10+ Year Old Account

Can you install a program on more than 1 account windows 8?

Im having this problem a lot. Most of the things I install I have to re-install twice. Is there a way on windows 8 to install something on both accounts?(the admin, and non admin account) I googled this but cant find anything promising with a real answer.

Ugh I got some google results and it sounds like you can't. There's one school that bought windows 8 machines and they have over 500 profiles for students. That means they'd have to install it 500 times. What crap!

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate how admin accounts work in windows. Half your permissions are taken away, and even when you run something in admin mode its still not as good sometimes.

15+ Year Old Account
    You dont need to reinstall it multiple times, the admin account has to set the permissions when installing it for which users have access.

listen to moremana!

15+ Year Old Account
    This sounds like [in the case of the school] a task that Active Directory Group Policies should be absolutely suited for...
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Deleted
    Proper programs or those bullshit Metro phone apps?

For real programs just copy a shortcut to the programs exe onto whoevers desktop or Start Menu..

10+ Year Old Account
    Proper programs. If I install something on say the admin account, it doesn't install on the non admin account and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Proper programs. If I install something on say the admin account, it doesn't install on the non admin account and vice versa.
    I've installed Firefox and Startisback on one of my computers via admin account and they were available on other accounts as well. One of the installation panes ask whether you want to install for "just me" or "all users".

Deleted
    Just copy a shortcut to the programs then, the programs install all the same its just the installer doesnt make a shortcut for every user.

Deleted
    Im having this problem a lot. Most of the things I install I have to re-install twice. Is there a way on windows 8 to install something on both accounts?(the admin, and non admin account) I googled this but cant find anything promising with a real answer.
    It really depends on the software. Some install per user, some per PC. The per user install files are available to other accounts but often shortcuts are placed on just that uses desktop/start menu, but worse sometimes the required registry keys are only present in the user tree causing the software not to work under other users.

Working in a hospital with over 3000 deployed PC's and multiple staff working on each it's a pain in the ass sometimes.

This is under XP however with older software so might not apply to Win7/8. Hospitals don't like upgrading to latest versions