed limit on the interstate in the US and there is no need for a car that exceeds this speed. Why just think of the lives we'd save due to high speed crashes and police chases.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Littleshashi View Post
    Cannabis
    US users: 20 million
    Us deaths: 0
    If you're going to include drunk driving deaths when discussing alcohol related deaths, impaired driving while high needs to be included for marijuana.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I think we need to request that retailers not sell cars and trucks that are capable of doing more then 70 mph. That is the median speed limit on the interstate in the US and there is no need for a car that exceeds this speed. Why just think of the lives we'd save due to high speed crashes and police chases.
    If only driving over the speed limit was illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If I understand this correctly, roughly 12,500 deaths are attributed to drunk driving. That leaves the other 75,500 deaths to be caused in more direct ways.
    And if you're going to include those deaths, you need to also include deaths related to driving while high on marijuana. Who knows what that number is, but I'm pretty sure it's not 0.

There is insufficient data at this time to conclude how many fatal car accidents are attributed solely to marijuana, because most vehicular deaths that involve marijuana also involve other subtances, usually alcohol. It may be zero, but for the sake of fairness, the highest number I have found is about 500 per year, but that data is not official.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well, good, though only a request but still going in the right direction to stop tobacco sales
    They tried this already-with alcohol- it was called Prohibition.

We saw how well that worked out.

History has a way of repeating itself. You ban tobacco all together, people will still find ways to get it.
    Last edited by taheen74; 2014-03-19 at 07:33 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    But they weren't even replying to each other. So I'm very confused why you're so amused by this.
    If it fits it sits.