Why TESO isn't as good as you think it will be?

So I played the beta of TESO and there were a couple of things that I hated it about that mainly has to do with exploration. I just want to say that I have played skyrim, oblivion, and morrowind and I love those games and have played them for hours. The thing that really infuriated me is when I got off tutorial island (I was playing a nord at the time) and it was apparent what I needed to do in order to move on to the next zone, I would need to complete quests in that area in order to go where I wanted and that really is no what the Elder Scrolls is about. I thought to myself "wow even WoW lets me go wherever I wanted. Sure I would die with high level stuff but I can explore at will". The biggest component of that franchise and they had to go and it mess up by not being able to explore the world at will with finding quests on your own. I know they did this because is an MMO, because they want to keep people playing and grind to go and see the next zone. IDK maybe this was just still a tutorial because I was puzzled and asked around if this was it, but it seem to be that you had to complete stuff in that zone to get out to the next zone. I even try to swim to around the giant continent and I couldn't, I would just die if I tried.

I just don't understand how they could mess this MMO up. All they had to do was make skyrim but with a lot a bunch of players and they couldn't even do that IMO.
    "Remember, There's no such thing as a stupid question until you ask it"

Deleted
    Maybe you should rename the title to:
    'Why I think TESO wasn't as good as I thought it would be'

EDIT: Also, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...e-(NDA-Lifted)
    Last edited by mmoc933021f019; 2014-03-18 at 07:08 PM.

No, they did it better. They created a world with gates through levels. As far as I know there is nothing preventing a lvl 3 to walk all the way towards the lvl 50 zone of his faction, except that the average mudcrab will totally rape you once you stick your nose in that region. Same as WoW.

An open world like Eso 3 - 5 is very difficult for an mmo, because it poses numerous difficulties. If mobs scaled towards players, what moment would they be scaled? How would that interact with other players? Imagine a mob that casts a random AE at every enemy within 30 ft. A lvl 50 tags that mob and pulls it towards a starting zone, where it immediatly disintegrates every new player in the vicinity. Even if mobs abilities ignored anyone with x levels below, there would still be a bunch of players attacking said mob. The level system established over the years with zones matched to several Playerlevels is the easiest. It's uncommon for Elder scrolls games, but the best solution. ESO gives you other reasons to explore, like hidden quests, treasure maps, chests, NPCs. It is more rewarding towards exploration then any other mmo I played (not that many, I admit - WAR, FFXIVARR, SWTOR, and of course WOW), which is a very good thing! Skyrim for many players would be terrible.

The game still catches the atmosphere of the ESO universe pretty good. I'm sorry to hear that it isn't to your liking, but that doesn't make it a bad game. What I've seen so far is much to my liking (I've been blessed with basically no errors or bugs). It needs a little polishing, but I have faith in Zen to do that. Early acces can't come soon enough.

Also, WoW doesn't let you go wherever you want. I think you need to be at least lvl 58 to step through the portal, and Northrend has a built in levelcheck aswell, I think. Also, there is nothing to explore in WoW, anyway, except for variable deaths through high level mobs.

A new thread for this is not needed. Please use the megathread for general ESO discussion.